Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And at center in Edmonton, his most common wingers were Corey Perry and Warren Foegele.
Perry wasn't bad in the regular season, but Perry and Foegele were pretty craptacular in the playoffs except for a part of the SCF where Foegele actually played decently.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Perry wasn't bad in the regular season, but Perry and Foegele were pretty craptacular in the playoffs except for a part of the SCF where Foegele actually played decently.

TageGod is very down on Benson as a player, so it's just some tacit complaint about him as a finisher and Greenway overall.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He was constantly put with Draisaitl throughout the season. He would do fine then completely disappear after 4-5 games.

The guy was complaining about who McLeod's wingers would be. The point remains, in Edmonton when he was playing center, his most common wingers were Perry and Foegele.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
The guy was complaining about who McLeod's wingers would be. The point remains, in Edmonton when he was playing center, his most common wingers were Perry and Foegele.
I'm honestly curious, how did you find that out?

archangel2

May 19, 2019
More I look at this deal the more I think the oilers will be viewed long term as the loser of the trade. They had to move McLeod due to cap reasons. I actually think Savioe wont do any damage in the NHL but McLeod was one of the reason the oilers PK and defence was so good this past playoffs

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Do you understand that along with scoring goals in the NHL, you need to prevent (or attempt to slow down) the opposition from scoring goals ?

The players you listed along with McLeod do that fairly well
Do you understand that the Sabres were bad at scoring goals last year and they moved out two top 5 producers on their team for goals/points?

Having two shutdown lines is cool and all, but were in trouble if the top 6 is taxed with such a large percentage of goals, especially if they don't full revert to the previous season. The third line is going to be HUGE to our playoff chances. It needs to do both.

And at center in Edmonton, his most common wingers were Corey Perry and Warren Foegele.
Wait, I thought that was their 4th line wingers?

is mcleod going to be 3c? or lw3 with krebs as 3c?
Krebs currently is an extra forward. Mcleod is 3C

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
TageGod is very down on Benson as a player, so it's just some tacit complaint about him as a finisher and Greenway overall.
I am lower on him than most fans, but people are too high on him as a player. His ceiling is a 2nd line 20-40-60 player. His game matured early so he is further along than his age shows, which is why he excelled at the start. He is no Eichel, his rookie season is not foreshadowing a ppg two war all-star. He is limited as a small player that is not fast enough and has a completely average shot. He has intangibles that Sabre's fans are enamored with. He fell to 13 for a reason. Can he be our 2nd line winger eventually? Sure.

I would prefer to see Zucker bumped down with a top 6 addition and greenway out, Zucker rounds out that line much nicer imo.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I am lower on him than most fans, but people are too high on him as a player. His ceiling is a 2nd line 20-40-60 player. His game matured early so he is further along than his age shows, which is why he excelled at the start. He is no Eichel, his rookie season is not foreshadowing a ppg two war all-star. He is limited as a small player that is not fast enough and has a completely average shot. He has intangibles that Sabre's fans are enamored with. He fell to 13 for a reason. Can he be our 2nd line winger eventually? Sure.

I would prefer to see Zucker bumped down with a top 6 addition and greenway out, Zucker rounds out that line much nicer imo.
I swear I heard this stuff about some other guy. Think he scored 57 goals this year or something.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I swear I heard this stuff about some other guy. Think he scored 57 goals this year or something.
Rhino is a natural goal scorer. We know Benson is a pass first playmaker. Was always surprised he didn't score more here.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
More I look at this deal the more I think the oilers will be viewed long term as the loser of the trade. They had to move McLeod due to cap reasons. I actually think Savioe wont do any damage in the NHL but McLeod was one of the reason the oilers PK and defence was so good this past playoffs
He was their fifth best PK forward and was healthy scratched because he had like four horrible giveaways that directly led to goals.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Do you understand that the Sabres were bad at scoring goals last year and they moved out two top 5 producers on their team for goals/points?

Having two shutdown lines is cool and all, but were in trouble if the top 6 is taxed with such a large percentage of goals, especially if they don't full revert to the previous season. The third line is going to be HUGE to our playoff chances. It needs to do both.

Wait, I thought that was their 4th line wingers?

Krebs currently is an extra forward. Mcleod is 3C
They need to stop the other team from scoring goals, then they don't need to score 5 or 6 every night

If things go as planned, look for 2-1, 3-2 scores ... Not the 6-4 or 7-2 like 2 seasons ago

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
They need to stop the other team from scoring goals, then they don't need to score 5 or 6 every night

If things go as planned, look for 2-1, 3-2 scores ... Not the 6-4 or 7-2 like 2 seasons ago
As a group that could not make it to overtime, one goal games are spooky.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
No hyperbole there. None at all.

They need to score on the PP. Skinner really didn't help the PP. But, SO FAR, hard to see some of these moves moving the needle much. Savoie is a #9 overall but definitely some early hiccups. My issue with Sabres is about making 2024-25 an all in season when they will be lucky to make playoffs.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Savoie never plays a game for us I'm not sure that we lost this trade. The Oilers are a team that is trying to win a cup and they needed to cut bait with our weak links to try and upgrade them so that hopefully next year we get over the hump.

Our weak links were: McLeod, Foegele, Ryan, Perry, Ceci and Nurse.

McLeod due to his speed and age has value to teams that aren't as close to competing for the cup but his $2.1 million deal was too rich to be a 4th liner here and he has arbitration eligibility at the end of the deal when we are trying to lock up Draisaitl, Bouchard and McDavid long term. McLeod is not the guy to do whatever it takes to win and that's what we need right now.

Foegele was inconsistent as all beat hell and like McLeod has good wheels but doesn't pay the price enough even though he is much better than McLeod in this regard but makes legitimately dumb plays frequently. Like McLeod he is a playoff ghost and overpaid for a guy that might see some 4th line ice time.

Ryan may or may not be a regular this season, I'm hoping that he's in the PB or sent down because he doesn't have it in him anymore to be a contributing bottom 6 option in the playoffs. No issue with heart or decision making here, guy is just about done as a pro hockey player.

Perry was pretty terrible but his leadership was a welcomed addition to the team. IMO you can have 1 guy like this in the lineup (veteran leader) if they aren't producing, not 2 of them which is why Perry probably sticks and Ryan sits or gets demoted to Bako.

Ceci may or may not be coming back. Lots of rumors about him being on the block but as of now he's still an Oiler. I'm hoping that they can somehow upgrade on him because we can't afford to have him and Nurse playing big roles on the team unless Nurse actually bounces back as a player.

Nurse is Nurse, completely overpaid and immovable. We are stuck with him and have to factor in him being a liability game after game. This is why it's so important to move out Ceci so that we hopefully only have one such player on D.

If Savoie pans out during his ELC this is a homerun for us, if he doesn't it allowed us to open cap up and remove the possibility of getting stuck with an inflated arbitration award that we can't stomach for a guy that hasn't shown the ability to carve out a spot in our core. Hopefully McLeod gives Buffalo what they wanted from him in this trade and Savoie does the same for the Oilers. Either way we cleared some cap out and our GM's job isn't done for this offseason just yet.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

They also need help getting the puck from their zone up the ice and McLeod's transition stats available in public spaces point to a player who can do that even prior to seeing what changes Ruff will want from the forwards compared to how Granato had them blowing the zone early and Bylsma-esque stretch passing to get going on the rush.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad