C Auston Matthews (2016, 1st, TOR) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Now has 8 points in 5 games (points in 4 of the 5). Hell of a start for the kid. The league will tighten up and he'll hit a dry spell so we'll see how he responds to that.

To pass Eichel's 56 points, he needs 48 in the next 77 games which doesn't seem unreasonable. I still think ~55 points would be a solid rookie year. Especially on such a young and inexperienced team.

He's breaking 60.

2 points tonight in only 15:10. His P/60 for the season must be fantastic.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Now has 8 points in 5 games (points in 4 of the 5). Hell of a start for the kid. The league will tighten up and he'll hit a dry spell so we'll see how he responds to that.

To pass Eichel's 56 points, he needs 48 in the next 77 games which doesn't seem unreasonable. I still think ~55 points would be a solid rookie year. Especially on such a young and inexperienced team.

I think some teams have already took notice of him honestly.. his 4 goal debut gained a ton of attention around the league

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

They already took notice. After his four goal game, the next two he spent getting drilled every shift. Chara was after him all game against Boston.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

50-60 was my range for him.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
I think some teams have already took notice of him honestly.. his 4 goal debut gained a ton of attention around the league

They already took notice. After his four goal game, the next two he spent getting drilled every shift. Chara was after him all game against Boston.

I meant that scoring in the league will go down as the season progresses. I think every year starts with a lot of high scoring games as teams warm up and hit their stride. Obviously the Leafs aren't going to remain a 4 gpg team.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Yeah and that's why I don't see Laine as an elite star type player right now either, he wasn't all that good in the first two period of yesterday but came on in the third, he cant and wont do that every game same with matthews. it's what seperates these two from a mcdavid. You see connor bring it every game and there is hardly a game(in his nhl career) that he isn't generating offense constantly. Matthews is a great talent, I love to have him and won't debate about him vs laine. I have probably too high expectations for him but I want him to be our best player night in and night out as a rookie, and that doesn't mean scoring the most goals or most pts, it about generating the most offesen, making the most off his shifts, getting possessions and making big plays. 4 games into the season he's bee really good, I just want him to be great.

So you don't believe Matthew's is a future elite star?

Also, you must not have watched McDavid too closely early on last season. He was invisible fairly often. He himself said in his first game, he hardly even touched the puck. I think it was game 7 or so he started to get going (someone can correct me here). But he did not start off running, so I'm not sure what you are on about.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
So you don't believe Matthew's is a future elite star?

Also, you must not have watched McDavid too closely early on last season. He was invisible fairly often. He himself said in his first game, he hardly even touched the puck. I think it was game 7 or so he started to get going (someone can correct me here). But he did not start off running, so I'm not sure what you are on about.
Umm in the part you bolded I said "an elite star right now either" with context to telling a poster how laine and matthews aren't elite stars as rookies. I mean i love matthews and can see him being the 2nd best player in the world if he hits hit ceiling but I just wanted to see a bit more consistency from him in the game against the wild. He was great tonight though. And with mcdavid I was talking about how even though he won't get pts every game he's still getting the most chances for his team. Though to be fair it's been five games with matthews and he's been great in 4 of the 5. The comment sounded like I was trying to put auston down, but I was just saying that we should cool the jets a bit before labeling him and Laine(or any rookie) stars right now. They are great, but there will be games where they look average to bad. Just need to realize its there first seasons in the nhl. Anyways, Matthews was amazing today, two assists on both great plays. His cross ice passes are amazing, better than kessel's when he was here and phil was great at setting up franson across the ice. Can't wait to see matthews once he adds a bit more strengths and gets better along the boards.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Umm in the part you bolded I said "an elite star right now either" with context to telling a poster how laine and matthews aren't elite stars as rookies. I mean i love matthews and can see him being the 2nd best player in the world if he hits hit ceiling but I just wanted to see a bit more consistency from him in the game against the wild. He was great tonight though. And with mcdavid I was talking about how even though he won't get pts every game he's still getting the most chances for his team. Though to be fair it's been five games with matthews and he's been great in 4 of the 5. The comment sounded like I was trying to put auston down, but I was just saying that we should cool the jets a bit before labeling him and Laine(or any rookie) stars right now. They are great, but there will be games where they look average to bad. Just need to realize its there first seasons in the nhl. Anyways, Matthews was amazing today, two assists on both great plays. His cross ice passes are amazing, better than kessel's when he was here and phil was great at setting up franson across the ice. Can't wait to see matthews once he adds a bit more strengths and gets better along the boards.

If matthews gets any better on the boardsame he may be unstoppable there. He is already winning the VAST majority of battles. Not sure what else we can expect from him.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Damn good thing you reminded us or we woulda been celebrating for nothing!

No prob :yo: You guys would the same, if Laine would be in same position :popcorn:

And no.. it isnt nothing.. just too early. Matthews still has chance to be there. And hopefully he does it.. Good for hockey to see youngsters to raise to the top.

Sid82

Dec 17, 2009
the future head to head wont be matthews vs. laine, but auston vs. mcd....laine is definitly a step below

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
And no.. it isnt nothing.. just too early. Matthews still has chance to be there. And hopefully he does it.. Good for hockey to see youngsters to raise to the top.

I don't even know about any of this anymore. These rookies throwing quodtuples and triples, and Aho's there too with his PPG pace... it may just as well be they'll be breaking each other's records in turns and not Selanne's by the end of the season.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
That shoot out goal was very pretty. Such a quick release

Crosby-esque.

His ability to play in the corners and make plays in tight reminds me so much of Crosby. Also just like Crosby, his excellent edge work stands out the most to me regarding his skating. Especially when he operates around the crease area.

But the more I watch him the more I get the Malkin vibe from his overall game.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No prob :yo: You guys would the same, if Laine would be in same position :popcorn:

But Laine isn't in the same position, now is he :naughty:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
No he already made Matthews look like an afterthought when they met.

Correction: Toronto's defense and goalie made Laine look like a world beater.

Matthews played just fine in that game. Should've had 2-3 himself.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Small sample size=small sample size.
Neither has looked bad.

Laine has had trouble scoring 5v5 and outside of one game against Toronto, also had massive trouble generating shots.

To give you an idea, Laine would need 12 SOG in his next game to catch up to Matthews. He won't be shooting 40% his entire career so he needs to start playing better 5v5 where 80% of the game is played.

Anyways, why are we discussing Laine? Matthews is centering his own line and leading the team in points and goals. Matthews and Nylander are going to be a deadly duo this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad