Kings News: Byfield signs 5 year, $6.25M per extension

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
2 year deal is perfect. He hasn’t put together a full season yet but he has definitely approved . Pay him like he has arrived not like he has been here all along.
I think Qb is looking at what others have signed for recently and is looking for 6 or 7 year deal

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think people forget that QB has already been playing against extremely tough comp.

I don't think it really matters much how we pencil in the top 3 center spots or lines on paper. It'll just be 3 scoring lines and a 4th line.

Although, I will say, if the Kings are struggling I could see Byfield moved back to Kopitar's wing because that line worked so well. Could be a Driasaitl-like situation where they move him to McDavid's wing when they're desperate for a goal.
Definitely. There’s been a few times Hiller double shifted QB so it’d be no surprise if it happens again. The one thing Hiller won’t do is keep doing the same things whilst expecting different results. It may be the opposite, will he be patient enough to allow chemistry to develop on a particular line?

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Reading this thread title like:
1000013452.gif

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Not true. He didn’t make ANY changes to the PP when it wasn’t working. Wouldn’t shift away from the 1-3-1 or adjust the forecheck when it was clearly needed.
I'm HOPING that was more to do with the fact that he wasn't going to change entire systems mid-season when they were trying to be in the playoffs. Smaller changes would make more sense in that case so you don't spend 10 games or more learning where you're supposed to stand.

Reactions: Statto and Maynard

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I'd be okay with this other than Lewis. If Kaliyev stays than he needs to be with Kopitar or Byfield for the whole year or until a trade. Then you can put Turcotte on the 3rd or 4th line
At this point Turcotte has more value and they should play him in the top 6. We can't bury a top 5 pick on the bottom lines. Let's see what Turc has and hope he can produce like Q playing with Kopi\Kempe. I put Arty as a spare because we are not even sure he will be on the roster come Sept.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
At this point Turcotte has more value and they should play him in the top 6. We can't bury a top 5 pick on the bottom lines. Let's see what Turc has and hope he can produce like Q playing with Kopi\Kempe. I put Arty as a spare because we are not even sure he will be on the roster come Sept.
Turcotte has a play style that is incredibly beneficial to other skill players on his line. It would be dumb not to try him with Anze for a while.

Good motor, gets pucks funneled to dangerous areas of the ice, gets his nose dirty, and has a good enough hockey sense to not get lost when paired with some talent.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Not true. He didn’t make ANY changes to the PP when it wasn’t working. Wouldn’t shift away from the 1-3-1 or adjust the forecheck when it was clearly needed.
Hiller didnt pass the JAD IQ test - had him and Lewis on the 3rd line when there were guys like Turcotte and Thomas available. Then in game 5 vs EDM at the end 6x5 he put out PLD and left Byfield on the bench. That cements my opinion that he has cement for brains like the rest of the org.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
Hiller didnt pass the JAD IQ test - had him and Lewis on the 3rd line when there were guys like Turcotte and Thomas available. Then in game 5 vs EDM at the end 6x5 he put out PLD and left Byfield on the bench. That cements my opinion that he has cement for brains like the rest of the org.
To Mr. Anschutz or family , if ylyour truly watching, what the Heck are you thinking all you have to do is look at where we are at now after 7 years of the management group, compared to where Lombardi was or look at the Rangers, Dallas, Carolina are in that same time. What are you waiting for clean house and bring actual hockey people who know how to run and build a team and stop living in the past. This 2024 not 1995

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I'm HOPING that was more to do with the fact that he wasn't going to change entire systems mid-season when they were trying to be in the playoffs. Smaller changes would make more sense in that case so you don't spend 10 games or more learning where you're supposed to stand.
I wouldn’t pin much hope on tactical changes. When Jimbo was promoted, he said that if you paid attention you’d notice some tweaks in like a month or so.

We know he kept the 1-3-1 till the dying end. His biggest adjustment was throwing the lines in a blender. So that’s more a group decision versus some strategy he came up with. And keep in mind, his buddy was hired as an assistant, so what was the point of that move again?

Reactions: tigermask48

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I wouldn’t pin much hope on tactical changes. When Jimbo was promoted, he said that if you paid attention you’d notice some tweaks in like a month or so.

We know he kept the 1-3-1 till the dying end. His biggest adjustment was throwing the lines in a blender. So that’s more a group decision versus some strategy he came up with. And keep in mind, his buddy was hired as an assistant, so what was the point of that move again?
He did tweak a few things but they were never going to ditch 1-3-1 at that stage. It was also alluded to heavily that BLuc had input on the system. So Hiller focused on making it more fun etc, which by all accounts he did.

I was never expecting meaningful system changes before the season ended and anyone that was didn’t listen to what was said. I do believe that things will evolve much more meaningfully this off season. He’s already alluded to having a plan B on the pk.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
He did tweak a few things but they were never going to ditch 1-3-1 at that stage. It was also alluded to heavily that BLuc had input on the system. So Hiller focused on making it more fun etc, which by all accounts he did.

I was never expecting meaningful system changes before the season ended and anyone that was didn’t listen to what was said. I do believe that things will evolve much more meaningfully this off season. He’s already alluded to having a plan B on the pk.
You know they don’t give out free seats for carrying water in a fan forum for a bunch of incompetents, right?

bland

Jul 1, 2004

The 1-3-1 is the system of the organization, not just the Kings. They use it in Ontario as well, so theoretically there would be a seamless transition. They aren't going to abandon their structure mid-year, that is a heavy duty change that requires time and planning. You rarely have practice time as it is.

Now, I would think that a change would be obvious after seeing limited success with a system that was publicly ridiculed by years end. But these guys being these guys, mea culpas may be too much to expect.

Reactions: Statto

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
How Blake of a move would it be to drag this out into training camp, only to end up with a brutal overpayment anyways?

Because I gotta feelin.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Doesn't help that Slafkovsky, who scored fewer points than Byfield, signed an 8-year, $7.8 million AAV contract. Because they're both RFAs, they can use that as a comp.

Reactions: Telos

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Byfield extension soon?​

What is considered soon?
Our frustration which I share is because an expectation was set by a Twitter post from outside the organisation. He ‘heard it’. Clearly a source that’s not that connected.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Slaf is also 2 years younger lol and the difference in pts isnt big
I understand. The point is that Slafkovsky is undoubtedly being used as a comp by Byfield's representation. And the Kings can't even argue about production, because Slafkovsky scored (a little) less.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I understand. The point is that Slafkovsky is undoubtedly being used as a comp by Byfield's representation. And the Kings can't even argue about production, because Slafkovsky scored (a little) less.
I agree.

I imagine (there should have been at a minimum) there will have been some initial discussion. So there will be some ballpark figures for long vs short term deals. Based on free agency spend I expect they are targeting a long term deal.

The discussion is probably centred around term… pure conjecture and speculation on my part. Spence then gets the scraps that are left over and they’ll bridge him. He will want as short a bridge as possible and the team will want as long as possible so I think 2 years there.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad