Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
He is absolutely an NHL player. He's just frustrating as he has some issues that prevent him from taking the next step to being a really good middle six player - strength, physicality, and an average shot all leave you wanting more, but he is absolutely still a good NHL player. He's like a young Andrew Cogliano in many ways. You'll like him. Then you'll be frustrated as he turns a grade A chance into a wrist shot in the stomach.

The big issue for him on the Oilers is that he had a really rough playoffs, aside from when he was on the pk.
He also didn't score a goal for basically the first half of the season and didn't really produce any offense until he was paired with Drai. He is a decent player though

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
McLeod still has some upside as an excellent 3rd liner. His biggest question mark is being a bit timid towards physical play but he could still grow out of that. Surprised by the reaction to this but I only know Savoie by his bio.

Reactions: Macheteops

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It's hilarious seeing Buffalo fans clinging to anything to justify that this was a good trade for them. You are the minority. You go anywhere online and there's a reason why their GM is getting laughed at. lol

Reactions: Oilhawks

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
That hurts, but it’s true. McLeod was however the Oilers least effective forward. So getting anything for him is a bonus. Getting a really good prospect is amazing.

Very good value for him I agree.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not what any of us are expecting from McLeod. It's about what Ruff and Adams are expecting out of him. Buffalo has revamped their bottom 6 near completely so far. Those changes will be graded this season. Losing Savoie doesn't even move the meter for me as a Sabres fan. Neither does acquiring McLeod. 13 seasons of no playoffs watching all star players sh it the bed here for whatever reason will do that to a fan base.
So others can say overpay, your team lost the trade, and so on......none of us will really know until we see the trade pieces deployed for use.
That's fair. While I think this trade is a massive win for Edmonton on value, I do think it helps improve Buffalo's roster. Edmonton was desperately in need of a blue chip prospect with Broberg and Holloway now full-time NHLers. They also got Savoie at pretty much the perfect time in his development. 3 years on his ELC, and 2 of those years after a hopeful Draisaitl extension, and 1 of those years after a hopeful McDavid extension. Perfectly fits their window for needing a cheap top 6 winger, and who knows if he blows the doors off the AHL this year he might earn himself a spot in the NHL after the trade deadline.

I understand the apathy as a Sabres fan, but also the excitement from Edmonton's side because the Oilers really lack quality and especially near NHL ready prospects.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Sums it up pretty nicely.

In before all of Edmonton completely ignores any mention of concern about Savoie and goes right to “McLeod sux”.
McLeod is great if he can ever figure out scoring touch he will be a first liner

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Tough price to pay for Buffalo but they’ve got too much of the same thing.

McLeod is a guy who skates very well, very smart positionally, good defensive stick, can win draws, can PK. But he’s not a physical player at all, definitely relies more on his skating and positioning. He’s also never really shown much offensive ability at any level. He’s likely close to a finished product as a reliable bottom 6 C who’s one of your better pk’ers who puts up 30-35 pts a year and can be used in situational matchups. Year before last against Vegas in the second round he centered a line that was the only line that had any sort of success at slowing down the Eichel, Marchessault, Barbashev line.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You think Sabres traded Reinhart and Montour because they didn't think they were good players? Lol
I think all teams make mistakes in the value of players. You think they correctly assessed Montour as being worth a 3rd rd pick? Lol

Reactions: Gordian Knot

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It's hilarious seeing Buffalo fans clinging to anything to justify that this was a good trade for them. You are the minority. You go anywhere online and there's a reason why their GM is getting laughed at. lol

Most say it is an overpay... but are fine with it because it addresses a serious need now.

And don't think Savoie is an automatic lock.. he has serious injury concerns but I think he will do very well in Edmonton.

Reactions: Three On Zero

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
At first didn't like the trade came around to it still think it's an overpay but not horrible would have preferred our first and a collection of other pieces but still not horrible I can come around to a fast physical defensive center with good age still and inexpensive makes us much better overall at the moment wouldn't mind seeing a trade bringing in another winger but think we are set for the season but now Krebs is displaced currently
You're spot on besides the physical aspect. Ryan McLeod isn't just allergic to hitting, but he's allergic to even going within 5 feet of a loose puck where there might be physical contact. He's content reaching for pucks and skating pucks around the outside of the ice before distributing it. If you have some puck hounds and guys who like to drive the net you might have a good line match for him.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah, but he’s also 5’9” and coming off 2 straight seasons with significant shoulder injuries. He’s good, but he’s certainly not without risk.

There was a problem with the Sabres having too many smallish offensive prospect wingers and some needs on their roster.

There's a case for trading Savoie, just not for the player they did.

If it was for a good young controlled RHD, it'd make sense.

This makes none

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think all teams make mistakes in the value of players. You think they correctly assessed Montour as being worth a 3rd rd pick? Lol

Absolutely not. But the way he was playing at the time and the fact there was a deadline before they lost him for nothing.

You're spot on besides the physical aspect. Ryan McLeod isn't just allergic to hitting, but he's allergic to even going within 5 feet of a loose puck where there might be physical contact. He's content reaching for pucks and skating pucks around the outside of the ice before distributing it. If you have some puck hounds and guys who like to drive the net you might have a good line match for him.

You just described Zach Benson perfectly

Reactions: McFlyingV

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
McLeod still has some upside as an excellent 3rd liner. His biggest question mark is being a bit timid towards physical play but he could still grow out of that. Surprised by the reaction to this but I only know Savoie by his bio.
That was the exact same profile he had when he was drafted in 2018…not sure he grows out of that at this point.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Seems the case is typical. The media and fan bases of each side trying to talk themselves into why their side of the trade is way better. But in reality, the betting money might be on neither of the two players traded becoming impact guys per se.

Reactions: BKarchitect

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
My first reaction : Wait I thought Carter Savoie was Oilers property.

Second reaction : Holy s*** that's Matt Savoie, the guy who was over 2 PPG in the WHL

Third reaction : That kindof explains why the Sabres are having issues since Assassins Creed 2 was released

Fourth reaction : Don't tell me McGoarty is worth a mid first and a roster player.
Except McGroaty is a decent size and has a high floor as in likely NHL third liner at worst. It's only a question as to whether his skating will keep him from becoming a top-6 forward. He has been trending up in the prospect rankings every year since he was drafted.

And just because a desperate organization that hasn't made the playoffs in 13 years decides to make a bad trade it doesn't mean other organizations have to resort to such tactics.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Absolutely not. But the way he was playing at the time and the fact there was a deadline before they lost him for nothing.

You just described Zach Benson perfectly

Benson is constantly drawing contact and using it to protect the puck.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That was the exact same profile he had when he was drafted in 2018…not sure he grows out of that at this point.
That has been a knock on his game since his early days in the OHL. A leopard can't change its spots. This is a guy who just flat out refused to even finish his checks in the playoffs while watching guys like McDavid and Draisaitl finish their checks all plays even while fighting through injuries. I really just don't think it's in his DNA.

Reactions: Oilhawks and nabob

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
There's a case for trading Savoie, just not for the player they did.

If it was for a good young controlled RHD, it'd make sense.

This makes none
This trade was reportedly in the works for a week, very likely Buffalo didn’t get any better offers

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
This is the weirdest trade I've seen for a very long time. I had to check Buffalo didn't have another Savoie and it wasn't the 9th overall from a few years back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad