Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Again, there is, at least in my opinion, the high probability Edmonton makes out better in tbis trade than the Sabres do in the future.

But that doesn’t mean it’s a bad trade for the Sabres. It isn’t. It fills a need they have NOW.

I mean, is it that hard to understand?
Let's not cope - if the Calgary Flames traded a Martin Pospisil or the Canucks traded a Nils Hoglander for a Zach Benson, those fanbases would have every reason to be jumping for joy.
I wonder if the Buffalo GM even called around... lots of teams should have been interested at that price point.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I can find many 4th liners who had a few game stretches of ppg in their AHL careers too.

Does Savoie have talent??? --yes. Do I see him as a 70+ scorer...no.

If he was that talented. Why didnt he go top 5?

Why did they not have him on the 23 WJC team?

Buffalo had him with the team out of camp but injured. When they activated him, benson I think was injured. Hr only played 5 min of one game then back to juniors. Hr p ln ayef in A on a post injury rehab.

I dont seem him in a bottom 6 role. Brnson ostlund and Kulich I can

If I look ahead to say 2026 or 2027 summer where decisions likely made...

assuming no trades for top 9......

LW Peterka, Benson, Wahlberg , Poltapov, Greenway( if resigned)
C Cozens*, Thompson*, Helenius, Ostlund*, McLeon
RW Tuch, Quinn, Rosen,
* Can move to RW
There are other prospects

Some get traded.
Savoie could easily be a 60-80 point player. Not sure how you make such a call without the guy even playing a season in the NHL.

Reactions: The Nuge and kylbaz

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Let's not cope - if the Calgary Flames traded a Martin Pospisil or the Canucks traded a Nils Hoglander for a Zach Benson, those fanbases would have every reason to be jumping for joy.
I wonder if the Buffalo GM even called around... lots of teams should have been interested at that price point.
It's been reported that Adams had been trying to trade Savoie all summer and no one bit. One of the Sabres beat reporters (Lance Lysowski) also reported that he talked to sources on teams around the league and they said Savoie didn't have as much value as the public thinks. Teams were more interested in Kulich and Wahlberg, and Adams didn't want to trade either of them.

That doesn't mean Savoie's not a good prospect or that Oilers fans shouldn't be thrilled, just that it's not as bad of a value trade for the Sabres as looks on the surface. We'll all have to just wait and see how it turns out. I hope it works out for both teams, personally.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Well your alternatives at center were:

Monahan at 5.5 mill (worse than McLeod), Stephenson at 6.25 mill, or Elias Lindholm at 7.75 mill, or Wennberg at 5 mill.

McLeod at 2 mill is an absolute bargain
Monahan is so much better than McLeod lol

Reactions: JarvisFunk

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’m confused by use of the word cope here. Does it mean “anyone who disagrees with me” in this context? The post you quoted merely said they didn’t think this was a bad trade.

It would seem obvious the gm called around and there were rumors they were looking to do something like this.

Reactions: Laus723

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I think most people's hang up is in perceived values. We don't know what value either of these guys have around the league right now. Fans are laughing and saying one team ripped off the other. In reality, we don't know if that's true or not.

I think we absolutely do know their values because they were just demonstrated.

Common sense suggests each player was shopped. Reports back that up.

What people are having trouble with is realization their perceived value was wrong.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think we absolutely do know their values because they were just demonstrated.

Common sense suggests each player was shopped. Reports back that up.

What people are having trouble with is realization their perceived value was wrong.
We know the player values to the teams involved in the trade, true. We don't necessarily know their values on a league wide-basis though. I do agree that people are having a difficult time grasping that the perceived values were wrong, but I believe you are correct about that.

Monahan is so much better than McLeod lol
Monahan is a better scorer/producer, but I'm not sure if I would take him over McLeod at face value. I know I would rather have McLeod at his cap hit than Monahan at his.

Reactions: DJN21 and Chainshot

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
It's been reported that Adams had been trying to trade Savoie all summer and no one bit. One of the Sabres beat reporters (Lance Lysowski) also reported that he talked to sources on teams around the league and they said Savoie didn't have as much value as the public thinks. Teams were more interested in Kulich and Wahlberg, and Adams didn't want to trade either of them.

That doesn't mean Savoie's not a good prospect or that Oilers fans shouldn't be thrilled, just that it's not as bad of a value trade for the Sabres as looks on the surface. We'll all have to just wait and see how it turns out. I hope it works out for both teams, personally.

Even if thats true - still a very shrewd move by the Oil.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Savoie could easily be a 60-80 point player. Not sure how you make such a call without the guy even playing a season in the NHL.
Are you saying the other poster can’t make a call about him not being a 70 point player "without him playing a season in the NHL", then turning around and saying he could "easily be a 60-80 point player", without him ever playing a season in the NHL?

I'm not saying either of you are wrong as I don't know as much about the guy, just seems odd that you would call him hour for making call without seeing him, then doing the same thing yourself.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Are you saying the other poster can’t make a call about him not being a 70 point player "without him playing a season in the NHL", then turning around and saying he could "easily be a 60-80 point player", without him ever playing a season in the NHL?

I'm not saying either of you are wrong as I don't know as much about the guy, just seems odd that you would call him hour for making call without seeing him, then doing the same thing yourself.
He's not declaring that he's going to be a 70+ point player, he's saying that it's possible, as it's possible he's not a 70+ point player. The other poster on the other hand was declaring that he's not a 70+ point player. So, they're not doing the same thing at all. I don't see how you would interpret it as such.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He's not declaring that he's going to be a 70+ point player, he's saying that it's possible, as it's possible he's not a 70+ point player. The other poster on the other hand was declaring that he's not a 70+ point player. So, they're not doing the same thing at all. I don't see how you would interpret it as such.

Simple.

The other poster said: "Do I see him as a 70+ scorer...no". So in other words, he's not projecting him to be a 70 point player. He's not saying it's definitively, he's said he doesn't see it.

The poster I responded to said he "Could easily" be a 60-80 point player. When someone says "could easily", that typically means they feel it's a high probability. So he's projecting his view on the player as well. If he would have left out the "easily" part, I wouldn't have even responded.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

When did I say they can't? They can do what they want. They just look stupid doing it.

The difference what I said and the other poster said? The other poster gave an absolute answer while mine is a guess. Learn the difference.

• Haha
Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
We know "size" is the only thing GM's really care about with prospects. His "value around the league" is significantly less than his on-ice value because of his size. Again, that speaks to a size bias and not a Savoie issue, which is why you don't sell low on your first round pick who had a longer path to the NHL.

The Injury thing just drops his value further to the previous point.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I think, in the end, it's a small off season trade which should help both sides. However... This thread may end up being the MVP of the offseason.

Reactions: capazzo

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Top 25 prospect traded for an average 3C

Sucks being a sabres fan.
The amount of Buffalo fans that love this trade are nuts. McLeod is a sub par 3C and in no way, shape or form is he even close to being worth a top 9 pick from a few years ago. But because Buffalo has so many high picks it makes it okay? Nope. 100% desperation and McLeod isn't going to turn the team around. Brutal trade.

I am really happy as an Oiler's fan, but I am starting to think of...

What other 24 year old centres making $2.1M that scored 30 points with zero powerplay time were available? I can kind of see what Buffalo was doing, but still that price was pretty high.
Most of his points were when he was at wing with Draisaitl. As a center he did next to nothing and then eventually played his way out of the spot.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The amount of Buffalo fans that love this trade are nuts. McLeod is a sub par 3C and in no way, shape or form is he even close to being worth a top 9 pick from a few years ago. But because Buffalo has so many high picks it makes it okay? Nope. 100% desperation and McLeod isn't going to turn the team around. Brutal trade.

Most of his points were when he was at wing with Draisaitl. As a center he did next to nothing and then eventually played his way out of the spot.
When you lose 13 straight years in a row mediocre becomes something hopeful.

Sabres fans - McLeod and Mitts are almost worth the same!!

Me - So you would give McLeod 5.75m a season like Mitts?

Sabres fans - Hold on a second!

Reactions: The Nuge

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Not most, but a sizeable portion were.
His P/60 5v5 with Drai was 2.58
His P/60 5v5 without Drai was 1.37

A 5v5 P/60 of 1.37 would rank him 209th for NHL forwards with at least 800 5v5 minutes played. That would be considered upper tier for 3rd line forwards if we consider 32 teams = 96 1st line players, 96 2nd line players, and 96 3rd line players.

But I don't think his regular season impact was the concern for Edmonton. He was solid in that role during the season. It was his massive drop off in playoffs and unwillingness to up his intensity and physicality that hurt the team on numerous occasions that made him an easy cap casualty for Edmonton.

But Buffalo doesn't care about the playoff performance of this player. They'd be happy just to make playoffs and get swept in the first round because it would be a building block for the team. If McLeod can help them get there to help develop their young guys in a winning regular season environment I really don't think they care if he's not a piece of the future to try and help them win in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad