Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] D Rasmus Dahlin signs extension with the Sabres (8 years, $11M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
They were one point away last year with Anderson and UPL as their starters. If Levi is the real deal I feel they're more likely to win the presidents trophy this year than being out of the playoffs. They're just as good as the leafs in the east, that roster is elite.
Easy tiger.. Levi is 21 and has played like 5 games in the nhl . He is closer to algebra class than he is to the presidents trophy . They have a nice group with some high end pieces but it’s been almost 10 years .

if they are just as good as the leafs and that roster is elite then the Buffaloes must be elite .. not yet but they could get there for sure .Should be a fun season up there . Good luck

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Dahlin is a superstar and he is an '00 birth, meaning this will cover ages 24-32.

I don't see why are people acting like this is bad or whatever. Getting him locked in for his prime is a great thing. If he hit UFA at age 26 or 27, it's not out of the realm of possibility he could command $15 million depending on where he goes from here and what happens with the cap.
It's basically market value

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
If that was the case, i think edmonton should have won multiple cups already with such underpaid stars.

But it's funny you know, Eichel came last spring the first player ever eith 10+M caphit to win a cup. With exactly 10M. Somehow it just doesn't seem to convert to success to have these top stars with even these salary levels. Someone could make some conclusions, but.....let's not let the facts ruin the nice thought here.
What kind of logic is that? They haven’t won because their d and goaltending is mediocre af. Hockey is a team sport. Vegas were a complete team top to bottom.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Will be interesting to see if they utilize their picks/prospects to bring in NHL players and supplement their core. Don't really need all of Savoie/Kulich/Ostlund when you have Thompson and Cozens locked in for a while.
Except ……

if Savoie, Kulich slide their ELCs then they will be after year 6 when Thompson contract ends.

these players will be on cheap ELCs which manages cap space rather than be cap strapped like many other teams.

if they trade the younger players it would be picks or players just starting their ELCs When some trades occur in 2025-2027.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Great to get the max term. Just seems like a bummer when guys like Matthews and Marner are signing their contracts while seemingly already planning their escapes

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
much like Ottawa you are building contracts around a core that has had no success.

It’ll be interesting to see who is more successful over the next few years, Anaheim or Ottawa and Buffalo.

I believe that's a flawed thought process.

The opposite of what they are doing would eventually lead to those same 4 names making 45+ and now you have the same situation but 10 million more expensive

In 3 years, those deals are going to be team friendly and you are going to have a team that is top 3rd in the league.

No downside here other than 2 of the four completely flopping which I am not seeing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I believe that's a flawed thought process.

The opposite of what they are doing would eventually lead to those same 4 names making 45+ and now you have the same situation but 10 million more expensive

In 3 years, those deals are going to be team friendly and you are going to have a team that is top 3rd in the league.

No downside here other than 2 of the four completely flopping which I am not seeing.

I don’t think it’ll happen, just conceptually why people might not be sold on the deal.

To your points that only happens if the players break out. If they don’t you have the luxury of not paying them above their market. Doubt that happens with Dahlin. He’s been a stud for a few years now.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm trying to remember what i guesstimated beforehand, but i feel like this is pretty much bang on the expected contract. The only real question for me was whether he'd want to go max term like this, or try for one of the shorter deals to squeeze another megadeal in there in 4 years or so, as is somewhat in vogue these days.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
To the people that are saying that Makar is a bargain compared to this contract. You won’t be saying that when he signs his next contract. With this contract and the previous that Dahlin signed they will have signed him for a total of 11 years and an average just over 9.6 per year. Makar is at 9.5 for just six years of service. We will see what that average jumps to if he signs a 5 year contract when his current deal is up. I would bet much higher. Great deal by Adams. Sabres are going to be real good for a long time barring injuries to key players.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Yeah, this is a fair deal. I think the other two took slight discounts but dahlin is worth it here.
Except in 4 years Colorado's going to be looking at paying a 28 year old Makar 15M for 8 years into his 36 year old season.

Buffalo can decide to walk away from a 32 year old Dahlin if he's on the down swing or can get him at 9-10M if he's still a top pairing D.

What kind of logic is that? They haven’t won because their d and goaltending is mediocre af. Hockey is a team sport. Vegas were a complete team top to bottom.
Not to mention cap percentages are pretty different between McDavid (16.67%) and Eichel (13%)/Dahlin (13.33%).

For instance, in his 6th season of his 8 year deal, McDavid's contract is still 15% of the cap hit. Dahlin's contract doesn't kick in to next year when we expect another 2M increase in cap dropping his cap % to likely below 13 within the first year.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Still seems like the price you pay in free agency, not the price for a player who’s been on your team his entire career
Sanderson just got 8 years 8 million after his rookie year....what do you think top D-men who have 1 year of RFA are going to make? Makar is going to get way more after his contract is up.

• Wow
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I don’t think it’ll happen, just conceptually why people might not be sold on the deal.

To your points that only happens if the players break out. If they don’t you have the luxury of not paying them above their market. Doubt that happens with Dahlin. He’s been a stud for a few years now.

When you say break out, do you mean more than they already have??

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
To the people that are saying that Makar is a bargain compared to this contract. You won’t be saying that when he signs his next contract. With this contract and the previous that Dahlin signed they will have signed him for a total of 11 years and an average just over 9.6 per year. Makar is at 9.5 for just six years of service. We will see what that average jumps to if he signs a 5 year contract when his current deal is up. I would bet much higher. Great deal by Adams. Sabres are going to be real good for a long time barring injuries to key players.
Makar is way better, so he should be paid way more. The Avs also need Makar to be cheaper in their cup window while it didn't really matter how expensive Dahlin was the last 3 years. They didn't even spend to the cap, so who cares. Would have been better for the Sabres if they just signed Dahlin to a 8 year deal before and gave him 9M before the break out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad