Speculation: Building the Las Vegas squad using CapFriendly's tool

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
TSN did a segment yesterday on the expansion draft, I learned that teams need to have 3 forwards, 1 Defense and a 1 Goalie to expose with 2017 contract.

MTL has to give Montoya an extension or sign another goalie that makes the cut or Price will be exposed.

Which is why capfriendly's tool exposes players like Jakob Silfverberg, Matt Murray, Tyson Barrie, and other players fans are adamant will be ultimately protected; the computer's algorithm exposes those players because there is no way of protecting them.

There are simple solutions, such as buying out a player (if buyouts are allowed), or signing another player (like Fedor Tyutin in Colorado, to protect Barrie, or Montoya in Montreal). The GMs just need to be on top of it is all.

Montreal's situation is actually kinda interesting... Price cannot be exposed bc of his NMC. Lindgren, Fucale, and McNiven cannot be exposed because of their lack of pro experience. The only other G left in the system is Montoya, but he is a pending UFA... which means Montreal does not meet their minimum requirements!

The only threat against collusion and circumvention so far was Daly talking about losing a 1st, but that was in regards to teams telling their UFAs not to sign with LV, and to return back to the club after the draft. We don't have (read: I have not seen) rules on team noncompliance.
Should Montreal be forced to use up a contract slot on Montoya for next year just to be compliant? A player that is unlikely to be drafted, that they may likely have no interest in after a somewhat troubling year (so far) and with prospects on the doorstep ready to get their feet wet?

I assume Montreal has to be compliant, no excuses, at threat of punishment, but then they have to carry Montoya or another backup's contract for the next year and the league is forcing their hand.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Which is why capfriendly's tool exposes players like Jakob Silfverberg, Matt Murray, Tyson Barrie, and other players fans are adamant will be ultimately protected; the computer's algorithm exposes those players because there is no way of protecting them.

There are simple solutions, such as buying out a player (if buyouts are allowed), or signing another player (like Fedor Tyutin in Colorado, to protect Barrie, or Montoya in Montreal). The GMs just need to be on top of it is all.

Montreal's situation is actually kinda interesting... Price cannot be exposed bc of his NMC. Lindgren, Fucale, and McNiven cannot be exposed because of their lack of pro experience. The only other G left in the system is Montoya, but he is a pending UFA... which means Montreal does not meet their minimum requirements!

The only threat against collusion and circumvention so far was Daly talking about losing a 1st, but that was in regards to teams telling their UFAs not to sign with LV, and to return back to the club after the draft. We don't have (read: I have not seen) rules on team noncompliance.
Should Montreal be forced to use up a contract slot on Montoya for next year just to be compliant? A player that is unlikely to be drafted, that they may likely have no interest in after a somewhat troubling year (so far) and with prospects on the doorstep ready to get their feet wet?

I assume Montreal has to be compliant, no excuses, at threat of punishment, but then they have to carry Montoya or another backup's contract for the next year and the league is forcing their hand.

Yes - Montreal must sign a goalie in order to expose him.

I know the Jets situation best of all, so I'll use them as an example - last year Hutchinson was signed to a two year extension. Many were surprised as Hutch hasn't shown us very much - but it was almost certainly done so that we would have a goalie to expose.

In general a lot of fans seem to think they'll have no problem protecting everyone / only losing scrubs off their roster. It's not going to be so easy, and teams are going to lose valuable players in this expansion draft.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Yes - Montreal must sign a goalie in order to expose him.

I know the Jets situation best of all, so I'll use them as an example - last year Hutchinson was signed to a two year extension. Many were surprised as Hutch hasn't shown us very much - but it was almost certainly done so that we would have a goalie to expose.

In general a lot of fans seem to think they'll have no problem protecting everyone / only losing scrubs off their roster. It's not going to be so easy, and teams are going to lose valuable players in this expansion draft.

Could not agree more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad