C Berkly Catton - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2024, 8th, SEA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
With all this chatter about Catton going second, it's still absolutely wild to me that Benson dropped to 13th last year
Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 10.34.43 PM.png

Last edited:

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
With all this chatter about Catton going second, it's still absolutely wild to me that Benson dropped to 13th last yearView attachment 794202
And Benson isn't even that old, May birthday is pretty normal. Catton is the obvious January birthday Canadian so he's the oldest in his grade and hockey birthyear, but Catton has been so impressive that hopefully the relative age effect doesn't stunt him too much as time goes on

Last edited:
Reactions: rubenflamshep

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Benson had more issues than Catton. Both are smaller and have out-performed in every tournament or league they've played in. Catton is a little bigger than Benson and has superior skating capabilities.

At the time of the draft, Benson was under 5'10" with a lot of question marks surrounding his skating abilities. Some scouts thought his skating was below average. Some thought his skating would be fine at the NHL level. Either way, the combination of under-sized + average skating is not well-liked amongst NHL scouts.

Caufield fell similarly. A top 5 pick in talent alone, but his height hurt his stock a ton. 5'7" is very small and not many people his size ever make it to the NHL.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Benson had more issues than Catton. Both are smaller and have out-performed in every tournament or league they've played in. Catton is a little bigger than Benson and has superior skating capabilities.

At the time of the draft, Benson was under 5'10" with a lot of question marks surrounding his skating abilities. Some scouts thought his skating was below average. Some thought his skating would be fine at the NHL level. Either way, the combination of under-sized + average skating is not well-liked amongst NHL scouts.

Caufield fell similarly. A top 5 pick in talent alone, but his height hurt his stock a ton. 5'7" is very small and not many people his size ever make it to the NHL.
This is absolutely revisionist history. Only dumbasses thought Benson had skating issues and Catton has a half inch on Benson at best.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
This is absolutely revisionist history. Only dumbasses thought Benson had skating issues and Catton has a half inch on Benson at best.
I was very attentive at the time of the draft. I can promise you there were concerns about his skating for his size. That happened....

He got drafted 13th oa for a reason. Matthew Savoie was smaller and an inferior prospect that went 9th oa in 2022. He wasn't in the same draft, but definitely got drafted earlier than he should've if size was an issue. Size + skating go hand in hand for a ton of scouts

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I was very attentive at the time of the draft. I can promise you there were concerns about his skating for his size. That happened....

He got drafted 13th oa for a reason. Matthew Savoie was smaller and an inferior prospect that went 9th oa in 2022. He wasn't in the same draft, but definitely got drafted earlier than he should've if size was an issue. Size + skating go hand in hand for a ton of scouts
It sounds like you were attentive to HF boards at the time of the draft, not Benson himself. I watched 20+ games of Benson last year and I never had any concerns about his skating. Like I said, only dumbasses had skating concerns with Benson, and there are a lot of dumbasses on this forum.

And Benson is proving why he shouldn’t have lasted until 13th overall. In the NHL, as an 18 year old. He was a vastly superior WHLer at the same age compared to Catton. I do like Catton and I would certainly have time for the idea that Catton’s potential is higher, but Benson was one of the safest draft prospects I’ve ever seen and his potential is extremely high as well.

Reactions: FourQuarters

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
It sounds like you were attentive to HF boards at the time of the draft, not Benson himself. I watched 20+ games of Benson last year and I never had any concerns about his skating. Like I said, only dumbasses had skating concerns with Benson, and there are a lot of dumbasses on this forum.

And Benson is proving why he shouldn’t have lasted until 13th overall. In the NHL, as an 18 year old. He was a vastly superior WHLer at the same age compared to Catton. I do like Catton and I would certainly have time for the idea that Catton’s potential is higher, but Benson was one of the safest draft prospects I’ve ever seen and his potential is extremely high as well.
No, a few scouts were quoted by articles and some of my sources as well. It was more-so his size + skating combination that wasn't enticing from the NHL scouts. Not to the extremity of Perreault.

I had faith in both Benson and Caufield. Currently have Catton 6th, the kid can play. I'm still trying to re-work my rankings.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
No, a few scouts were quoted by articles and some of my sources as well. It was more-so his size + skating combination that wasn't enticing from the NHL scouts. Not to the extremity of Perreault.

I had faith in both Benson and Caufield. Currently have Catton 6th, the kid can play. I'm still trying to re-work my rankings.
“Some of your sources”?? Oy vey buddy.

The scouts were wrong. Go to the Benson thread, you’ll find posts from the few of us that watched Benson refuting the “skating concerns” constantly. It’s true that scouts said there were skating concerns, but those people were the type just looking for excuses to move Benson down their boards because he’s small.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

Feels like Savoie went high in part because he was a known quantity for a longer period of time (similar to Wright) dating back to minor hockey prestige, and in 2020-21, many thought 2022 would be the Wright-Lambert-Savoie draft, obviously before Cooley emerged.

As for Catton, he continues to get better, goes about his business without many paying attention. I also feel that most CHLers are getting less hype (outside of the major junior centric prospect watchers/prospect focused Canadian outlets) predraft since the CHL isn't producing studs as quickly as European Pro and the NCAA route are to some extent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Castle8130

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Most sources have it as a two inch discrepancy, and Catton isn’t yet 18. Could be more by the combine when we’ll see his official measurement.

I agree that Benson should’ve went before he did, but he’s not that comparable to Catton. Different types of players.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Feels like Savoie went high in part because he was known quantity for a longer period of time (similar to Wright) dating back to minor hockey prestige, and in 2020-21, many thought 2022 would be the Wright-Lambert Savoie draft, obviously before Cooley emerged.

As for Catton, he continues to get better, goes about his business without many paying attention. I also feel that most CHLers are getting less hype (outside of the major junior centric prospect watchers/prospect focused Canadian outlets) predraft since the CHL isn't producing studs as quickly as European Pro and the NCAA route are to some extent.
There are definitely a small portion of scouts that can't get over what they saw in players D-1 year. 2023 version would be Charlie Stramel. That kid was awful last year, but great the year prior.

I felt most scouts realized Savoie wasn't a game-breaking talent, but his speed was still highly coveted. I think if skating wasn't one of his strengths, he would've fallen a lot more

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

The scouts were wrong. Go to the Benson thread, you’ll find posts from the few of us that watched Benson refuting the “skating concerns” constantly. It’s true that scouts said there were skating concerns, but those people were the type just looking for excuses to move Benson down their boards because he’s small.
I've been around long enough to know that anytime someone quotes you and says "Ok Buddy", it doesn't mean they think you're their friend. It means it's about to go down lmao

No ill intent, we just have two differing memories of what happened

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Most sources have it as a two inch discrepancy, and Catton isn’t yet 18. Could be more by the combine when we’ll see his official measurement.

I agree that Benson should’ve went before he did, but he’s not that comparable to Catton. Different types of players.
There is just no way that Catton is 5’11”, he looks barely 5’10” if that.

I like Catton a ton, and I do agree that they aren’t the same type of player. I just mean that while I think there is a decent argument they Catton has higher upside, Benson was the superior prospect the same age because of all the off-puck skills he has in addition to his superior production. I get that Winnipeg was a much stronger team than Spokane is, but Benson was the biggest reason that team was so strong.

I've been around long enough to know that anytime someone quotes you and says "Ok Buddy", it doesn't mean they think you're their friend. It means it's about to go down lmao

No ill intent, we just have two differing memories of what happened
I was with you having a normal debate but when an online poster breaks out with “my sources” my eyes roll straight back into my head. I’m sure you understand…

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023
Both Benson and Catton are good players, I had Benson at 5th behind Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov. They're obviously different players, but from a numbers point I think Catton has been more impressive considering how stacked that Winnipeg Ice team was, although I'm not gonna act like you couldn't make decent arguments for picking either player depending on which skillset you prefer.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Both Benson and Catton are good players, I had Benson at 5th behind Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov. They're obviously different players, but from a numbers point I think Catton has been more impressive considering how stacked that Winnipeg Ice team was, although I'm not gonna act like you couldn't make decent arguments for picking either player depending on which skillset you prefer.
To be fair, Catton gets 100% of his ice time with Conner Roulette and Chase Bertholet – it doesn’t get much more stacked than that in the WHL right now, even though the rest of that team is garbage.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
To be fair, Catton gets 100% of his ice time with Conner Roulette and Chase Bertholet – it doesn’t get much more stacked than that in the WHL right now, even though the rest of that team is garbage.
What? Those guys aren’t the reason the line goes at all.

Also am I crazy or have people seen Benson’s speed numbers in the NHL? I saw a chart yesterday and hes in the slow poke quadrant a mile down. The dude is slow. But his edges are great and he’s so smart he makes it work.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad