Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
You post links to tweets, and then proceed to freak out atleast 3 times a week
This is the only time I have ever put a link up about a Twitter account that was going crazy. I freak out 3 times a week?

Please provide me with this evidence. I would like to know all of the times I have done this.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is the only time I have ever put a link up about a Twitter account that was going crazy. I freak out 3 times a week?

Please provide me with this evidence. I would like to know all of the times I have done this.
Nah you did one a few weeks ago, but I mean it's not the three times a week like suggested.

Not unless you post tweets and go crazy on the Flames board. I don't go there lol

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Going through Bowman's signings, he's really only ever paid his core players. Kane, Toews, Sharp, Seabrook, Keith, Hjalmarsson, Oduya, etc, so at least he isn't a Ken Holland.

The main thing that worked against Bowman is probably that core aging out. He kept a 50 win team together for four seasons after winning the second cup until guys like Keith, Sharp, Hossa, etc. were getting up to 35+ and then Seabrook's body fell apart.
Bryan Bickel at $4mx4 because he had a great playoffs was a horrible signing for a guy who had been a 3rd line tweener up until that point in his career. Ditto for Marcus Kruger at 3x3 for a 20 point 4th liner.

He loved overpaying his loyal soldiers as much as Holland.

Last edited:

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
After sleeping on it and seeing the visceral reactions I am more and more scratching my head at why Jackson went down this road. He must really feel Bowman is worth the trouble or underestimated the blowback.

JJ's response to the "blowback" was more than a touch arrogant. The optics of the decision are concerning on so many levels.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Nah you did one a few weeks ago, but I mean it's not the three times a week like suggested.

Not unless you post tweets and go crazy on the Flames board. I don't go there lol
Nah I don't go on the Flames Board lol.

If I've been providing disinformation on the board or have been freaking out 3 times a week, I apologize. I'll try to post links less

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Bryan Bickel at $4mx4 because he had a great playoffs was a horrible signing for a guy who had been a 3rd line tweener up until that point in his career. Ditto for Marcus Kruger at 3x3 for a 20 point 3rd liner.

Bickel has multiple sclerosis. No one could have predicted that

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
It's no diff than here and on twitter. You'd think it was him all along by the amount of bitching going around.

And you would think he was completely absolved of all blame by the amount of bootlicking going around.

See how easy it is to make inflammatory and dismissive comments? People certainly have the right to be concerned about his role in this, just as you can be okay with it. But making these large sweeping, intentionally inflammatory comments like that, just pisses every one off and make it so toxic. You know damn well that the large majority of people on here dont think that, just as I know all the people defending him dont support rape.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Virtanen and Bowman were found not guilty.
Bowman was never charged with a crime. But he was deemed culpable for his inactions. Hence the 3 year suspension from the NHL along with admitting in his own words that he didn’t do enough.

Bickel has multiple sclerosis. No one could have predicted that
His MS has nothing to do with the fact that he was a 30 point career 3rd liner when Bowman signed him to a $4mx4 deal that ended up costing him Tervainen to move.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Only one way to find out. Nurse-Jones swap?
I'm so glad Jackson was blunt about not giving a shit what the players think. Too much of a country club atmosphere here, worried what mcdavid and Draisaitl think.

Hope to God next step is to do something about that awful nurse contract. Honeslty I'd even consider this swap.

Reactions: oilers'72

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Bowman was never charged with a crime. But he was deemed culpable for his inactions. Hence the 3 year suspension from the NHL along with admitting in his own words that he didn’t do enough.

His MS has nothing to do with the fact that he was a 30 point career 3rd liner when Bowman signed him to a $4mx4 deal that ended up costing him Tervainen to move.
All purpose 3rd liner who would still be useful if it wasn't for MS. That's like Oilers choosing Henrique and prospects/picks over McLeod

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I have seen a few times than Bowman needed to trade Panarin for Saad because Panarin would have been too expensive to keep.

Panarin was signed for 2 additional years at $6m per year when Chicago traded him for Saad. He had the exact same cap hit as Saad. That deal was purely Bowman thinking trading Panarin for Saad would make them a better team.

It’s one of the worst trades of all time.

All purpose 3rd liner who would still be useful if it wasn't for MS. That's like Oilers choosing Henrique and prospects/picks over McLeod
If you think Bryan Bickell was ever worth $4m per year it’s not worth even having a conversation about it lol.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I have seen a few times than Bowman needed to trade Panarin for Saad because Panarin would have been too expensive to keep.

Panarin was signed for 2 additional years at $6m per year when Chicago traded him for Saad. He had the exact same cap hit as Saad. That deal was purely Bowman thinking trading Panarin for Saad would make them a better team.

If you think Bryan Bickell was ever worth $4m per year it’s not worth even having a conversation about it lol.
Bowman has a Saad fetish. JJ needs to veto any Saad trade he proposes.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

He was overpriced but still useful. MS would end anyone's career.

Panarin in Chicago was Kane's dance partner but he was also like Kuzmenko. Just floating around. Unfit for that team. Saad was a key player in those champioships. Chicago thought they were getting the same guy the second time around.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
If Bowman can get the Oilers 3 cups in 6 years. I don't care what he does to the Oilers in year 10
The roster is pretty much set, might be the best roster in the NHL. Next year its cup or bust, then it gets very difficult with the cap. He can sit on his dumb arse this upcoming season, then lets see what he does. There is also a big difference between the Oilers and Hawks. When Bowman took over a stacked roster it was with a great very young core on cheaper deals. He had the ability to add to the core by shifting around more expensive vets for cheaper options. I give him credit for doing that on the 13 and 15 teams. The Oilers have zero cups, their star players are not early 20’s, and expensive extensions loom. When he hit this scenario in Chicago he signed several players to long term extensions with no movement clauses and tried to go cheap around them. It didn’t pan out, then he was stuck. As time went on he buried them, trying to build around aging players he could not move. I am not saying that task was easy but he failed and because of his moves the ended up “scorched earth” as someone very aptly put it. I do not trust him in that situation. The Oilers have aging players they have to extend to very expensive long term contracts and build around them, as those guys will undoubtedly slow down some. They haven’t been able to carry a roster to date to a Cup, as they get older it will be more difficult and the talent around them will likely diminish some. Add to it the Aldrich situation and that black mark on his resume it’s just an odd hire.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The roster is pretty much set, might be the best roster in the NHL. Next year its cup or bust, then it gets very difficult with the cap. He can sit on his dumb arse this upcoming season, then lets see what he does. There is also a big difference between the Oilers and Hawks. When Bowman took over a stacked roster it was with a great very young core on cheaper deals. He had the ability to add to the core by shifting around more expensive vets for cheaper options. I give him credit for doing that on the 13 and 15 teams. The Oilers have zero cups, their star players are not early 20’s, and expensive extensions loom. When he hit this scenario in Chicago he signed several players to long term extensions with no movement clauses and tried to go cheap around them. It didn’t pan out, then he was stuck. As time went on he buried them, trying to build around aging players he could not move. I am not saying that task was easy but he failed and because of his moves the ended up “scorched earth” as someone very aptly put it. I do not trust him in that situation. The Oilers have aging players they have to extend to very expensive long term contracts and build around them, as those guys will undoubtedly slow down some. They haven’t been able to carry a roster to date to a Cup, as they get older it will be more difficult and the talent around them will likely diminish some. Add to it the Aldrich situation and that black mark on his resume it’s just an odd hire.
This year and next year it'll be very tough to squeeze everyone in. After that I think it gets easier from here, as Edmonton IMO have a better prospect pool than Chicago did after their championships. The Savoie trade boosted our prospect pool quite nicely and came at the right time. While I agree Bowman had his faults, I think he learnt from his mistakes during that cap crunch. Plus he's also working with Jackson who has full autonomy of what gets approved. While I do not like the hire, I try to see light in it.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Why the 'Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations' title?
I wondered that too. I find some of the hockey titles so weird sometimes. I think it's just to reinforce that he's under JJ, but above everyone else like Brad Holland, Keith Gretzky, Michael Parkatti, Bill Scott, Stupid frickin Bobby Nicks, etc.

EDIT: Just noticed Stupid frickin Bobby Nicks is not on the website anymore. He was there last time I looked like 3 weeks ago. Thank the lord, hopefully that dinosaur is long gone from the team.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Bryan Bickel at $4mx4 because he had a great playoffs was a horrible signing for a guy who had been a 3rd line tweener up until that point in his career. Ditto for Marcus Kruger at 3x3 for a 20 point 4th liner.

Bickell had a couple more good years and playoffs after signing that deal. Same for Kruger.

Both guys got shipped out before the contracts became an issue too.

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
There was lots of blowback to the Deshaun Watson trade and sign by the Browns a couple of years back.

Similar reactions to this, people stating they were done supporting the franchise etc

Yet everybody still packed the field and tuned in when the season actually began

Right or wrong I see the same thing happening here

MOD EDIT

Who is this f***? This guy is literally just going around on Twitter forcing Oiler fans to change who they cheer for because, if they don't, they are vile and disgusting and just as bad as Aldrich, Bowman etc.

What the f*** is wrong with these people

(MOD: Let's leave the deranged Twitter users on Twitter.)
Sound's like your average Reddit User

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad