Buffalo Bills–2014: 1-0 – WK2 vs Miami – Pegulas reach agreement to buy team

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
How long has the MLB been saturated in the USA? And yet revenues and valuations continue to grow.

MLB has never been saturated in the US. Never. There was never a time that MLB was as big and dominant as the NFL is now.

MLB has always been big mostly in the Northeast and in a handful of (admittedly large) local markets. Boston, NYC, Chicago, St. Louis.

In non-MLB markets, baseball just isn't even remotely on the same level as football. Look at Buffalo for instance. Or consider that in the entire southeastern United States (excl. south Florida), there is only one MLB team - the Atlanta Braves. Just one team in a huge swath of the country!

You can't tell me that MLB has ever grown to near a saturation point the way the NFL has.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
MLB has never been saturated in the US. Never. There was never a time that MLB was as big and dominant as the NFL is now.

MLB has always been big mostly in the Northeast and in a handful of (admittedly large) local markets. Boston, NYC, Chicago, St. Louis.

In non-MLB markets, baseball just isn't even remotely on the same level as football. Look at Buffalo for instance. Or consider that in the entire southeastern United States (excl. south Florida), there is only one MLB team - the Atlanta Braves. Just one team in a huge swath of the country!

You can't tell me that MLB has ever grown to near a saturation point the way the NFL has.

You're correct. The peak for baseball was McGwire/Sosa late 90's... that peak pales in comparison to what happens on Sundays in this country.

A Jacksonville/Cleveland Sunday night game would still be a top rated event... baseball doesn't have that captivation factor that comes with weekly games...etc.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Saturated may have been the wrong word. Stagnant is probably a better term to describe baseball.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Cutler is a Bills fan.
Screen-Shot-2014-09-08-at-2.05.33-PM.png

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo

The Denver Broncos say hi.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The difference being the areas surrounding Colorado aren't heavily populated.

The only major league franchise anywhere near Colorado I can think of is the Utah Jazz. Closest besides that are probably the teams in Kansas City.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think Pegula will be ok with his investment in the Bills. Not sure why this is even something to worry or care about right now.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
1981 and 2014 are completely different. Lucrative TV deals completely changed the value of sports franchises. The NFL is about to begin a downward slope. I wouldn't feel at all rosy about its future in 30 years.

The only way that happens is if the NFL continues to ________ up its product in an inexorable march toward two-hand touch and pink tutus for QBs and a mandatory representative of every Balkanized hyphen-American group on every roster.

As far as the value of the franchise, how often does a GT40 roll across the floor at RM or Mecum?

Last edited:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Economists have trouble predicting 3/5/10 year projections accurately but in 30yrs the NFL be no where near as profitable as it is now. Heard it here first folks, get your popcorn.

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
Economists have trouble predicting 3/5/10 year projections accurately but in 30yrs the NFL be no where near as profitable as it is now. Heard it here first folks, get your popcorn.

Completely agree. If they are going to build a new stadium they had better have other attractions built next to it / near it and not have a "standalone" football stadium.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
On a more important note.... the Bills are the greatest team in history of professional sports.

So says, a dean at a small college. He is paying for any student's textbooks that can beat him in Madden.

You can play as any team you'd like -- the St. Louis Rams, the Dallas Cowboys, the Chicago Bears -- you can even choose a professional team. I'll be playing as the greatest team in the history of professional sports, which is, of course, the Buffalo Bills."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nbc-y...students-to-beat-him-at-madden-142645156.html

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
On a more important note.... the Bills are the greatest team in history of professional sports.

So says, a dean at a small college. He is paying for any student's textbooks that can beat him in Madden.

You can play as any team you'd like -- the St. Louis Rams, the Dallas Cowboys, the Chicago Bears -- you can even choose a professional team. I'll be playing as the greatest team in the history of professional sports, which is, of course, the Buffalo Bills."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nbc-y...students-to-beat-him-at-madden-142645156.html

Jay Cutler can attest to that fact. :sarcasm:

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
So what was more impressive...the Bills barely hanging on in the 4th but winning in OT on the road against Chicago or the Dolphins starting slow then outplaying the Patriots for a decisive home win?

And of course who wins Sunday?

The eternal Bills pessimist in me says after the road win the fans are expecting another win this week so the team will find a way to break our hearts and lose to the Dolphins. On the flip side the Bills have played well at home the last couple seasons and you know the crowd will be fired up with the Pegula news this week. Sprinkle in the first home game after Ralph's death, a possible appearance from Bills legends and there's a lot of karma working in favour of a Bills win. 20-17 Bills?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
So what was more impressive...the Bills barely hanging on in the 4th but winning in OT on the road against Chicago or the Dolphins starting slow then outplaying the Patriots for a decisive home win?

And of course who wins Sunday?

The eternal Bills pessimist in me says after the road win the fans are expecting another win this week so the team will find a way to break our hearts and lose to the Dolphins. On the flip side the Bills have played well at home the last couple seasons and you know the crowd will be fired up with the Pegula news this week. Sprinkle in the first home game after Ralph's death, a possible appearance from Bills legends and there's a lot of karma working in favour of a Bills win. 20-17 Bills?

I didn't see the Miami game but looking at the box score and how events unfolded I'd probably give them the slight edge. Gotta love the Bills pulling it out but they had what, three turnovers and still managed to blow a lead and then barely win. On the other hand I thought the calls on balance went against Buffalo, including some that had serious consequences.

As to who wins, it's Buffalo. Buffalo matches up well against Miami of late and the energy level around the team will be crazy even if some things don't go their way earlier on.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Completely agree. If they are going to build a new stadium they had better have other attractions built next to it / near it and not have a "standalone" football stadium.

That's why, arguably, the best place to put the new stadium is downtown-right near First Niagara Center, Coca-Cola Field, HarborCenter and Canalside. A few weeks ago, Artvoice(the local weekly alternative paper)did a cover story on putting the new stadium in that area-and part of the plan was taking down the elevated section of the I-190(from Louisiana St. to near Church St.)and burying it(a la The Big Dig in Boston). If you want to take a look at the whole story, the August 7th issue has the full details.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That's why, arguably, the best place to put the new stadium is downtown-right near First Niagara Center, Coca-Cola Field, HarborCenter and Canalside. A few weeks ago, Artvoice(the local weekly alternative paper)did a cover story on putting the new stadium in that area-and part of the plan was taking down the elevated section of the I-190(from Louisiana St. to near Church St.)and burying it(a la The Big Dig in Boston). If you want to take a look at the whole story, the August 7th issue has the full details.

There was already a healthy debate on the feasibility of that plan here.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1676991&highlight=bills+stadium&page=33

Last edited:

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
There was already a healthy debate on the feasibility of that plan here.

While it is a really cool plan, and I would love that type of aggressive urban planning, burying the highway does not seem feasible.

The Big Dig in Boston, while a 3.5 mile tunnel, started planning in 1982 and was supposed to cost 2.8 Billion Dollars. It was completed in 2007 and cost over 14 Billion. That is the most expensive highway project in US history and it did not go smoothly, to say the least. it will not be paid off for like 20 more years.

I cant image that federal and state investment in Buffalo, where the need is not absolute. (to service a football stadium and ancillary gains). Boston did it to ease traffic congestion and find more space above ground for construction and green space. It was more a of a necessity.

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo

I did see that a while ago. Interesting idea, but cost and logistics aren't going to add up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/12/buffalo-bills-purchase-terry-pegula/

On Tuesday morning I was engaged in my day job, covering Capitol Hill for NBC News. But my mind was not focused on Speaker John Boehner talking about the role of Congress in the fight against ISIS, it was on Twitter, where Graham was now reporting he had two sources saying Pegula buying the Bills was “a done deal.†I was elated. However, being a Bills fan, I pinched myself knowing that nothing is certain until it’s totally certain (lest anybody forget the Tragedy in Tennessee, known by its “Music City†moniker outside of Western New York). It wasn’t till I got to my desk and saw the headline on the Buffalo News web page that I knew it was really happening. Then, I cried. I cried for my grandpa, my Uncle Bill and for my dad. I cried for all those Buffalonians who had fallen on hard times, who looked to the Bills to bring some joy into their lives. I cried because I knew some day, God willing, I’d have the opportunity to take my kid to a Bills game and form that bond, that connection, just like my father had done with me. I cried because I finally knew something that I loved so much, cared about so deeply, could never be taken away.

Some of you might read this and laugh or scoff—It’s just a team, It’s just a game, There are bigger problems in the world, Why do you care so much? Sure, there’s truth to that. But that passion is what makes the Bills so important. Let’s be honest, in recent years, Buffalo hasn’t had much to believe in. The economy is slowly recovering from collapse, there are no skyscrapers, no year- round ocean beaches, there’s probably more self-loathing than anything else. For Buffalo, the Bills are the reason to believe.

So thank you, Mr. Pegula, and thank you Mr. Wilson for all your efforts. For believing in a small-market town like Buffalo. For believing in the most loyal fans in the NFL. For believing that Buffalo can support a new stadium. And, most importantly, for believing that one day, Buffalo will be known for its Super Bowl Champion Bills.

Luke Russert is a political correspondent for NBC News. A life-long Bills fan, he has family ties to Western New York where his late father, long-time Meet the Press moderator Tim Russert, grew up.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
While it is a really cool plan, and I would love that type of aggressive urban planning, burying the highway does not seem feasible.

The Big Dig in Boston, while a 3.5 mile tunnel, started planning in 1982 and was supposed to cost 2.8 Billion Dollars. It was completed in 2007 and cost over 14 Billion. That is the most expensive highway project in US history and it did not go smoothly, to say the least. it will not be paid off for like 20 more years.

I cant image that federal and state investment in Buffalo, where the need is not absolute. (to service a football stadium and ancillary gains). Boston did it to ease traffic congestion and find more space above ground for construction and green space. It was more a of a necessity.

Well it's a lot different than the big dig. Much smaller scale. The Big Dig also had to deal with existing underground subway tunnels. Additionally, the area of the dig was reclaimed land, so they literally ran into sunken ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad