Post-Game Talk: buffalos @ RANGERS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

3 star who are they

• Alexis Lafreniere

• Mika Zibanejad

• Filip Chytil

• Igor Shesterkin

• Artemi Panarin

• Adam Fox

• Chris Kreider

• Kaapo Kakko

• Ryan Lindgren

• Ryan Reaves

• Ryan Strome

• Jacob Trouba

• KAndre Miller

• Patrick Nemeth

• Jared Tinordi

• Julien Gauthier

• Kevin Rooney

• Dryden Hunt

• Barclay Goodrow

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Nemeth should be demoted before Lundkvist.

Tinordi to Hartford, Nemeth to the press box, Jones to NYR. Keep Nils where he is.

We all know theres no chance Nils & Jones will be paired together with Nemeth & Tinordi in street clothes. Also what has Lundkvist done to show that he should stay in the lineup? I like the kid but some time in Hartford would be good for him.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
We all know theres no chance Nils & Jones will be paired together with Nemeth & Tinordi in street clothes.

Probably not but it's still what SHOULD happen.

Also what has Lundkvist done to show that he should stay in the lineup? I like the kid but some time in Hartford would be good for him.

Time in Hartford might be good for Lundkvist but it would be better for Tinordi. And the metrics that someone posted the other day indicate that Lundkvist is better without Nemeth than vice versa. The apparent conclusion is that Nemeth is the anchor on that pair and not the other way around.

Reactions: haveandare

FUZfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2018
Hand me a cigarette and give me a blindfold, I'm going to defend Tinordi.

I think GG wanted to get him some minutes and hopefully see him play well enough to play against the Islanders. They're a heavy team and I think if he played as well as he could, we'd be better off having him in for that game than Nils. Tinordi is not a great d-man, no doubt, but I think the fact that he was rusty from not playing for a while didn't help his performance. A player with a high skill level can hide rust a lot more than someone who doesn't.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Yeah it was an insanely great goal. Everything fit together perfectly. It did my heart good to see the joy on their faces.

It's funny how Buffalo shot themselves in the foot trying to stall - and that's what did them in. If they had just played normally likely it would have gone to OT.

Reminds me of a Rangers playoff game a few years back where McDonagh had the the puck in the corner and somehow the other team got it and scored with no time left. That was a heartbreaker.

We have been on the recieving end of what happened to Buffalo last game too many times for me to count.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Time in Hartford might be good for Lundkvist but it would be better for Tinordi. And the metrics that someone posted the other day indicate that Lundkvist is better without Nemeth than vice versa. The apparent conclusion is that Nemeth is the anchor on that pair and not the other way around.

Fire Tinordi into the sun honestly, Drury's worst move by far this offseason. Id rather see Hajek get a game or 2. I dont doubt that nemeth is the anchor, but Nils cant move the puck well enough at this stage of his career to make up for it. I think Jones can, based on what we saw at the end of last season, in training camp and in Hartford so far

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
I think this is the real point. Fox made a genius play. It's not criticizing Mika; he made a great pass to Lindgren. Some want to play devil's advocate or want to defend Mika with his part of the sequence. No scoring play materializes if Fox doesn't do what he did. Again, it's not a criticism of Mika.

But people are critcizing Mika for being exactly where he was supposed to be.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
But people are critcizing Mika for being exactly where he was supposed to be.
yeah... I dont believe that... that's the point. There was no urgency there imo. Everyone else showed urgency.

He's turned into Marian Gaborik minus the speed.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Fire Tinordi into the sun honestly, Drury's worst move by far this offseason. Id rather see Hajek get a game or 2. I dont doubt that nemeth is the anchor, but Nils cant move the puck well enough at this stage of his career to make up for it. I think Jones can, based on what we saw at the end of last season, in training camp and in Hartford so far

Yeah, but so I still don't understand why Nemeth can't be scratched and we can't roll with Jones-Lundkvist?

Reactions: egelband

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
yeah... I dont believe that... that's the point. There was no urgency there imo. Everyone else showed urgency.

He's turned into Marian Gaborik minus the speed.

But there was only seconds left on the clock.

A: He joins the scrum and most likely the clock will run out.
B: He stays where he is in case the puck gets loose for him to get one last shot on goal or a passing play develops.

Listen, I hear you. Mika so far has been underwhelming but his play on the last goal was not.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

I guess Gallant sees it a different way because Lundkvist is the one that keeps getting scratched.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I guess Gallant sees it a different way because Lundkvist is the one that keeps getting scratched.

He obviously does but there aren't any stats to support the position that Tinordi is better than Lundkvist even at this stage. I'm left to conclude that decision is based on something else.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I was all for trading Georgiev for a long time -

1) When he was still thought of as a decent backup, trading him meant more assets for us to rebuild with, even if just a second or third rounder.
2) Trading him last year could have cleared room for a Lundqvist victory lap tour as Shesterkin's backup (unbeknownst to us, he would have missed the season with the heart surgery, but still.... career Ranger would have been nice, plus no buy out).
3) Setting aside the issue of DeAngelo himself and how many strikes he had accumulated, not sure why Georgiev was any less to blame for that fight and didn't appear to be a good teammate at that junction.
4) Asked for a trade because he was unhappy with being the backup to Shesterkin.
5) For a team that needed cap space he was taking up a lot of cap dollars when Kinkaid was making the minimum.
6) Became apparent very early last year that he was regressing and would never be what the team thought of him - not that it wasn't clear to many of us that he'd never be a legit starter from the beginning.
7) His name isn't pronounced like it looks and I always want to say "Jee-or-jev" not "Gee-OR-gee-ev."

Add it all up and I'll be happy when we've moved on.
Yeah I remember pretty much everyone trying to get an asset back for him and including him in every proposal. It just wasn’t a priority it seems.

Reactions: mas0764

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Hand me a cigarette and give me a blindfold, I'm going to defend Tinordi.

I think GG wanted to get him some minutes and hopefully see him play well enough to play against the Islanders. They're a heavy team and I think if he played as well as he could, we'd be better off having him in for that game than Nils. Tinordi is not a great d-man, no doubt, but I think the fact that he was rusty from not playing for a while didn't help his performance. A player with a high skill level can hide rust a lot more than someone who doesn't.
Your last words on earth will be defending Tinordi?

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I just don't think its realistic. Gallant isnt going to play 2 rookies paired together on D

I hear a lot of this around here. Why not? "Just because." "It's not how coaches/GMs do things." "It will ruin the team/the player." Evidence of this? "It just will."

Yeah, I get a lot of hockey is nepotism and good ol' boys and "cause that's the way things have always been done."

But I do not see a Jones-Lundkvist pairing as being worse than a Nemeth-Lundkvist one despite it being *gasp* two rookies.

In any case, why not try it out? A tire fire like Buffalo would have been the perfect opponent to test drive the pair. If it's a disaster you can always re-demote Jones or Lundkvist and un-scratch Nemeth. No real risk of losing Tinordi by sending him through waivers.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I hear a lot of this around here. Why not? "Just because." "It's not how coaches/GMs do things." "It will ruin the team/the player." Evidence of this? "It just will."

Yeah, I get a lot of hockey is nepotism and good ol' boys and "cause that's the way things have always been done."

But I do not see a Jones-Lundkvist pairing as being worse than a Nemeth-Lundkvist one despite it being *gasp* two rookies.

In any case, why not try it out? A tire fire like Buffalo would have been the perfect opponent to test drive the pair. If it's a disaster you can always re-demote Jones or Lundkvist and un-scratch Nemeth. No real risk of losing Tinordi by sending him through waivers.

You are not necessarily wrong that in a perfect world the Rangers should try it, but the reality is that its highly unlikely and expecting otherwise is setting yourself up to be disappointed

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
He obviously does but there aren't any stats to support the position that Tinordi is better than Lundkvist even at this stage. I'm left to conclude that decision is based on something else.

Tinordi is a plug. I meant that Gallant sees Lundkvist as the problem and not Nemeth as Nils is the one that has been scratched several times as opposed to Nemeth. I would be happy if they could just go with Jones and Nemeth for awhile and see how it goes. The 3rd pair has been a problem all season.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Is he playing well defensively?

Serious question. He's never been known for that. Are his metrics showing a defensive turnaround?
Just watch him play. He's making good defensive plays nearly every shift. He's hounding the opposing team pretty well in the defensive and neutral zones.

Reactions: mas0764 and FUZfan

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Tinordi is a plug. I meant that Gallant sees Lundkvist as the problem and not Nemeth as Nils is the one that has been scratched several times as opposed to Nemeth. I would be happy if they could just go with Jones and Nemeth for awhile and see how it goes. The 3rd pair has been a problem all season.

Gallant can see it however he wants, the advanced stats at this juncture seem to indicate Nils has been better than Nemeth, to my understanding. Gallant could be wrong, it's not like he's batting 1.000 and getting every single decision right... Gallant's been good but not perfect.

Or he could be wanting to scratch Lundkvist before Nemeth for other reasons.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Hypothesis: If the Rangers had scored 5 more even strength goals, and divided those points evenly (1 goal, 2 assists each goal instance = 15 total points to distribute) between Kakko, Lafreniere and Chytil, this team would be in the top 10 in scoring and Lafreniere, Kakko and Chytil would each be pacing for like 0.5 ppg and no one would be worried at all.

It's a solid hypothesis: If the Rangers scored more, they'd be scoring more.

Schrödinger's goals.

Does Gallant even know how to make his team score goals using quantum mechanics? It's a huge hole in their game plan if not.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
It's a solid hypothesis: If the Rangers scored more, they'd be scoring more.

Schrödinger's goals.

I guess the hypothesis was more along the lines of, if Kakko, Laf, and Chytil had 10, 10 and 9 points instead of 5, 5, and 4, and the team was top 10 in scoring instead of like 15th, we'd all be super chill right now.

If the team had 5 more goals with those goals and all primary and secondary assists divided up between Kakko, Laf and Chytil, that would be accomplished.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
But there was only seconds left on the clock.

A: He joins the scrum and most likely the clock will run out.
B: He stays where he is in case the puck gets loose for him to get one last shot on goal or a passing play develops.

Listen, I hear you. Mika so far has been underwhelming but his play on the last goal was not.
Or he could have been in the space where Fox filled into.

How is it a 'great play' where a Defender had to fill the void to make the play down low? It worked because Fox filled in. It worked because both defenders pinched all the way down knowing there was no time left.

Mika didn't move for the final 10 seconds. It's indicative to how he has been playing. Just waiting.

We don't agree. That's fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Anyone else get Scott Neidermayer vibes when seeing K'Andre Miller play? Scott was always seen as more of a great 2nd pairing guy. Wouldn't be surprised if Miller raises a Norris one day. Amazing watching him grow into an elite defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad