Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Savoie led the WHL in PPG last year. You don't trade that type of high end top end talent for a 3C who’s looking to get a payday soon. Especially one that got benched in the playoffs for his inability to play physical hockey. You trade a 2nd/3rd and a b prospect for that type of player. Savoie was my favorite Sabre prospect.
Absolutely wild. He slipped a bit from his pre draft rankings to end up at 9oa iirc as well

Reactions: nabob

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Where is the size portion? He caught a flat footed d man in transition and ended up with a partial break away. When you say driving to the net with size and speed it means guys like Hyman who actually have someone pushing against them they need to outmuscle. I've seen McLeod throw away more pucks than anyone on the team when he's about to get hit. There is absolutely 0 size to his game.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
He already has the defender beat wide. There's no threat of contact with him driving to the net. Show me a clip of him doing that when there is an actual defender in position to get body contact on him. You won't find one, and if you do its a one in a million play because he basically never does that.

Lmao right? This is an example that no critic of McLeod would take issue with. He objectively has speed. If Buffalo is looking for a rapid third line winger, this is a good example of how he could fill that role. A center who is going to win in the difficult areas of the ice? He's just not that guy.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
But were they shopping him or offering him up for other players? Haven't heard anything like that.

Chad DeDominicus who has a really good local rep says that Savoie has been on the table for all the deals that were being worked on leading up to the draft.

McLeod is the "type" that Adams is comfortable overpaying for. Young, fast, cheap with cost-controlled years.

How many young cheap legit NHL centers, with upside, are actually acquireable in a trade, except for an overpay.

Was Adams competing against himself? Maybe he could have waited another week or two? I don't know. It would be very disappointing if he got this deal done byanymeansnecessary because he thought it wouldn't be there next week or something.

EDM won the trade but it's understandable why BUF made the trade. I hope Savoie has a healthy future and a great NHL career. I really like his game and he's a fantastic kid.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Why didn't Buffalo just sign a better 3C for free a couple days ago? lmao
Not exactly a free agent destination with their rebuild lol.

Oilers took one of the best off the market too in Henrique. Tampa, Blues, and Winnipeg all wanted Rico and all struck out and are still looking.

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Is he though? I didn’t think he was mistake prone during his time here. The glaring ones in the playoffs seem to be making this more of a narrative than it actually is.

I saw a lot of warranted criticism that Mcleod isn’t physical enough, but by and large he’s in the right spot defensively.
He’s in the right spot often. But like in the Vancouver game 6 he just lets Petey go right by him because he’s not even willing to physically engage with smaller players. The number of times he failed to clear the zone in the playoffs as well because he was unwilling to take a hit to make the play.

The glaring ones in the playoffs are just highlighting the truth. They aren’t making the narrative more than it is…they are proving it to be true.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So much copium here.

Guy was drafted #9 OA 2 years ago and now he's traded for a soft 3rd liner.

Someone dropped the ball big time on the Sabres end. Either the amateur scouts suck, or the GM suck at trading.
Or Jackson is a generational trader

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
His WHL ppg this season is the best of any player not named Connor Bedard since Mike Comrie in the 2000-01 season. He's obviously not a sure thing at his size, but that's pretty crazy.
He also might be injury prone dur to his smaller size.

Buffalo has youth depth.

Just look at their drafting since 2020 They have a bunch of F depth.

Benson, Quinn, Peterka on team now

Then there is Ostlund, Kulich, Rosen, helenius. Poltapov, wahlberg drafted in top 40 since 2020

Reactions: ManByng

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
McLeod was one of the more frustrating players to watch. He always left me wanting more.

Has the size and speed to be a star.

But his hands, finishing ability, and physicality are atrocious.

Kind of a weird player. I would be surprised if he scored more that 20 points next year.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
So much copium here.

Guy was drafted #9 OA 2 years ago and now he's traded for a soft 3rd liner.

Someone dropped the ball big time on the Sabres end. Either the amateur scouts suck, or the GM suck at trading.
Or the Sabres had as need they wanted to target. Thfy have plenty of prosprct depth.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
McLeod has wheels, good at zone entry and back checking, he typically pushes the puck in the right direction in a hockey game as he’s good defensively(doesn’t cheat offensively)… BUT he has no shot, not the greatest hands and physical play non-existent. Good 4c or 3rd line winger on a winning team but he just doesn’t drive offence

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The Sabres still have 6 first-round picked forwards after trading Savoie.

that being said, I think its a mass overpayment for a 3rd line player. Whether they have 1, or 7 first-rounders (last 4 drafts) I think it's a mass overpayment. I can't imagine trading Lekkermerkai alone, let alone Lekkermaki + for a Ryan Mcleod. Do we really want to trade away a 9th pick for a proven 3rd line player? considering Buffalo is still in the rebuild stage. I thought the plan was to let these guys cook in the minors or whatever, develop. if they want 3rd line players find them in free agency, get the most out of your prospects than go from there, and see what they can do.

I assume, Winnipeg not like this offer? It means, Rutuger McGroarty aint gonna get much, or Adams is just a dumb desperate gm, that is not poised and patient.

Kevn Adams is the next fired gm of the NHL.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I knew Savoie would be an Oiler one day. My post from the 2022 draft thread ;)

“Savoie is on an Oilers fan. Can't wait till he forces a trade to us, I can tell by the depressed wrinkles on his "smile" that he's leaving Buffalo as soon as he can to come home.“

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
What a bittersweet trade. Love McLeod! Did not want him gone.

On the other hand.. our prospect cupboard is thin and Savoie joins Xavier B as our top forward prospect. He may make the team out of Campinas we need some elcs.

Now trade Kane or put him on the Vegas ltir deal for the season!

Loving the offseason but we need better D.

Reactions: Oilhawks

North

Jun 25, 2009
Sure buddy, keep telling people that. Your word means nothing.

Ryan McLeod is the more valuable piece in this deal, and if you did watch those “100 games” you so claim to have watched you would know this.

Matthew Savoies won’t help Edmonton win that game 7, but more Ryan McLeod’s will. I hate this move for Edmonton.
This is hilarious. Believe me. Edmonton fans are well aware of who McLeod is. You, non-Edmonton fan, have no clue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad