Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Also this move kinda shows the Sabres love how Rosén has done in Rochester and felt Savoie expendable. Think people don’t realize how much he’s grown in his game and is solid both ways.
And how Kulich has done. And how Ostlund has done. Benson straight-out made the team at 18. Neuchev impressed. We've still got Poltapov coming.

And then we go and draft Helenius....an actual center.

We've all (most of us) have been saying for 2 years that one of Rosen/Savoie/Kulich/Ostlund needed to be dealt for immediate help. And now with Helenius in the pipeline.......there's still plenty of reason to deal one of Rosen/Kulich/Ostlund for immediate help.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Probably for the best. From an Oilers standpoint Savoie is probably the Skinner replacement next season when he likely prices himself out of Edmonton, unless he kills it in the AHL and gets a late season call up.

I have no idea what your top 9 wing situation is. Savoie was on track to make the Sabres out of camp last year until an injury during our prospect challenge. That spot likely would have been there for him once he got healthy.....but Benson straight-up stole the spot out from underneath Savoie.

It wouldn't shock me at all to see Savoie make the Oilers out of camp, if there's room for him.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
McLeod is a dime a dozen 3rd liner that you can get for 2nd or a 3rd rounder.

Spending a player that was picked #9 OA for that is the definition of failure.
Say that to the deals Wennberg Stephenson and other middle six centers got in FA

McLeod is team controlled, with really good defensive metrics and put up 27 ES points

Sabres knew they needed to fill the hole, and gave up Savoie, who I really like, but has question marks to his transition to the NHL. His multiple shoulder injuries against smaller competition may have scared Adams enough to make him expendable

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I have no idea what your top 9 wing situation is. Savoie was on track to make the Sabres out of camp last year until an injury during our prospect challenge. That spot likely would have been there for him once he got healthy.....but Benson straight-up stole the spot out from underneath Savoie.

It wouldn't shock me at all to see Savoie make the Oilers out of camp, if there's room for him.
I don't see him making Oilers out of camp due to the Wingers we picked up in Free Agency. But nice to hear that he was that close. I could see Savoie being a black ace call up in the playoffs though.

Reactions: Zman5778

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I don't see him making Oilers out of camp due to the Wingers we picked up in Free Agency. But nice to hear that he was that close. I could see Savoie being a black ace call up in the playoffs though.
The only reason he wouldn't be a black ace is if the Jeff Skinner curse catches you and Bakersfield is playing longer than Edmonton is

• Haha
Reactions: Oilhawks

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
What a surprise the 3 worst trades from the offseason are this, Walman, and Joseph trade. Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa. What a shocker.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

There probably isn't this season unless an injury happens or unless he is so impressive that they have no choice.

The depth chart currently is:
LW: 1) Nuge, 2) Skinner, 3) Kane, 4) Holloway, 5) Janmark
RW: 1) Hyman, 2) Arvidsson, 3) Brown, 4) Perry

Perry is likely in the press box to start the year unless Kane isn't healthy. If Kane's healthy then Holloway slides over to RW like he did a lot last year.

The one possibility with a healthy line up if Savoie blows the doors off in camp is Nuge moves back to centre and they run something like this:

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Holloway-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Kane-Nuge-Savoie
Janmark-Henrique-Brown

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Think it comes down to Savoie is flashy, fun and a sexy get for Edmonton. While McLeod is purposeful and boring for Buffalo.

Going more towards constructing more of a “team” rather than a collection of skill that we’ve seen the last 2 seasons. With a lot more skill waiting in the wings.
That is the complete opposite of what McLeod is.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
There probably isn't this season unless an injury happens or unless he is so impressive that they have no choice.

The depth chart currently is:
LW: 1) Nuge, 2) Skinner, 3) Kane, 4) Holloway, 5) Janmark
RW: 1) Hyman, 2) Arvidsson, 3) Brown, 4) Perry

Perry is likely in the press box to start the year unless Kane isn't healthy. If Kane's healthy then Holloway slides over to RW like he did a lot last year.

The one possibility with a healthy line up if Savoie blows the doors off in camp is Nuge moves back to centre and they run something like this:

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Holloway-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Kane-Nuge-Savoie
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
I guess maybe if Kane isn't healthy and Savoie impresses maybe that's Savoie's route to breaking camp with the big club?

Personally, I was always pencilling in Savoie for at least half a season in Rochester if not the full season. So him going to a (far) deeper team likely means he's spending the year in Bakersfield.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I guess maybe if Kane isn't healthy and Savoie impresses maybe that's Savoie's route to breaking camp with the big club?

Personally, I was always pencilling in Savoie for at least half a season in Rochester if not the full season. So him going to a (far) deeper team likely means he's spending the year in Bakersfield.
Yeah I think he'd really have to impress like a Wyatt Johnson type performance as a rookie. I could see him getting a 9 game look if the salary cap allows it, especially is Kane is out for a while to start the year. That's still TBD.

The more likely scenario is he plays most of if not all the year in Bakersfield and either gets a late call up or is a replacement for Skinner next year.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Yeah I think he'd really have to impress like a Wyatt Johnson type performance as a rookie. I could see him getting a 9 game look if the salary cap allows it, especially is Kane is out for a while to start the year. That's still TBD.

The more likely scenario is he plays most of if not all the year in Bakersfield and either gets a late call up or is a replacement for Skinner next year.
FWIW, 9 games doesn't mean anything for Savoie this year. His ELC is starting regardless of where he is.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Read the posts from most of us. We understand the value is not there in a vacuum, but we are also desperate to address needs and fix the team now. Inaction is just driving the value of prospects down, as they literally do not have the spots to develop appropriately.
I will not be reading 30+ pages of Buffalo fans justifying the trade. Massive pass.

BlackAdam

May 5, 2013
Seriously, were the Sabres so far passed their save file in GM Mode that when they accidentally pressed accept, they were like screw it...

Reactions: HuskyBruinPride

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Using the rationale of Buffalo is overcrowded with high end prospects so they can lose out on trades to fill needs would be the equivalent of Edmonton saying they have too many centres and trading Nugent-Hopkins for Jared Tinordi.

It’s not the moving of the prospect, it’s the value you’re getting back. Like I said earlier, it’s like having 5 Mercedes and trading one for a bicycle because you need a bicycle instead of asking for a bicycle + 50,000$ or bicycle + a brand new Honda civic.

Obviously it’s from an outside perspective looking in, and maybe this is the best deal Buffalo fielded. But I would have personally been more comfortable keeping him and moving on from him once he gains more value.

It’s ludicrous to trade him because you have too many prospects, they might all not pan out and if they do, it’s a good problem because you can trade them for max value when they do. THAT is when you trade for need.
This is exactly right and many Sabres fans don’t want to accept this as the truth.

Ad

Ad

Ad