Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Poor Sabres fans.. I relate...

Being stuck with such a shitty organization, you guys deserve better.

As far as I'm concerned, it comes down to ownership.

Leadership comes from the top to the bottom...

P.S.: Savoie's got elite speed, he might mesh well with McDavid's speed, as a complementary winger.
I am not a Homer but a realist.Good trade for both teams.Buffalo needs someone who is good on faceoffs and PK.They addressed that in free agent signings.They needed to add speed which they did in this trade and free agent signings.Edmonton needed some young blood who has potential to be high end.They got that.Buffalo traded a high-end prospect from a very strong prospect pool.Rosen, Kulich Ostlund Benson Wahlberg Helenius Neuchev.Buffalo has the youngest core in the league on top of these prospects. They had to make some moves from a position of strength to addressed their needs which they did.I wish Savoie the best hopefully he can stay healthy he has potential to be dynamic.

Reactions: Czechboy

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I am not a Homer but a realist.Good trade for both teams.Buffalo needs someone who is good on faceoffs and PK.They addressed that in free agent signings.They needed to add speed which they did in this trade and free agent signings.Edmonton needed some young blood who has potential to be high end.They got that.Buffalo traded a high-end prospect from a very strong prospect pool.Rosen, Kulich Ostlund Benson Wahlberg Helenius Neuchev.Buffalo has the youngest core in the league on top of these prospects. They had to make some moves from a position of strength to addressed their needs which they did.I wish Savoie the best hopefully he can stay healthy he has potential to be dynamic.

Why do people say a player who is under 50% on faceoffs lifetime is good in faceoffs? He was barely above 50% last year.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
McLeod is a legit NHL player who should play 82 games if healthy. I love the guy and am sad he's gone. Agree though.. better suited to Wing.

No guarantee Savoie makes an impact for the Oilers. He may be in Bakersfield all year. Still .. the upside is amazing and we need high end elcs.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Savoie’s “listed” height and weight only make any sense if they were taken when he was in his skates and full gear. I promise you he’s not that big. He was noticeably smaller than Benson on the same ice.
Well by that logic, so were Yamamoto's and the 30 lb difference remains. Not as if the Oilers are trading for this guy to be physical, it's the skillset they're after. Yamamoto is a bad comparison by posters solely fixated on size IMO.

In the same facet, McLeod is listed at 6'3 207. Ceteris paribus, McLeod could be 6'7 250 or 5'4 120 and it would not affect his game in the slightest - it's all skating for him.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Which was best on Edmonton and best on Buffalo and not even close that's why
Frankly I have never seen FOW% as much of a factor in assessing a player in comparison with all other aspects of their play, but the fact is that McLeod was not the best faceoff guy on the Oilers. In fact he was behind all of Draisaitl, McDavid and Ryan in FOW%. Henrique, Holloway and Carrick also had better numbers but in a much smaller sample size.

Reactions: capazzo

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Well by that logic, so were Yamamoto's and the 30 lb difference remains. Not as if the Oilers are trading for this guy to be physical, it's the skillset they're after. Yamamoto is a bad comparison by posters solely fixated on size IMO.

In the same facet, McLeod is listed at 6'3 207. Ceteris paribus, McLeod could be 6'7 250 or 5'4 120 and it would not affect his game in the slightest - it's all skating for him.

It’s not logic that he’s applying to a player. It’s him talking about the size of a specific player. If you have thoughts on the size you think McLeod or Savoie is, then you should share it

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
It’s not logic that he’s applying to a player. It’s him talking about the size of a specific player. If you have thoughts on the size you think McLeod or Savoie is, then you should share it
I just did, right in the post you quoted.

Just to sum for you, because you stopped reading after the first 3 words of my previous post: Anyone fixated on size for McLeod are going to be incredibly disappointed. Oilers are not trading for Savoie to be a physical player, or big. Yamamoto comparison is not apt, watching how the two players play shows their differences. Yamamoto is a poor skater and does not have the shot of Savoie.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
From the Oilers perspective this is about both short term and long term asset management. Short term the Oilers needed to shed cap. That meant one of Kane, Ceci, Kulak or McLeod was gone. Moving one of the defensemen would create its own challenges, though it is still possible that one gets dealt. Kane's health situation complicates any deal for him right now. Moreover, if he is healthy he brings a dimension to the team that is something I believe they value. That said I think they will look to move him next year when his value may well be higher.

This leaves McLeod as a natural candidate for trade to resolve the current cap issue. Given that the Oilers most likely saw him as a winger and with the news that they expect Kane to be ready for the opener, there is a pretty big log jam on the wings. Moreover, if he was to duplicate his current year he would have been in line next off season for an arbitration award in the $3-4M range which the Oilers could not afford. At that point his trade value might well have been a 3rd or 4th. Moving him now for a high end asset with three years left on his ELC made a lot of sense for the Oilers. Even if Savoie completely busts the real loss might well be the equivalent of a 3rd round pick next year.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I just did, right in the post you quoted.

Just to sum for you, because you stopped reading after the first 3 words of my previous post: Anyone fixated on size for McLeod are going to be incredibly disappointed. Oilers are not trading for Savoie to be a physical player, or big. Yamamoto comparison is not apt, watching how the two players play shows their differences. Yamamoto was a poor skater and does not have the shot of Savoie.

Yea, you quoted a post talking about his literal size. Nothing in either of your posts are about what you quoted.

We’re aware of Savoie’s play style.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Yea, you quoted a post talking about his literal size. Nothing in either of your posts are about what you quoted.

We’re aware of Savoie’s play style.
The post about his size in/out of equipment is anything but literal or exact. The same resources that list Yamamoto at 5'7 153 have Savoie at 5'9 178. I'm led to believe either both were in gear or out of gear, unless you have some more specific knowledge that you'd like to share.

Regardless, the size bit doesn't change my core argument anyways.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As an oiler fan I love this deal and it only partly has to do with the return. The moment the Oilers resigned Henrique? Ryan was toast and we needed to move his contract. The fact we got a guy who might be able to do something is a bonus. For me this trade adds a good prospect for a player we HAD to move

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
This. Otherwise, Adams really is a sucker when doing business.
I have money on Adams being a sucker and desperate to save his job & make the playoffs this year.

However, I think Adams saw how quickly Savoie went down last year with an injury. Considering the Sabres are soft as butter, other teams like Florida and Tampa take lots of liberties with us, guys like Savoie will get eaten alive. Adams did not get value back but I suspect he wanted to pivot away from smaller guys and get a 3rd line C/W that can provide insurance if Krebs is a lame duck this year.

I'm, still not sure what to think about the players we got back. Half of the posters say Mcleod is lucky to be in the NHL, the other half say he's a legit 3rd line center. I assume Tullio is just a warm body, no idea why he was involved.

Reactions: BHD

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
The post about his size in/out of equipment is anything but literal or exact. The same resources that list Yamamoto at 5'7 153 have Savoie at 5'9 178. I'm led to believe either both were in gear or out of gear, unless you have some more specific knowledge that you'd like to share.

Regardless, the size bit doesn't change my core argument anyways.

Yea, someone just pointed out that the Savoie size is not accurate (which it’s not). That’s all. Just because you like Savoie now for your team, and you should, doesn’t mean you need to argue about anything said about him.

If you want to think he’s 30 pounds heavier than Yamamoto, go ahead. Like you said, it doesn’t matter at all (and I don’t know why you’re arguing against it).

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Yea, someone just pointed out that the Savoie size is not accurate (which it’s not). That’s all. Just because you like Savoie now for your team, and you should, doesn’t mean you need to argue about anything said about him.

If you want to think he’s 30 pounds heavier than Yamamoto, go ahead. Like you said, it doesn’t matter at all (and I don’t know why you’re arguing against it).
Prove it. It's all speculation. Sites like eliteprospects have published stats, what you and others are claiming shows up nowhere. If his listing is wrong, then likely many players' are wrong.

If supposedly being an inch shorter and 10 lbs lighter (approximately, not literally) is the largest knock on the player, not his skillset; drive; shot; IQ; then that seems minimal.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I have money on Adams being a sucker and desperate to save his job & make the playoffs this year.

However, I think Adams saw how quickly Savoie went down last year with an injury. Considering the Sabres are soft as butter, other teams like Florida and Tampa take lots of liberties with us, guys like Savoie will get eaten alive. Adams did not get value back but I suspect he wanted to pivot away from smaller guys and get a 3rd line C/W that can provide insurance if Krebs is a lame duck this year.

I'm, still not sure what to think about the players we got back. Half of the posters say Mcleod is lucky to be in the NHL, the other half say he's a legit 3rd line center. I assume Tullio is just a warm body, no idea why he was involved.
Nobody who says that McLeod is lucky to be in the NHL is credible. He can play as your #3C but he has flaws in that regard. I think most Oiler fans see him more as a winger or a #4C had he stayed.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Prove it. It's all speculation. Sites like eliteprospects have published stats, what you and others are claiming shows up nowhere. If his listing is wrong, then likely many players' are wrong.

If supposedly being an inch shorter and 10 lbs lighter (approximately, not literally) is the largest knock on the player, not his skillset; drive; shot; IQ; then that seems minimal.

Lots of players’ listed heights/weights are wrong. This seems to be especially true for short players, who frequently have an extra inch or three tacked on to their true height. Plus, there are guys who’ve grown or gained/lost weight but never had their official measurements updated.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Lots of players’ listed heights/weights are wrong. This seems to be especially true for short players, who frequently have an extra inch or three tacked on to their true height. Plus, there are guys who’ve grown or gained/lost weight but never had their official measurements updated.
Sure, that's a reasonable argument. And following that way of thinking and to my first point, is it then hard to believe that Yamamoto's measurements would be 'adjusted' to a similar degree? My entire point was that Yamamoto and Savoie are clearly different players with different styles. Perhaps Savoie is smaller than what is listed, but Yamamoto likely is too. The direct comparison between Yamamoto and Savoie based on size is pointless, when in fact there is a definitive and non-minimal difference between the two.

Not sure why the other guy was upset for me using the word 'logic' to describe the thinking process that we are both talking about right now: players measurements are bumped to look 'better' on paper. If all the stats are over-reported, perhaps if the degree they are over-reported is consistent, say 5-10%, then the relation between the numbers is more accurate than expected.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am in favor of this type of trade for BUF(legit NHL depth player for forward prospect), but underwhelmed with McLeod being the depth player in question. I would've preferred a player with more sandpaper to his game, but they could've done worse.

Buffalo has plenty of small/average sized young forward prospects. Losing Savoie won't kill them. I fully expect Peterka, Quinn, Benson to be decent offensive top 9 players at the least, and they have Ostlund, Kulich, and the like simmering.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Lmao you literally just made that up. This is trolling right? It has to be.

What is made up? He is from Edmonton area? It is speculation that he wanted to be near his family. I can't see why else Buffalo traded him for such a shit return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad