Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
BUF fans probably know this more than Edmonton. Could Savoie replace Skinner as a finisher in NHL in let's say one year?

Oilers are likely hoping Savoie to be Skinners replacement in 15months

Not as a finisher, but I think he will be an improvement in every other aspect.

Reactions: LTIR

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
What changed?

He was just ranked as a top 30 prospect somewhere. What other than a couple injuries and GM's absolute hatred of a small hockey player is going poorly with him? Adams would not have traded him if he was 5'11 190.
Alex Nylander . Griffin reinhart. Could be wrong But think we won the trade big

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Part of this trade was his $2.1 million, phenomenal value for this year.
Alex Nylander . Griffin reinhart. Could be wrong But think we won the trade big

That's a big statement. Athletic has Savoie at #42 for under 23s who haven't made NHL. McLeod was a guy we needed, but a big part of his value was his $2.1 million cap hit this year (very low), which is something we don't need with $14 M in room and three players to sign. I think we overpaid (not by a ton) for some things we didn't need. Namely a cheaper contract. But there isn't a ton of liquidity in third-line centres. Sometimes, you gotta overpay. Simple. Getting some control years is part of the value. An intangible is being from Mississauga, near Buffalo, and potentially creating a better signing opportunity but that is total speculation with no meat on the bones from any journalist.

Reactions: Chainshot

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Buffalo wonn the trade
Congrats to them..

Oilers needed to shed cap and still do to fit in Holloway and Broberg.
McLeod +4th for a 5th could've been the need in Edmonton.

They will likely be "losing" the next couple trades as well and won't mind it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Buffalo wonn the trade

I'm sure someone will be bookmarking this for a necro-bump the first time Savoie has a multipoint game.

Buffalo filled a need. Edmonton shed salary and a redundant player. Both achieved an outcome they wanted. And at this point, it's more likely that Buffalo overpaid for the puck transition and stat profile of a player.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
McLeod started last season on a 21-game goalless drought...then followed up in the playoffs with a 15-game goalless drought

he is fast though
Good thing his linemates are. Benson and Greenway; those natural goal scorers.....cough cough, yikes.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Good thing his linemates are. Benson and Greenway; those natural goal scorers.....cough cough, yikes.
He also scored 3 or 4 goals in the SCF when It mattered most - if he avoids those droughts next year can he get to 40-45 pts? If so biffalo
Would be very happy ( that’s basically what cirelli produces who fans were pining for….)

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
He also scored 3 or 4 goals in the SCF when It mattered most - if he avoids those droughts next year can he get to 40-45 pts? If so biffalo
Would be very happy ( that’s basically what cirelli produces who fans were pining for….)
I don't think you acquire Cirelli if you anticipate that production. 45 points is great, he won't get ANY PP time. We're hoping for 45, when he is replacing a 65 point player, which is not great.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'm sure someone will be bookmarking this for a necro-bump the first time Savoie has a multipoint game.

Buffalo filled a need. Edmonton shed salary and a redundant player. Both achieved an outcome they wanted. And at this point, it's more likely that Buffalo overpaid for the puck transition and stat profile of a player.

Personally I don't see this thread ever slowing down.

Pin it.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
He did that as a winger and played with Draisaitl. Even during the season his best offensive stretch was playing wing with Draisaitl. When he plays bottom 6 center unfortunately he regularly goes long droughts without goals and points. He has his entire career and the way he plays currently which is strictly on the perimeter and almost never anywhere near the net, there is no reason to believe he will score more then 25-30 points a season if he is used as a bottom 6 center. When he plays wing he seems to be more effective offensively, I don't think he is a very good center, at least so far in his career, which is why the Oilers had to find a replacement. I was yelling at the Oilers the entire playoffs to put him on the wing, he was one of their most ineffective players until that point as a center.

Last edited:

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
He did that as a winger and played with Draisaitl. Even during the season his best offensive stretch was playing wing with Draisaitl. When he plays bottom 6 center unfortunately he regularly goes long droughts without goals and points. He has his entire career and the way he plays currently which is strictly on the perimeter and almost never anywhere near the net, there is no reason to believe he will score more then 25-30 points a season if he is used as a bottom 6 center. When he plays wing he seems to be more effective offensively, I don't think he is a very good center, at least so far in his career, which is why the Oilers had to find a replacement. I was yelling at the Oilers the entire playoffs to put him on the wing, he was one of their most ineffective players until that point as a center.
Is this based on you or on actual data - because the analytic said he scored approximately 20 to 25 of his points away from Drai as a center last year. Also isn’t his entire career like 2 1/2 years? And he’s a 24 year-old Center? No one saying he’s going to be a 70 point player but I don’t think the story is written on this guy especially on a team that has super center depth like yours. He will actually play with likely better wingers here than he did as a center in Edmonton.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Is this based on you or on actual data - because the analytic said he scored approximately 20 to 25 of his points away from Drai as a center last year. Also isn’t his entire career like 2 1/2 years? And he’s a 24 year-old Center? No one saying he’s going to be a 70 point player but I don’t think the story is written on this guy especially on a team that has super center depth like yours. He will actually play with likely better wingers here than he did as a center in Edmonton
He very well may have better wingers in Buffalo which could help but being effective and playing consistent is not always measured well by stats. He only played a limited time on the wing and with Draisailt but he was more effective and a more consistent player in those games then he was playing center, where he regularly went 10, 15 games accomplishing very little. He played a noticebly different game on the wing then center, especially in the offensive zone. Maybe he will improve though, he is reasonably young. I will be surprised if he gets more then 25 or 30 points used strictly as a bottom 6 center. If Buffalo can get 30 points out of him in that role, they should be pretty happy.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Is this based on you or on actual data - because the analytic said he scored approximately 20 to 25 of his points away from Drai as a center last year. Also isn’t his entire career like 2 1/2 years? And he’s a 24 year-old Center? No one saying he’s going to be a 70 point player but I don’t think the story is written on this guy especially on a team that has super center depth like yours. He will actually play with likely better wingers here than he did as a center in Edmonton.
He had 19 points away from Leon including 15 5 vs 5 points. The context though is that he had those 15 points in a little over 780 minutes. But he had 11 points in 182 minutes with Leon. 5 of his 5 vs 5 points away from Leon came with Kane on his wing. 2 more came in a short time frame in which he played with McDavid. If he does not get pp time he is probably in the 20-30 point range next year. Maybe he gets 30-35, but more than that would be a real step forward. That said 25-30 5 vs 5 points is pretty good for a guy making $2.1M

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00