C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
It's still too early to say, but atm Matthews isn't the best player of the tournament

He doesn't need to be, his sample size over a year and a half is better than anyone else's.

Matthews will never stand out by making a highlight reel play, so in a short tournament like this he won't look as dynamic as a Puljujarvi or a Laine or a Nylander, but he's by far the most consistent player out of the group not only in the last 4 games, but the entire season to date. That counts a lot for teams who are looking for players who will be able to step into their lineup for 80+ games in a season.

Matthews has been good enough to be the best player on his team, and it's a team that is winning games. That's good enough to solidify his hold on 1st overall.

ginopuck

Apr 2, 2012
Matthews is not a flashy player but he can score highlight reel goals and make highlight reel passes, he just doesn't do it a lot and he doesn't need to. He is just very consistent at giving his team the chance to win. He's like another Steve Yzerman but with the grit of Shane Doan.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Absolutely destroying Eichel's WJC performance last year. I said it before the draft, Matthews > Eichel, that Matthews would have gone 2nd if he'd been in last year's draft, and was ridiculed for it on here (heck, I was ridiculed for saying McDavid was significantly ahead of Eichel... a certain Devils fan was absolutely obsessed with calling me a Canadian homer, even though I'd always been high on Matthews).

You are bang on and I have echoed the same thoughts for a while around here.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He doesn't need to be, his sample size over a year and a half is better than anyone else's.

Matthews will never stand out by making a highlight reel play, so in a short tournament like this he won't look as dynamic as a Puljujarvi or a Laine or a Nylander, but he's by far the most consistent player out of the group not only in the last 4 games, but the entire season to date. That counts a lot for teams who are looking for players who will be able to step into their lineup for 80+ games in a season.

Matthews has been good enough to be the best player on his team, and it's a team that is winning games. That's good enough to solidify his hold on 1st overall.

Yeah he will.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011

His sample size is from crappy level-C league without a proper competition where he plays in the best team centering first line. Doesn't need to be even best player of the tournament because is playing along best team!

Sounds like a no brainer :sarcasm:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Button just made the Forsberg comparison too. This kid is really, really damn good, so smart and so skilled. Of course he probably won't be as good, but he really does play a lot like Forsberg.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Solidifying his #1 ranking.

One of 3 draft eligible players leading their teams in scoring, and all 3 teams are in the Semis. Impressive.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
His sample size is from crappy level-C league without a proper competition where he plays in the best team centering first line. Doesn't need to be even best player of the tournament because is playing along best team!

Playing against men at 18 and having success > Playing against 16-19 year olds and having success

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's very good, but I think he has competition for the #1 spot from Laine. Matthews has done an excellent job with his play at this tournament and this season in Switzerland, but if someone just prefers Laine's skill-set, what can he do? I'm a big fan of Matthews, but I think Laine might be just as good and have a rarer skill-set.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
He's very good, but I think he has competition for the #1 spot from Laine. Matthews has done an excellent job with his play at this tournament and this season in Switzerland, but if someone just prefers Laine's skill-set, what can he do? I'm a big fan of Matthews, but I think Laine might be just as good and have a rarer skill-set.

i don't think so I think it always comes down too Centre > winger, Laine is an insane talent though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Button in all his hand-wringing mentioned that you take the all-around center every time and I think that's true in the case as well and is how most if not all NHL teams see it. Matthews has all of the tools to be a top all-around center at the NHL level and you just don't pass up them. Matthews isn't what I call "flashy" but the results speak for themselves.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Button in all his hand-wringing mentioned that you take the all-around center every time and I think that's true in the case as well and is how most if not all NHL teams see it. Matthews has all of the tools to be a top all-around center at the NHL level and you just don't pass up them. Matthews isn't what I call "flashy" but the results speak for themselves.

Pretty much. Matthews looks like a guaranteed quality player in the NHL, and is likely able to play there right away. Puljujärvi and Laine could turn out better in the end, but they still have some (small) degree of boom/bust to them at this point, and might need to spend time in the AHL or Liiga before they're able to make an impact in the NHL. When you have that choice(and you might lose your job for getting it wrong), you take the safe bet.

paragon

May 5, 2010
i don't think so I think it always comes down too Centre > winger, Laine is an insane talent though.

I agree. Only team in a position to pass up on Matthews is Oilers, because they have McDavid, Dreisaitl and RNH. And even then it's questionable.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think you should always take a center over a winger. Skill-sets should be considered. Would you rather have a potential 50 goal scorer or 80-90 point two way center? Its a tough question.

Dec 13, 2010

let's ignore the fact that he scored 116 points (most ever) in his draft -1 year for the NTDP

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't think you should always take a center over a winger. Skill-sets should be considered. Would you rather have a potential 50 goal scorer or 80-90 point two way center? Its a tough question.

Well Craig Button did say in the TSN video that if a team is set at centre, like the Oilers as he mentioned, then they'd probably go with Puljujärvi or Laine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad