C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Well Craig Button did say in the TSN video that if a team is set at centre, like the Oilers as he mentioned, they they'd probably go with Puljujärvi or Laine.
He did more or less say that the only team that'd take Pulju or Laine over Matthews would be the Oilers, because they're already so stacked with great young centres (McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH). Even in this case, I'm not convinced the Oilers wouldn't trade down (i.e. if Oilers pick #1, and Toronto's at #3, Toronto would pay LOTS to move up to #1), or that they wouldn't do something like keep Matthews, move Draisaitl to the wing, and possibly deal RNH for winger/d help.

I'm a big fan of Laine and Puljujarvi, but I do think Matthews is the clear #1, and the clear #1 will pretty much always go there, teams don't throw away value like that for "team need" reasons.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Only two teams I could see passing on Matthews at #1 (by trading down) are Edmonton and Buffalo.

My opinion, anyone passing on Matthews would be taking a big chance. I don't think you can pass on a on him and risk looking foolish while he plays his entire career. If he was in last year's draft, he would definitely gone 2 or 3. This year he is almost certain to go #1. Big, strong, skilled Franchise type Centers are rare finds.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He did more or less say that the only team that'd take Pulju or Laine over Matthews would be the Oilers, because they're already so stacked with great young centres (McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH). Even in this case, I'm not convinced the Oilers wouldn't trade down (i.e. if Oilers pick #1, and Toronto's at #3, Toronto would pay LOTS to move up to #1), or that they wouldn't do something like keep Matthews, move Draisaitl to the wing, and possibly deal RNH for winger/d help.

I'm a big fan of Laine and Puljujarvi, but I do think Matthews is the clear #1, and the clear #1 will pretty much always go there, teams don't throw away value like that for "team need" reasons.

I don't buy that from Button. Draisaitl is playing well right now but he's on one of the hottest streaks in the league. You can't pass on Matthews based on one good year by Draisaitl.

You draft Matthews and figure it all out. It's ridiculous we're even talking about the Oilers being in this position again but they draft Matthews 1st overall.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It'd take a GM with a lot of job security and confidence (think Holland or Lou with the Devils 10 years ago) to pass on Matthews. You pass on him and he succeeds, while your guy doesn't you'll never get a gm job again, most GM's are risk adverse when a scenario like that could blow up on them. At least if you draft Matthews and he busts, you can say everyone had him #1 and it was unforeseen.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
The thing is if team like edmonton get #1 pick again. They're set on centers and targeting possibly Laine. Would they risk to drop down to 3rd and possibly not getting Laine who is maybe the best goal scoring prospect since Ovie/Stammer? They would drop to 2nd at minium IMO if they target certain player in top 3 not named Matthews. We have to remember these wingers are 98's producing at same rate than Matthews 97. I think Matthews has less bust potential of all prospect but i think Laine has most boom potential and upside without much bust potential. If team needs #1 C they pick Matthews without a doubt. But i can see why couple of teams would rather pick Laine instead if they are set on C. If take out of their playing position it's really close. Of course some could feel the same with Puljujarvi but for me it's Laine.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
The thing is if team like edmonton get #1 pick again. They're set on centers and targeting possibly Laine. Would they risk to drop down to 3rd and possibly not getting Laine who is maybe the best goal scoring prospect since Ovie/Stammer? They would drop to 2nd at minium IMO if they target certain player in top 3 not named Matthews. We have to remember these wingers are 98's producing at same rate than Matthews 97. I think Matthews has less bust potential of all prospect but i think Laine has most boom potential and upside without much bust potential. If team needs #1 C they pick Matthews without a doubt. But i can see why couple of teams would rather pick Laine instead if they are set on C. If take out of their playing position it's really close. Of course some could feel the same with Puljujarvi but for me it's Laine.

IMO Edmonton could confidently trade down to 3rd. They would surely get one of the big 3, which I think they would be okay with. They could even trade down to 4 and pick up Chycrun. It's really kind of win-win situation for Edmonton.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
Or EDM tries to flip Matthews to Arizona for OEL for immediate defensive help.

Although, I hope they'll get their **** together and McDavid plays them out of the top pick discussion

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Edmonton should be banned from having the #1 overall pick again. How many do they need? They should be drafting out of the top 10 by this point, but we are talking about them possibly have the first overall. How incompetent is this franchise?

If this was Euro soccer (which it isn't), Edmonton would be in the AHL.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Matthews is a ****ing stud. If Edmonton wins the lottery AGAIN I will ****ing rage. They would be wise to move pieces for help though. I dont think they would trade the pick like some here think. I think its more likely to trade away one of the other centers than them to trade away another franchise center. Matthews >> Draisaitl+RNH

would you rather McD-Matthews-Drai/RNH

or McD-RNH/Drai-Drai/RNH??

If the Jackets ever got lucky enough to win the lottery, this is the year for it to happen. I cant even imagine the potential of this team with Matthews.

Johansen-Matthews-Dubinsky-Wennberg

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Well Craig Button did say in the TSN video that if a team is set at centre, like the Oilers as he mentioned, they they'd probably go with Puljujärvi or Laine.

I highly doubt even the Oilers would not take Mathews though.

He is the BPA and any team picking first would take him.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
It'd take a GM with a lot of job security and confidence (think Holland or Lou with the Devils 10 years ago) to pass on Matthews. You pass on him and he succeeds, while your guy doesn't you'll never get a gm job again, most GM's are risk adverse when a scenario like that could blow up on them. At least if you draft Matthews and he busts, you can say everyone had him #1 and it was unforeseen.

pretty much this.

There are 3 other great prospects close to Mathews in this years draft but Auston is the clear #1 and that isn't changing.

For the Oilers to move down and take either Finn (I doubt they would do it for Chychrun) they would need something very tangible coming back.

For example a pick in the #2 or 3 position plus a top level Dman prospect like Dermott

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I don't think you should always take a center over a winger. Skill-sets should be considered. Would you rather have a potential 50 goal scorer or 80-90 point two way center? Its a tough question.

It really depends on the teams needs.

I think the old Edmonton management would have been incompetent enough to keep drafting forwards for example.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Matthews is a ****ing stud. If Edmonton wins the lottery AGAIN I will ****ing rage. They would be wise to move pieces for help though. I dont think they would trade the pick like some here think. I think its more likely to trade away one of the other centers than them to trade away another franchise center. Matthews >> Draisaitl+RNH

would you rather McD-Matthews-Drai/RNH

or McD-RNH/Drai-Drai/RNH??

If the Jackets ever got lucky enough to win the lottery, this is the year for it to happen. I cant even imagine the potential of this team with Matthews.

Johansen-Matthews-Dubinsky-Wennberg

Is there any question of Johansen remaining a Columbus player though.

He has really been mistreated this year and might end up demanding a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad