C Auston Matthews (2016, 1st, TOR) VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yup

I'm so excited to see both Jets and Leafs over the next decade. Future looks so damn good for them both

The fact that all of these young guys (Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Laine, Ehlers, Connor) are playing such minutes and roles at their ages is amazing.

TO is going to be a very good team very soon.

The future appears to be bright for both franchises.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Matthews got a goal on the pp but it has been his weakest game so far of his 4 game career. It might have to do with playing against a really tight defenisve squad and having to play back to back for the first time in the nhl, still has 25ish mins left so he can do more damage.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Matthews got a goal on the pp but it has been his weakest game so far of his 4 game career. It might have to do with playing against a really tight defenisve squad and having to play back to back for the first time in the nhl, still has 25ish mins left so he can do more damage.

Werent people hyping Laine so much saying he can play like **** all game and then explode???

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
It's easy to forget these guys are still U20 players, there's still massive room for growth.

That being said, Matthews and Nylander are our leading scorers, but I still feel Marner is the best player. He's been absolutely terrific

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Yeah and that's why I don't see Laine as an elite star type player right now either, he wasn't all that good in the first two period of yesterday but came on in the third, he cant and wont do that every game same with matthews. it's what seperates these two from a mcdavid. You see connor bring it every game and there is hardly a game(in his nhl career) that he isn't generating offense constantly. Matthews is a great talent, I love to have him and won't debate about him vs laine. I have probably too high expectations for him but I want him to be our best player night in and night out as a rookie, and that doesn't mean scoring the most goals or most pts, it about generating the most offesen, making the most off his shifts, getting possessions and making big plays. 4 games into the season he's bee really good, I just want him to be great.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Werent people hyping Laine so much saying he can play like **** all game and then explode???
That trait is acceptable only for those one dimensional snipers. ;)

Nice job on the goal, easy one for Matthews to put in.

Last edited:

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Looks like a pretty solid duo but we might see them split up Matthews at 1C and Nylander 2C

It's not broke why fix it? It's working, keep them together. Kadri as 2C than we can slot a UFA as the 3rd C or another prospect from the Marlies to take over the position

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
It's not broke why fix it? It's working, keep them together. Kadri as 2C than we can slot a UFA as the 3rd C or another prospect from the Marlies to take over the position

Honestly I'll be very disappointed if we progress the development of these players and neither Nylander (75% chance to be an NHL C) or Marner (25% chance to be an NHL C) become the #2C. It'd be such a waste to keep them both on the wing imo.

Aintboutdatlyfe*

Yeah and that's why I don't see Laine as an elite star type player right now either, he wasn't all that good in the first two period of yesterday but came on in the third, he cant and wont do that every game same with matthews. it's what seperates these two from a mcdavid. You see connor bring it every game and there is hardly a game(in his nhl career) that he isn't generating offense constantly. Matthews is a great talent, I love to have him and won't debate about him vs laine. I have probably too high expectations for him but I want him to be our best player night in and night out as a rookie, and that doesn't mean scoring the most goals or most pts, it about generating the most offesen, making the most off his shifts, getting possessions and making big plays. 4 games into the season he's bee really good, I just want him to be great.

Well. Matthews and Laine both in their first 4 games are waaaaaaaaaay better than Conner was in his first 4 games. Making your judgements way too quick.

Matthews has 6 points in 4 games and is leading the league in goals. He's been great. Not just good. He's not gonna dangle through the entire team every game.

Sheesh I can't stand this fanbase. Why do we have to be so overreactionary to every little thing? He's been nothing but great.

Aintboutdatlyfe*

People also act like he won't get way better like literally every other rookie does, too.

BWDude

Nov 13, 2015

The exciting thing is there is one guy though on the Leafs that I found has that McJesus factor in his game right now and is generating literally every game back to even the preseason and that guy isn't Auston, but Mitch instead.

Of course he isn't McD and never will be but, his puck luck right now is not going his way but you can see how game in and game out, even tonight, the dangerous offensive chances always runs through him. I feel like he is getting more comfortable each game and I cant wait until either he plays with linemates that click (aka not Bozak) or gets some luck on his side. Having both is incredible to me.

P.S. Wanted to get that out even though this isn't a MM thread.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

The thing that makes great players so great is that they can be invisible all game and then suddenly they put up goals or set up plays. We saw Laine do it yesterday and Matthews do it tonight.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Incredible player and an incredible kid. His hockey iq is through the roof. A real treat to watch

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto

Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Gauthier

Looks MUCH better.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
The exciting thing is there is one guy though on the Leafs that I found has that McJesus factor in his game right now and is generating literally every game back to even the preseason and that guy isn't Auston, but Mitch instead.

Of course he isn't McD and never will be but, his puck luck right now is not going his way but you can see how game in and game out, even tonight, the dangerous offensive chances always runs through him. I feel like he is getting more comfortable each game and I cant wait until either he plays with linemates that click (aka not Bozak) or gets some luck on his side. Having both is incredible to me.

P.S. Wanted to get that out even though this isn't a MM thread.

I said that earlier in the marner thread, he could easily be up there with Laine and Matthews in points with better luck, even ahead of both with the chances he's had. But yeah wrong thread haha

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Didn't think Matthews had his strongest game last night. But one thing Leafs fans should be happy about. Even when he isn't the most noticable, the puck seems to find him in scoring positions to produce a goal. He seems to be around the net a lot, and good things happen when you are in the scoring area.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
He's been great.

One thing I do notice is that he's more of a shooter than a passer (right now anyways).

Once he fully adjusts to the NHL speed I think the blinders will come off and he'll see the ice a little better and use his teammates a more, but I'd rather have a guy who loves to shoot (and gets it on net) than a guy who defers too much and doesn't seem to trust his shot. A guy like Joe Thornton comes to mind, who has a good shot but passes it off instead even when the better play would be to shoot in many instances

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
To the poster wishing we both make the playoffs I agree. It would be an amazing spectacle.

To the guy talking about how the Leafs are in trouble in a Jets-Leafs matchup, they are in the west, I don't think either team is going to make the Stanley Cup final...

lol.. I keep forgetting that theyre in the west now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad