Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
See what happens. Maybe Ruff feels he can mold him to be more physical iij csl centrr and on buffalo he probably has better wingers to play with

Savoie seems top 6 or bust type of player.
McLeod is a dime a dozen 3rd liner that you can get for 2nd or a 3rd rounder.

Spending a player that was picked #9 OA for that is the definition of failure.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Think it comes down to Savoie is flashy, fun and a sexy get for Edmonton. While McLeod is purposeful and boring for Buffalo.

Going more towards constructing more of a “team” rather than a collection of skill that we’ve seen the last 2 seasons. With a lot more skill waiting in the wings.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Not exactly a free agent destination with their rebuild lol.

Oilers took one of the best off the market too in Henrique. Tampa, Blues, and Winnipeg all wanted Rico and all struck out and are still looking.
Buffalo cannot sign quality free agents. They never have been able to, and the outlook has not gotten better with a 13 year playoff drought.

As for the trade, Buffalo is literally at the point where their prospects are getting in the way of one another. There are not enough too 6 spots available now or in the future, and the need for a defensively minded center was desperate.

So yes, poor value in a vacuum, but a move that we have been clamoring for the last 2 years. Trade from a position of overabundance to improve the team now.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Seems the case is typical. The media and fan bases of each side trying to talk themselves into why their side of the trade is way better. But in reality, the betting money might be on neither of the two players traded becoming impact guys per se.

On X, some Sabres fans seem to hate the trade. some are saying they could have given up another one of their other 1st round picks cause for them, he's one of their top prospects, and looking at t heir prospects they are not wrong
Ineffective in the regular season, or "McDavid in the SCF game 7" ineffective?
people dumping on mcjesus for an ineffective game 7 personally, I thought he generated the most shots on goal for his team and scoring chances for his team.
While McLeod is purposeful and boring for Buffalo.

Going more towards constructing more of a “team” rather than a collection of skill that we’ve seen the last 2 seasons. With a lot more skill waiting in the wings.

100% fine with this. Building an NHL team or an Olympic teamits not al star game.
Personally, I think if 3rd line players you can find out of free agency. examples being Manny Malhotra , more recently Pius Sutr and Teddy Blueger who plays a similar style to Ryan McLeod type. Especially for a Mcleod type. he didn't scare me one bit.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Think it comes down to Savoie is flashy, fun and a sexy get for Edmonton. While McLeod is purposeful and boring for Buffalo.

Pretty much this.. Hopefully this turns in to be a win-win for both sides.

Oilers get cap savings now and a potential top6 replacement for Skinner after this season .

BUF get a better shaped but still young forward group.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Holy smokes I would be livid if I was a Buffalo fan. I am not even particularly fond of Savoie either.
Read the posts from most of us. We understand the value is not there in a vacuum, but we are also desperate to address needs and fix the team now. Inaction is just driving the value of prospects down, as they literally do not have the spots to develop appropriately.

Reactions: Chainshot

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Also this move kinda shows the Sabres love how Rosén has done in Rochester and felt Savoie expendable. Think people don’t realize how much he’s grown in his game and is solid both ways.

Reactions: Zman5778

OilerMcLord

Oct 9, 2003
100% - he is a demon on the forecheck and back check. You need players like him with speed and heart to win come playoff time. Not saying he’s the sole reason the Oilers went far last season but he was a piece of the puzzle, and now that piece is gone and hasn’t been replaced.
This is completely false.

I get the sense that you are thinking of a different player than Ryan McLeod.

Edit:
I just see that you claimed that McLeod is better than Henrique. You are obviously trolling, so I will block you at this time.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Buffalo shouldn't be tossing away their best prospects for bottom 6 players but at the same time the team , management and fanbase need a playoff caliber season. They need something to believe in.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
not judging the trade itself but in terms of asset management, this is awful for Buffalo. If you trade your top 10 pick in 2022 instead of drafting Savoie, you are getting a HAUL.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I can kind of understand the reasoning... Thompson and Cozens are your top 2 guys and Savoie is probably not going to be your third line center. McLeod seems to be your prototypical 3rd line guy and young enough to fit with the rest of the Sabres current crop of youth.

You'd like to see your recent top 10 draft pick get more than a young 3rd line center though.

Reactions: elchud

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I can kind of understand the reasoning... Thompson and Cozens are your top 2 guys and Savoie is probably not going to be your third line center. McLeod seems to be your prototypical 3rd line guy and young enough to fit with the rest of the Sabres current crop of youth.

You'd like to see your recent top 10 draft pick get more than a young 3rd line center though.
Think there's a decent chance Savoie plays wing in the NHL, or at least its very likely he will in Edmonton.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Am I completely out of touch with reality if I think that as soon as next year Savoie will have similar impact as McLeod if given the same opportunity?
Savoie won’t be playing center in the NHL. He wasn’t even going to play center in Rochester next year

Reactions: elchud

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Buffalo cannot sign quality free agents. They never have been able to, and the outlook has not gotten better with a 13 year playoff drought.

As for the trade, Buffalo is literally at the point where their prospects are getting in the way of one another. There are not enough too 6 spots available now or in the future, and the need for a defensively minded center was desperate.

So yes, poor value in a vacuum, but a move that we have been clamoring for the last 2 years. Trade from a position of overabundance to improve the team now.
I understand your pain. Was tough in Edmonton too without any winning to attract free agents.

I would agree, on its surface the value sucks. A 9th overall for a third liner. But considering team needs and fit and contracts I really think it grades out to a win-win. Which is fine, that's what trades are supposed to be, to help both teams out.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Using the rationale of Buffalo is overcrowded with high end prospects so they can lose out on trades to fill needs would be the equivalent of Edmonton saying they have too many centres and trading Nugent-Hopkins for Jared Tinordi.

It’s not the moving of the prospect, it’s the value you’re getting back. Like I said earlier, it’s like having 5 Mercedes and trading one for a bicycle because you need a bicycle instead of asking for a bicycle + 50,000$ or bicycle + a brand new Honda civic.

Obviously it’s from an outside perspective looking in, and maybe this is the best deal Buffalo fielded. But I would have personally been more comfortable keeping him and moving on from him once he gains more value.

It’s ludicrous to trade him because you have too many prospects, they might all not pan out and if they do, it’s a good problem because you can trade them for max value when they do. THAT is when you trade for need.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
My prediction is Sabres win the deal because Savoie has injury problems and I think he will be a career AHL or head to europe

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Savoie won’t be playing center in the NHL. He wasn’t even going to play center in Rochester next year
I just mean if you staple both of them to either McDavid, Nuge, or Drai, Savoie will be the better player for Edmonton.

Edmonton didn’t acquire Savoie to usurp McDavid, Draisatl, Nuge or Henrique.

Reactions: Oilhawks

North

Jun 25, 2009
Broberg might sign an offersheet if there is not LD room on the team for him.

It's funny that a rookie was thrown into division finals and forced to play their offside in playoffs instead of a veteran like Nurse or Kulak.

Also Kulak a 3rd pairing Dman making 2.75M might be too much for MrJackson.
Broberg has played both sides in the past. It’s not that odd.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He’s in the right spot often. But like in the Vancouver game 6 he just lets Petey go right by him because he’s not even willing to physically engage with smaller players. The number of times he failed to clear the zone in the playoffs as well because he was unwilling to take a hit to make the play.

The glaring ones in the playoffs are just highlighting the truth. They aren’t making the narrative more than it is…they are proving it to be true.
You'd like a hit on that play. He had him lined up too but instead chose to swipe at him.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Probably for the best. From an Oilers standpoint Savoie is probably the Skinner replacement next season when he likely prices himself out of Edmonton, unless he kills it in the AHL and gets a late season call up. Sam O'Reilly I think they envision as their 3C for the future when Henrique is inevitably done in 2-3 years. Nice thing about their prospect retool this year is they picked up two right shot players for a forward group that only has 3 right shot players (5 if you count press box guys like Perry and Derek Ryan).

What an off-season JJ is having as "not GM". This man has a clear vision for this team for the remainder of McDavid and Draisaitl's career. I'd be extremely surprised if they don't re-sign with him running the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad