Kings News: Byfield signs 5 year, $6.25M per extension

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
is it really that hard to comprehend why someone wouldn’t want to give max term for Byfield when you consider he has not played the position the Kings are going to need him to play? Is it really that hard to realize how risky it is for him to not be able to play center well and you now have him on your hands for 8 years?

Byfield has played well this year and has taken a big step forward but if you think that Byfield checks all the marks for being a star studded center then you are the one who’s seriously out to lunch. He hasn’t played center for a long time and the last time he played center regularly he played it bad. And yeah Byfield is a far cry from Kopitar at their age. There’s zero reason to take a stupid risk like that.
I can wrap the idea of max term for QB around my head multiple times vs the same for our supposed #1 LD. Would you rather owe $33M for Mikey, or $31M for Byfield? Who has proven more for that level of contract? I think I know which guy is a real top of the lineup player.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I can wrap the idea of max term for QB around my head multiple times vs the same for our supposed #1 LD. Would you rather owe $33M for Mikey, or $31M for Byfield? Who has proven more for that level of contract? I think I know which guy is a real top of the lineup player.
I'd rather not have either and do a full rebuild if we're doing contract comparisons on the Kings. If I was GM i would have loaded up on picks and ended the charades a while ago. We dont have the draft pick talent to build something meaningful from within and we dont have the UFA talent to push the team over the edge to something viable.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I'd rather not have either and do a full rebuild if we're doing contract comparisons on the Kings. If I was GM i would have loaded up on picks and ended the charades a while ago. We dont have the draft pick talent to build something meaningful from within and we dont have the UFA talent to push the team over the edge to something viable.
We’re not getting a rebuild as long as Luc, Doughty, Kopitar, and Blake are here. That’s the ownership’s decision.

If Beckerman is replaced by a builder, change may occur. But it’s unlikely anything like that will happen as long as the team is generating massive revenue. Any owner would stay hands off if all the hard work was done and your empire needed investment in other areas.

The franchise was at a historical low point when Lombardi was hired. Unfortunately we need to wait for the next low point for any serious changes to occur.

This focus on today’s problems are a symptom of poor short term thinking. And today, Byfield is not a problem. He’s a plus. It’s good the management was able to convince ownership that investing in a long term solution is the right philosophy. It’s the same situation as when Frolov was drafted, played as a rookie and was a real reason for hope.

It wasn’t that Frolov was the savior. And QB might not be. But if we’re tracking wins and losses, QB is a win.

Reactions: yankeeking

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
1721772408826.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad