Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It’s not really that complicated to me. McLeod adds speed, a modicum of talent and some experience to a Buffalo group that can use the depth. Maybe he’s the 3C, maybe he jumps up to play wing higher in the lineup at times. It’s a good add, he’s the right age for this group and Buffalo has a wealth of other young forward prospects including a fairly similar player in Benson who’s played very well.

This player has more value than he’s being credit for. Savoie is a very productive junior player who has the skill level to probably be a second line player, but isn’t the largest guy. A very good prospect. Higher ceiling of the two, but younger and less developed.

This isn’t a crazy trade. Prospects don’t win games, players do. The Sabres want the playoffs now and needed to step up their depth. It had a cost to it, they think it’s worth it. Both teams can win the trade. It’s ok for both teams to get what they think they want/need.

I think it’s ridiculous to think Adams isn’t aware of the league wide value for Savoie. This was clearly the best value out there for the Sabres.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I just made a post in the thread. Some people (mostly aggressive EDM fans) responded. I replied. Is that "invested"? I'm not sure. Are the people like you that keep replying invested? I also like arguing about hockey. It's fun. It's HFboards. And the insults and devolution of this exchange started from you. Just responding in kind.

I'd define a "blue chip" prospect as one that is likelier than not to be a top of the lineup contributor (1st line forward or 1st pair defenseman). I don't think there are that many pure prospects (i.e. excluding young players already full-time in the NHL) that fall into that. I'd consider, in no particular order:
- Celebrini
- Levshunov
- Buium
- Smith
- Michkov
- Demidov
- Clarke

Edge cases
- Wright
- Leonard
- Gauthier
- Edvinsson
- Kulich

Really only 7 I would put for sure in that bucket.

I would put Savoie in the same tier of prospect as someone like Lekkerimaki. Good prospect, they have a chance at being a high-end player, but not a great bet at it.

Some people just can't handle an unbiased evaluation.

you’re entitled to your opinion. I don’t really think you’re unbiased given your need to downplay savoie not only in this thread, but in the Canucks thread where you seem to be under the impression that the reason we traded savoie was to stock the prospect pool.

You’re being disingenuous. You know the real reason why he was traded… He was a cap casualty. And the fact that we got a prospect who is two years removed from 9OV, AND cap space is worth more than what McLeod is worth. And I know you know that deep down inside.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
It’s not really that complicated to me. McLeod adds speed, a modicum of talent and some experience to a Buffalo group that can use the depth. Maybe he’s the 3C, maybe he jumps up to play wing higher in the lineup at times. It’s a good add, he’s the right age for this group and Buffalo has a wealth of other young forward prospects including a fairly similar player in Benson who’s played very well.

This player has more value than he’s being credit for. Savoie is a very productive junior player who has the skill level to probably be a second line player, but isn’t the largest guy. A very good prospect. Higher ceiling of the two, but younger and less developed.

This isn’t a crazy trade. Prospects don’t win games, players do. The Sabres want the playoffs now and needed to step up their depth. It had a cost to it, they think it’s worth it. Both teams can win the trade. It’s ok for both teams to get what they think they want/need.

I think it’s ridiculous to think Adams isn’t aware of the league wide value for Savoie. This was clearly the best value out there for the Sabres.

I think it’s more so that Adams targeted McLeod and wanted him, for the reasons you described.

As an oil fan I’d happily do this trade 10/10 times.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
you’re entitled to your opinion. I don’t really think you’re unbiased given your need to downplay savoie not only in this thread, but in the Canucks thread where you seem to be under the impression that the reason we traded savoie was to stock the prospect pool.

You’re being disingenuous. You know the real reason why he was traded… He was a cap casualty. And the fact that we got a prospect who is two years removed from 9OV, AND cap space is worth more than what McLeod is worth. And I know you know that deep down inside.
Yes. I've said this multiple times in multiple posts. That EDM needed to create cap flex. Wow! You got me!

No. You are unable to interpret nuance correctly. I've said the trade doesn't make sense if it was purely to stock the prospect pool. I've also said if they flip Savoie as a trade chip for a nice addition at the deadline, that's a good line of business from Jackson.

You are upset with an unbiased opinion. You can no longer actually rebut my points, so you're just reverting to the "you're biased" line. Alright man. You do you.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Yes. I've said this multiple times in multiple posts. That EDM needed to create cap flex. Wow! You got me!

No. You are unable to interpret nuance correctly. I've said the trade doesn't make sense if it was purely to stock the prospect pool. I've also said if they flip Savoie as a trade chip for a nice addition at the deadline, that's a good line of business from Jackson.

You are upset with an unbiased opinion. Alright man. You do you.

Whatever the intent of the trade, edmonton wins purely on value.

I know you know that the move wasn’t made to stock the cupboards. So not sure why you felt like you needed to add that in, in the first place. Stocking the cupboards is just a bonus along with the cap space.

I’m not really upset with your opinion. As I’ve said you’re entitled to think what you want. But I do have an issue with you proclaiming how smart you are when you barely even know what type of player McLeod is. Out of curiosity, what do you think his value is?

Reactions: North Cole

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Imho it's a win-win trade for both teams. EDM gets an objectively really good prospect for a rather thin prospect pool (who is already looking better after that trade and the draft) and BUF gets their (hopefully) 3C in McLeod.

Neither BUF or EDM know if it will pan out or not. McLeod wasn't exactly known for his offense and I really don't know if BUF needs an offensive 3C or a more D oriented one. If the 2nd is true then they got their guy. EDM on the other hand needed more offensive talent (especially at W) because the departure of Skinner after this season is inevitable. We also needed cap space. So why not take a flyer on a prospect that is still highly touted.

EDM can also cover the "blow" to the PK personel. Yes, McLeod was great at PK but have you ever heard of the Janitor? ;)

Can't see exactly why we're bashing each other.

Reactions: Potvottier

Jage

Oct 29, 2022
Neither BUF or EDM know if it will pan out or not. McLeod wasn't exactly known for his offense and I really don't know if BUF needs an offensive 3C or a more D oriented one. If the 2nd is true then they got their guy.
They needed more defensive oriented guy.

Because this is HFBoards, trades must have winners the second they are completed.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
I think there is alot to like about Mcleod. Some games you watch him fly and mistake his speed for McDavid. People give Janmark and Brown alot of credit but Mcleod also grew into his role on the PK very nicely. For his toi (pk excluded) I think he brought good offense. He could be more physical. He tends to shy away from dirty areas but Im not crying if Mcleod is my 3C for rest of the decade. He is still young enough to grow into his role even more

I get why Oilers moved him. Both cap now and cap next year. I think Savoie is probably the best prospect this deal could possibly have yielded. Happy about it worked out. If Savoie ends up being a good top6 guy its less favorable for Sabres but until he does I think its a win-win trade.

I will 100% rather have McLeod over Savoie if its in a bottom 6 role.

Last edited:
Reactions: Potvottier

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Adams looks more desperate to acquire a player who was pushed out of the roster. McLeod was expendable you shouldn’t have needed a top prospect for their 4c/cast off. Bottom line. Adams missed the boat all draft and FA to make a move so desperation cottage trade happened.

I firmly believe Adams needs a negotiator to do it for him. We’re now in a window where trades will decide if we can become true contenders and I just don’t trust him to get it done.

Reactions: cramdizzl

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I won't lie.. I thought lander was going to be the absolute bomb for us!

Lol you bring up poor showings at World juniors and Mem Cup but fail to mention he was almost a PPG in a small size of the AHL in his D+2 year

I can find many 4th liners who had a few game stretches of ppg in their AHL careers too.
yet you point out the small sample size of the Memorial Cup and World juniors as evidence he "struggles" lol

most Oiler fans don't expect this guy to come in and be a 70 point player, but to say he's isn't a bonafide blue-chip prospect is absolutely false..not many players, even the best prospects, put up 2 PPG at 20 years old

to get a prospect like this for essentially a cap dump, is exceptional value

Does Savoie have talent??? --yes. Do I see him as a 70+ scorer...no.

If he was that talented. Why didnt he go top 5?

Why did they not have him on the 23 WJC team?

Buffalo had him with the team out of camp but injured. When they activated him, benson I think was injured. Hr only played 5 min of one game then back to juniors. Hr p ln ayef in A on a post injury rehab.

I dont seem him in a bottom 6 role. Brnson ostlund and Kulich I can

If I look ahead to say 2026 or 2027 summer where decisions likely made...

assuming no trades for top 9......

LW Peterka, Benson, Wahlberg , Poltapov, Greenway( if resigned)
C Cozens*, Thompson*, Helenius, Ostlund*, McLeon
RW Tuch, Quinn, Rosen,
* Can move to RW
There are other prospects

Some get traded.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Savoie for Askarov straight up.
It would be fair, but doesn't hit our needs. Plus, I wonder if Askaraov isn't being a bit of a malcontent in Nashville. Yes, his starting job of the future just disappeared, but if he thinks he is ready for an NHL starting job now, I would be leery of bringing him in anyway. He wouldn't be getting an NHL job in Edmonton either at this stage, and he would be battling for ice time with our other goalie prospect, Olivier Rodrigue, who we like a lot, even if he doesn't have the draft status and recognizability of Askarov.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
people need to pump the brakes real quick on the "Savoie is going to have a huge season with McDrai" talk. Hes very unlikely to play in the NHL this year let alone in the Oilers top 6
Oilers top 6 is set. Unless injury happens Savoie isn't on the Oilers this year, and even then not in the top 6 if he is called up. Savoie doesn't like a "can't" miss prospect but a very good one, there's a chance both fans end not liking the outcome of this trade.

I don't mind losing McLeod, his weak ass play in the playoffs bothered me, peeling away from contact and generally looking disinterested in doing what needed to be done. I can Buffalo fans feeling the same way by the end of the season.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Adams looks more desperate to acquire a player who was pushed out of the roster. McLeod was expendable you shouldn’t have needed a top prospect for their 4c/cast off. Bottom line. Adams missed the boat all draft and FA to make a move so desperation cottage trade happened.

I firmly believe Adams needs a negotiator to do it for him. We’re now in a window where trades will decide if we can become true contenders and I just don’t trust him to get it done.
I agree with this. To me, Savoie's bust potential doesn't come into play here, because Buffalo could have just been patient with him to see if his injuries and size are a factor moving forward, but they really seem to have jumped the gun here. But, they got the player they wanted, and I hope he shines for the Sabres, and puts some of his on ice issues behind him (softness, finishing ability, etc).

Oilers top 6 is set. Unless injury happens Savoie isn't on the Oilers this year, and even then not in the top 6 if he is called up. Savoie doesn't like a "can't" miss prospect but a very good one, there's a chance both fans end not liking the outcome of this trade.

I don't mind losing McLeod, his weak ass play in the playoffs bothered me, peeling away from contact and generally looking disinterested in doing what needed to be done. I can Buffalo fans feeling the same way by the end of the season.
I'm also in agreement with this. I actually believe that Savoie might be used as trade bait down the line, if the Oilers need to make a move to bolster their roster at the deadline. He is our most valuable piece, and one of only 2 pieces of "futures" that have the value of a 1st round pick at this stage.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Imho it's a win-win trade for both teams. EDM gets an objectively really good prospect for a rather thin prospect pool (who is already looking better after that trade and the draft) and BUF gets their (hopefully) 3C in McLeod.

Neither BUF or EDM know if it will pan out or not. McLeod wasn't exactly known for his offense and I really don't know if BUF needs an offensive 3C or a more D oriented one. If the 2nd is true then they got their guy. EDM on the other hand needed more offensive talent (especially at W) because the departure of Skinner after this season is inevitable. We also needed cap space. So why not take a flyer on a prospect that is still highly touted.

EDM can also cover the "blow" to the PK personel. Yes, McLeod was great at PK but have you ever heard of the Janitor? ;)

And let's not forget, Defence can be taught more easily than offence. PK can be taught as well. I have no doubt our PK will normalize after a historic run, but I don't think it will "suffer" from McLeod's absence., we still have Nuge, Brown and Janmark

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Still laughing at this trade and its lack of comparables
Was thinking JT Miller to Canucks a few years ago but the Canucks paid way less for way more.
Buffalo is certainly smoking something.

Reactions: The Nuge

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Still laughing at this trade and its lack of comparables
Was thinking JT Miller to Canucks a few years ago but the Canucks paid way less for way more.
Buffalo is certainly smoking something.

Again, there is, at least in my opinion, the high probability Edmonton makes out better in tbis trade than the Sabres do in the future.

But that doesn’t mean it’s a bad trade for the Sabres. It isn’t. It fills a need they have NOW.

I mean, is it that hard to understand?

Reactions: ceky

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Again, there is, at least in my opinion, the high probability Edmonton makes out better in tbis trade than the Sabres do in the future.

But that doesn’t mean it’s a bad trade for the Sabres. It isn’t. It fills a need they have NOW.

I mean, is it that hard to understand?
I think most people's hang up is in perceived values. We don't know what value either of these guys have around the league right now. Fans are laughing and saying one team ripped off the other. In reality, we don't know if that's true or not.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
McLeod is a known quantity who helps the Sabres *now*, filling a gaping hole at 3C. This is a playoffs-or-bust year (maybe you've heard that before).

Savoie is an excellent prospect who might be a big plus for the Oilers *later*. It's highly unlikely he wins a forward spot during the next two seasons. Which is fine with the Oilers, who look set to be Cup contenders for many years. In the meantime their thin prospect pool looks a lot better.

Good trade for both teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad