Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
3rd the year before with basically identical personnel
Yeah but they don't have the 78 goals from Skinner, Olofsson and Mittelstadt and it's a question as to whether Tuch or Tage combine for 80+ goals again.

The point still stands. They weren't a bottom 3rd team in goals last year, so to say their top 6 goal scoring is fine is incorrect.

But if you are happy with it, cool.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Yeah but they don't have the 78 goals from Skinner, Olofsson and Mittelstadt and it's a question as to whether Tuch or Tage combine for 80+ goals again.

The point still stands. They weren't a bottom 3rd team in goals last year, so to say their top 6 goal scoring is fine is incorrect.

12th in 5on5 goal scoring, held back by a dysfunctional power play which was a coaching rather than a talent issue. Yeah I'm fine with where we're at.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
12th in 5on5 goal scoring, held back by a dysfunctional power play which was a coaching rather than a talent issue. Yeah I'm fine with where we're at.
Interesting. Same coaches had them at 9th in pp % the year before.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Yea because Tage threw bombs nobody was expecting up to January. The powerplay drastically fell off in the second half of the year when teams adjusted and stopped Tage from shooting. The early season success buoyed the pp % for the season.

This is the entire problem. The coaches didn't adjust and just kept trying to force shots through Tage. It went predictably.

So I only checked one site but sabres PP% in 2022-2023

Oct to Dec - 28.3%
Jan to April - 18.52%

Seems quite clear it was already going awry in 2022-2023

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Anybody who gets put on a line with McDavid is going to produce if they can finish. Savoie can finish. Oilers will be happy with him. Oilers have enough size and grit to shield him
Plus there is a buffer year. It will be Skinner scoring goals in the top six this year, and then Savoie taking his spot the year after.

This could even happen with Savoie on the team in the bottom six this year, but most everyone is saying Savoie spends a year in the AHL

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
When you say still has one year left and would not be that expensive, I am assuming you are referring to McLeod. If he plays in a more significant role than #4C and duplicates his previous season he would be looking at possibly $3M+ in arbitration. Given what he brings to the table the Oilers could not risk such a decision with Bouchard and Draisaitl both up next year. So the chances are he would have been traded after the season ended and likely for less, or they would just let him walk to avoid the arbitration. If he is primarily the #4C and his production falls then in the end he would still be a piece they would move to save money to use more strategically.

After the Oilers signed Arvidsson and Henrique, two guys who bring much more to the table, McLeod's future with the team was probably sealed.

The Oilers also made a rather unexpected move and traded to get a 1st this year. Their pick was Sam O'Rielly. While no one knows how he will turn out, it seems pretty clear that the Oilers see him as a guy who could fill the #3/4 C slot down the road. They also got Noah Philp back. I could easily see him filling the #4C role next year at $800K or less, rather than the $2-3M+ you get from McLeod. Philp was really impressive in his last year in the AHL. He had to take a year off for personal reasons, but I think many on the Oiler board see him as a future Oiler. He is very good defensively, and on the pk and is an aggressive forechecker who is even slightly bigger than McLeod. But he also showed surprising offensive skills including a pro level shot.

Savoie may never contribute anything to the Oilers but he has a much better chance of helping at all and certainly helping them sooner than a generic 2nd or 3rd round pick which is what I think he probably would get if moved next year.
None of this addresses what I was talking about. Team is in win now mode. Could of afforded McLoed easily if they didn't want to buy old players

McLeod has young legs he's fast can be a valuable 3rd liner and is at the age where you expect players to take a step. You need players to push the pace

They signed old players maybe it works but Henrique is 34 Skinner 32 Arvidsson 31 missed most of last year injured. Kane looks messed up Hyman Skinner RNH Brown Janmark Ryan Perry more 30yr olds.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

I think they are expecting Quinn to be healthy along with Thompson ,Cozens and 2nd year Benson who is going to be a stud.Add Tuch and Peterka and improved PP and a backend of Dahlin Byram and Power .I think we will be ok

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Anybody who gets put on a line with McDavid is going to produce if they can finish. Savoie can finish. Oilers will be happy with him. Oilers have enough size and grit to shield him

I think Savoie would fit better feeding Draisaitl goals.

McDavid is the one feeding other goals just like he did with Hyman.

Of course, that is if Draisaitl stays pat this year as I don't expect Savoie to make the roster straight up, but who knows.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

No, they changed the PP coach last season and never were able to course-correct even after realizing that was a mistake and taking it out of Matt Ellis' hands. Last season's PP is far and away the #1 reason Don Granato is unemployed right now.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Mcleod will be a 3C for the next decade. Elite speed, completely responsible defensively, only some offence but there potential for more.

Savoie sounds like a great prospect, but it’s not like Buffalo isn’t getting a good piece back here.

I had Mcleod’s value pegged as a 1st+. This trade tracks.

I don't see that at all and I like McLeod. When he was in Edmonton the Oilers gave him every chance to take the 3C role and run with it. He just couldn't. They acquired Henrique for exactly this purpose.

On the plus side McLeod does have NHL top tier speed. Legit.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I don't see that at all and I like McLeod. When he was in Edmonton the Oilers gave him every chance to take the 3C role and run with it. He just couldn't. They acquired Henrique for exactly this purpose.

On the plus side McLeod does have NHL top tier speed. Legit.

He's the new Magnus Paajarvi

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He's the new Magnus Paajarvi
He battles a little harder than MP did. He certainly tries to avoid direct hits like Magnus did though. He is much smarter though. I think McLeod can likely establish himself as a Cogliano or Marchant type if he can get a little bit tougher and realize he isn't a rookie anymore.

North

Jun 25, 2009
None of this addresses what I was talking about. Team is in win now mode. Could of afforded McLoed easily if they didn't want to buy old players

McLeod has young legs he's fast can be a valuable 3rd liner and is at the age where you expect players to take a step. You need players to push the pace

They signed old players maybe it works but Henrique is 34 Skinner 32 Arvidsson 31 missed most of last year injured. Kane looks messed up Hyman Skinner RNH Brown Janmark Ryan Perry more 30yr olds.
If McLeod was a true 3C, Henrique wouldn’t have been needed. Fact is with McLeod we still had a hole at 3C because he couldn’t do it.

McLeod has some good things going for him but unfortunately he is not a reliable performer in the playoffs.

He was the odd man out.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

In theory we should be fine. It will depend on our Centers.. if Tage doesn't break himself and Cozens is smart enough to stay away from the likes of Hathaway it should be good. But if our Centers faulter that will obviously impact our wingers.

Quinn and Peterka taking another step. Tuch staying healthy and consistent. I'm not too worried about our scoring outside of Center play.

Yep we dealt Savoie but we still have Benson and Kulich is on the cusp.

Young D core and the voodoo of goalies is more of a concern. Can UPL carry last seasons play into this season?

Reactions: Zman5778

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
BUF fans probably know this more than Edmonton. Could Savoie replace Skinner as a finisher in NHL in let's say one year?

Oilers are likely hoping Savoie to be Skinners replacement in 15months

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
BUF fans probably know this more than Edmonton. Could Savoie replace Skinner as a finisher in NHL in let's say one year?

Oilers are likely hoping Savoie to be Skinners replacement in 15months
Impossible to say. He absolutely could, but he probably needs a longer runway. He has been beating up on kids in the WHL too long (due to the CHL agreement), and he needs to adjust to the physicality of the AHL for some time. He has the speed and skillset, but his injuries, development history, and smaller frame give me pause. I wouldn't be surprised to see him miss some time this year for injury, which would delay his needed development.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad