C Berkly Catton - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2024, 8th, SEA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
One of the most underrated/under talked about top 10 guys in my time following the sport. Especially for a Canadian, you would think the hype train would be larger.
It seems he’s playing better and moving down lists.

Why? He’s one of the most skilled players in this draft, plays in every zone, skates very well, and is having a good season.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
Who would you compare Catton to?
Player comparisons are not exactly a strength of mine, but I'll give it a shot. Even as way back as bantam the one player he reminded me of - and this will probably get some push back - is Joe Sakic. Back in the day I was able to watch a lot of Joe's games when he was playing in Swift. The way Catton drives lines, competes, is a dual threat passing and scoring, and shows up in big moments reminds me a lot of those old Bronco days. Both just played the game with a natural feel. Anyway, I'm sure there's better, more modern comparisons, but that's who came to mind for me.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
There’s a huge tier of 6-7 guys who have an argument for #2 and I think Catton is one of them. It’ll be interesting how the draft after Celebrini plays out.
Completely agree here, Silayev, Levshunov, Lidstrom, Catton, Eiserman, Demidov and Dickinson can all go as high as 2 IMO.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Spokane's bottom 3 lines suck but he has a couple solid WHL scorers on his wings so I don't really know if that's an issue in terms of the guys he's actually playing with. He has a good shot and he likes using it, and uses it a lot.

He has a weird profile. So does Bedard, but he's Bedard. There aren't a lot of small, shoot-first Cs in the NHL.
I'm not so sure on the "couple of solid WHL scorers on his wings" comment.

Both guys as full aged WHLers scored 24 and 28 goals last year and are over agers this year.

They basically aren't good enough for the next level and might never be but I'm a huge Catton fan just loved his processing skills and his dynamic game at the Hlinka and he is going to be an outstanding franchise center man in the NHL.

Reactions: Bubbles

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm not so sure on the "couple of solid WHL scorers on his wings" comment.

Both guys as full aged WHLers scored 24 and 28 goals last year and are over agers this year.

They basically aren't good enough for the next level and might never be but I'm a huge Catton fan just loved his processing skills and his dynamic game at the Hlinka and he is going to be an outstanding franchise center man in the NHL.

Roulette and Bertholet have both been roughly point-per-game players through their 18-19 y/o seasons. They were good WHL players even before they were overagers.

He's a very good prospect who will go pretty high in this draft but I don't see 'franchise C' in him at all.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If we're talking about a WHL draft-eligible whose point totals are being raised by others, it seems to me like thats Lindstrom. He plays on a team with the likely 1OA in 2026 that can pass other players open for a tap-in, and then another good scoring forward that could be a first or second round pick in 2024.

Not saying those guys are completely responsible for his totals, but Catton plays with a bunch of bums in comparison to who Lindstrom is playing with.

Reactions: Dominance and TLEH

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Player comparisons are not exactly a strength of mine, but I'll give it a shot. Even as way back as bantam the one player he reminded me of - and this will probably get some push back - is Joe Sakic. Back in the day I was able to watch a lot of Joe's games when he was playing in Swift. The way Catton drives lines, competes, is a dual threat passing and scoring, and shows up in big moments reminds me a lot of those old Bronco days. Both just played the game with a natural feel. Anyway, I'm sure there's better, more modern comparisons, but that's who came to mind for me.
Catton would look good in Habs Jersey

Reactions: Nicko999

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Completely agree here, Silayev, Levshunov, Lidstrom, Catton, Eiserman, Demidov and Dickinson can all go as high as 2 IMO.
Yup, that’s the exact group I was thinking of, with the possible inclusion of Helenius.

It’s depressing as hell as a Sharks fan to know they the success or failure of our rebuild is 100% dependent on lottery balls. 2nd overall this year is pretty much equal to 8th overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad