C Auston Matthews (2016, 1st, TOR) VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Gauthier

Looks MUCH better.

This is true, next year:

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Komarov-Nylander-Kapanen
Hyman-Kadri-Brown
Leipsic-Gauthier-Leivo

QONVIyz.gif

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think Matthews had solid game and flashed his brilliance at times. I'm finnish guy and while i was super excited watching Laine scoring hatty i have to admit i enjoyed watching Matthews play aswell. Both are going to be special players. It should be good calder race but i think Matthews is still a favourite but we should not count Laine and other guys out. These kids are leading NHL in scoring wow. Leafs, Jets, USA and finnish fans should be super excited.

With his shot, people would be a fool to count him out of anything.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's been great.

One thing I do notice is that he's more of a shooter than a passer (right now anyways).

Once he fully adjusts to the NHL speed I think the blinders will come off and he'll see the ice a little better and use his teammates a more, but I'd rather have a guy who loves to shoot (and gets it on net) than a guy who defers too much and doesn't seem to trust his shot. A guy like Joe Thornton comes to mind, who has a good shot but passes it off instead even when the better play would be to shoot in many instances

This is a great observation. And I agree at this point. He does have the look like he is more of a shooter than playmaker. His career stats kinda bare this out too. I made a comparison not too long ago to Mike Modano. Modano was terrifically talented Center who had a knack for scoring Goals. I see this more for Matthews than being what we would term as the prototypical playmaking Center say what Sakic was. I think most fans would be happy if the Leafs drafted a player that had a career as good as Modano's.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
This is a great observation. And I agree at this point. He does have the look like he is more of a shooter than playmaker. His career stats kinda bare this out too. I made a comparison not too long ago to Mike Modano. Modano was terrifically talented Center who had a knack for scoring Goals. I see this more for Matthews than being what we would term as the prototypical playmaking Center say what Sakic was. I think most fans would be happy if the Leafs drafted a player that had a career as good as Modano's.

I remember others making the Modano comparison and would definitely not scoff at a potential Modano playing for the Leafs.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I remember others making the Modano comparison and would definitely not scoff at a potential Modano playing for the Leafs.

Matthews is bigger and faster than Modano was at a young age.

It's scary to think that he could possibly be better than Modano.

Mike Modano is easily one of the most underrated players over the last 30 years.

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
Yup id be more than happy with a Modano type player.

Its crazy to think we have 2 franchise forwards and Nylander may as well be one too.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

Mike Modano is easily one of the most underrated players over the last 30 years.

No, Modano was special skater especially that glide was thing of the beauty. Not sure if Matthews is same level of skater than Modano at same age but he has similar upside for sure like you like to point out. It doesen't mean Matthews is going to play Modano type of career. Really hard to predict these kind of things.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

Bigger yes, faster no way.

Modano's skating was effortless and he was up to full speed in just a few strides. He absolutely flew out there on the ice

Jul 10, 2003
KW

IMHO I would say Matthews is closer in style to Sakic than Modano. Sakic was more of a shooter, compared to other centers, though Matthews is even more so.

Aintboutdatlyfe*

Matthews shoots a lot yeah. But I'd say when it comes to Pass vs Shoot. He's just smart enough to make the smart play, he actually is a great playmaker and makes some fantastic passes with excellent vision, I have yet to see him choose to shoot over pass when passing was the smarter play

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I think his max ceiling should be right around Derrick Brassard if everything goes right.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
[start serious grumpy old man mode]

Forwards often start off more shooters and then turn into passers once they are figured out.

I see post injury Yzerman in Matthews as a realistic upside stylistically. Matthews does have the wheels Yzerman partially lost, though. I don't think Matthews quite has the wrister of Sakic, which was one of the defining attributes of his, although Matthews does have a very good shot. On the other hand I see him as even more of a warrior and a leader than Sakic - hence Yzerman.

Yzerman by the way is my favourite non-habs player of all time.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
This is true, next year:

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Komarov-Nylander-Kapanen
Hyman-Kadri-Brown
Leipsic-Gauthier-Leivo

QONVIyz.gif
I also think we see Bozak dealt, and Nylander moved to 2C. However, Martin would be on the 4th line over one of Leipsic/Leivo, and I expect Holland to remain better than Gauthier next year. IMO something like this is more likely for next season:

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Nylander - Brown
Komarov - Kadri - Kapanen
Leipsic/Leivo - Holland - Martin

Regardless, Matthews is going to have lots of talent to play with! I think he'd work equally well with Marner or Nylander as his RW.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Now has 8 points in 5 games (points in 4 of the 5). Hell of a start for the kid. The league will tighten up and he'll hit a dry spell so we'll see how he responds to that.

To pass Eichel's 56 points, he needs 48 in the next 77 games which doesn't seem unreasonable. I still think ~55 points would be a solid rookie year. Especially on such a young and inexperienced team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad