Gorges - Dumba
Methot - I. Cole
Klein - De Haan
Merrill - Petrovic
Pokka, Lindell, Forbort

Pickard
M. Subban
Dansk

I noticed you have Vegas taking Armia. Any guess as to who the Jets protect?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think LV will take MAF.

PIT are in a ****** situation with two goalies making big dollars.

Why would any GM give Rutherford a hand out of his own hole without any type of compensation.

Maybe PIT does something like package Rust + MAF?

So is having Fleury as their starter all of a sudden not compensation? What the hell? Getting Fleury for cheap should be the compensation when someone is trading for Fleury, he's not Clarkson.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yeah the odds that Detroit leaves Andreas Athanasiou unprotected is like slim to none. Holland is pretty high on him don't see him leaving him unprotected i think one of Tatar or Nyquist will be dealt for D upgrade so there should be a slot for AA.

Absolutely hilarious that anyone thinks Athanasiou isn't a guaranteed protected player.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
going by Capfriendly's "protect" list: (and no UFA signings)

Dano - Killorn - Silfverberg
Raffl - Wilson - Fast
Athanasiou - Eller - Roussel
Jaskin - Byron - Ferland
Martinook

both Killorn and Wilson will have to play center..

Methot - Brodin/Scadella (will 99.9% be Scandella, anywho i'd take either over Dumba, even with the lack of RD)
De Haan - Petrovic
Davidson - McCabe
Pokka

Pickard
Korpisalo
Subban

could have added a bunch of extras/prospects aswell

Capfriendly's quick protect has the Flames protecting Bouma/Shinkaruk/Jokipakka over Ferland/Brouwer/Brodie.

It's definitely got some bugs to work out :laugh:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Capfriendly's quick protect has the Flames protecting Bouma/Shinkaruk/Jokipakka over Ferland/Brouwer/Brodie.

It seems to struggle most with the defence.

I did a quick protect and it left exposted:

Barrie, Faulk, Brodie, Jack Johnson, Dumba, Ellis.

Pretty sure if LV had a d core like that in their first year they wouldn't care who their forwards were.

Also Gibson was left exposed :laugh:

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Quick protect protects even UFA's who in many cases don't look like they'd be re-signed .

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
I noticed you have Vegas taking Armia. Any guess as to who the Jets protect?

As of now it's pretty well understood jets fans say Wheeler, Scheifele, Little, Perreault, Buff, Myers, Trouba, Enstrom, Hellebuyck

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

Pretty sure if LV had a d core like that in their first year they wouldn't care who their forwards were.

A lot of those are because of exposure requirements though.

For example, Barrie has to be exposed because Johnson and Beauchemin have NMC, and COL needs to expose a defenseman with a 2017-18 contract - none of Tyutin, Gelinas, Zadorov, Siemens, Wiercioch, Corbett, Stanton, or Clark have that, whereas Barrie does.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm pretty sure that they'll be able to grab Brandon Davidson in the expansion draft and I think he easily slips into that top 6 there.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
TSN did a segment yesterday on the expansion draft, I learned that teams need to have 3 forwards, 1 Defense and a 1 Goalie to expose with 2017 contract.

MTL has to give Montoya an extension or sign another goalie that makes the cut or Price will be exposed.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
As of now it's pretty well understood jets fans say Wheeler, Scheifele, Little, Perreault, Buff, Myers, Trouba, Enstrom, Hellebuyck

I wouldn't be so sure about Perreault.

I've seen a lot Jets posters who prefer Armia. I'd even consider Dano over Perreault. More expensive and fragile

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ill wait till the end of season to say who will be protected in the draft. So much can change in remaining 60 games

For example for the Oilers if you were to ask me start last season if Davidson would be protected I would have laughed as he was an AHLer, end of season he was near top priority to protect. Now this season I would have laughed if you said Benning would make Davidson expendable as still chuckle at that. But who knows, if after next 60 games Benning progesses well and keeps it up, maybe that becomes true

Another example is Pitlick. I wasnt even sure hed get a QO this year. Now he has 6 goals and a staple in bottom 6. Does he take a protection spot if he keeps it up?

I am sure every team has those questions and much tougher options

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

All 3 of those guys were available, Brodie wasn't. Don't remember if Brouwer was.

I saw JJ, Dumba and Scandella (meaning Minny will protect Spurgeon/Brodin/Suter). None of those other Dmen tho. I saw Zadorov for Colorado. The list they gave me was pretty reasonable tbh, i saw Matt Murray being available too but there's obviously no chance that Pittsburgh lets that happen. I saw Silfverberg, Cogliano and Manson for Anaheim.. by far the highest quality of players among any of the teams.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Lot of contradictory opinions in this thread but one thing's for sure, this team's gonna be terrible.

Are they a playoff team ....no

Terrible....no

If they do this right they should have a respectable team.

Teams only protecting 3 Dmen will have 1 of their top 4 exposed. It could be an older top pair exposed over the younger player.

With forwards you are looking at some 2nd/3rd line players exposed with the possibility of some younger talented players who have been slow to mature exposed.

In year one they are probably in the bottom 5 unless they actually go for high contract older players and could possibly compete.

The other option they could go is take some of these vet players with high contracts and have a respectable top 6 (along with 1-2 Ufa signings). Sane with defense maybe they take the experience 30 and older vet with 2 yrs left on their contract.

With this they can create a respectable top 8 forwards, top 4 Dmen, and starting goalie (MAF). That's just 13 players....17 other teams to pick from.. From those teams they target some of the waiver exempt players and make deals for prospects/picks to build a pipeline of futures.

Maybe as part of deals not to take player X on a team, they instead get y snd z who are both good pieces for short term and long term.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Did quick protect - I highly doubt quite a few of these players will be left unprotected.. Interesting results, especially on the back end.

Killorn Cammalleri Stone
Boedker Helm Silfverberg
Yakapov Lowry Read
Komarov Karlsson Pirri

Brodie Faulk
McNabb Barrie
Orlov Ellis

Murray
Subban
Ullmark

Extras:
Gaunce
Graovac
Pulock
Reinhart
Pateryn
Johns

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

So Button has Brodin available, Perreault/Silf/Mantha aswell. I don't know why he'd pick Jarnkrok (who's a fine player) over Wilson tho, maybe he thinks Wilson is getting protected?

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

Well it is based on crowd sourced popularity, so it's the users that are struggling

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

So Button has Brodin available, Perreault/Silf/Mantha aswell. I don't know why he'd pick Jarnkrok (who's a fine player) over Wilson tho, maybe he thinks Wilson is getting protected?

Jarnkrok makes $2mil for the next six years, has a high IQ and can play all four lines. I'm hoping Vegas takes Wilson over him if he isn't the last protected forward.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Dano Killorn Silfverberg
Jaskin Wilson Stempniak
Zucker Eller Pirri
Nolan Holland Roussel

ex. Riley Sheahan, Riley Nash, Markus Granlund, Nicolas Deslauriers

Johnson Dillon
Emelin Wideman
Zadorov Petrovic

ex. Ben Lovejoy, Trevor Van Riemsdyk, Brandon Davidson, Chris Wideman, Kevin Connauton

Fleury
Neuvirth

ex. Thomas Greiss

PROJECTED CAP HIT : $52,931,310

PROJECTED CAP SPACE : $20,068,690

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

I seriously doubt that Ken Holland leaves Anthony Mantha unprotected, I would be totally shocked i would imagine Mantha would be traded as part of a package deal for an upgrade on a top 4 RHD/LHD before he was left unprotected.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00