Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] D Rasmus Dahlin signs extension with the Sabres (8 years, $11M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Would have been better for the Sabres if they just signed Dahlin to a 8 year deal before and gave him 9M before the break out.

Of course it would have been better to sign Dahlin to a 8 year deal instead of bridge him.

Problem is, when Dahlin's ELC expired and it was time for Dahlin to sign.......Buffalo was a raging shit storm. Dahlin (rightfully so) likely had ZERO interest in signing long-term with our garbage dump team until he saw signs of life.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I never said Buffalo and Ottawa’s approach was wrong.

I said it’ll be interesting to see in a few years who was right Anaheim or Buffalo / Ottawa.
I mean sometimes players won't sign for 8 years and force the management to go for a bridge deal. I'm sure the Sabres and Anaheim both wanted Zegras and Dahlin for 8 years but the players wouldn't take those deals just yet knowing they could make more once the bridge ended.

Reactions: Daz28 and bert

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean sometimes players won't sign for 8 years and force the management to go for a bridge deal. I'm sure the Sabres and Anaheim both wanted Zegras and Dahlin for 8 years but the players wouldn't take those deals just yet knowing they could make more once the bridge ended.

I think it’s been well reported that Anaheim did not want Zegras on an 8 year deal.

Either way, both approaches have their merit. Buffalo’s issue isn’t going to be Tage or Dahlin IMO if things go south.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Sanderson just got 8 years 8 million after his rookie year....what do you think top D-men who have 1 year of RFA are going to make? Makar is going to get way more after his contract is up.
Makar is also MUCH better than Dahlin is

Jage

Oct 29, 2022
One thing to remember comparing Dahlin to Makar is that the other contract was signed 2 years ago. Now everything else has been said already but I haven't seen any direct mentionings about what has taken place in these two years and what it has done to the value of the dollar.

These players negotiate their job salary and one of the key points when negotiating your salary these days is to refer magical word called "inflation". Sure it impacts the revenues blablabla but the players may not think it that way but refer to the inflation directly.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
The absolute floor for a Dahlin 8 year deal was 10million+1 dollar, a buck more than Eichel. A million more than what Eichel signed for 6 years earlier is absolutely sound. In the Sabres universe, Eichel is as appropriate (if not more) a contract comp as any defenseman being invoked.

In 3 years this will be viewed as a bargain contract. We are on the advent of 9 million dollars being the price tag for a veteran 1D, a top 30 defenseman. Dahlin is top-5, and even for those not quite sold on him, top-10. Chicago and Edmonton jumped the gun with Jones and Nurse by a couple years, but that's where we are with the cap going up finally.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Dahlin literally just had an arguably better season and is almost 2 years younger than Makar who is turning 25 this month....wtf is this emphasis on MUCH. People keep forgetting how young Dahlin started his career apparently. Dahlin is signing for the year after this which is the 24-32 age mark for the contract which is perfect for the Sabres.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Where?

DahlinvsMakar.jpg

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
What kind of logic is that? They haven’t won because their d and goaltending is mediocre af. Hockey is a team sport. Vegas were a complete team top to bottom.
Lol. Do you really not get the point? Really?

Why do you think their D and goaltending is medicore? Would it have something to do with too high salaries of their top players, leaving too little cap to construct the team?

That was my whole point. Hockey is a team sport and the thing that so many (like the on who I replied) says nowadays that top stars are underpayed is absolute comedy for me. The guy said tjat Mcdavid should get 20 M, while thay cannot build a winning team around him even with current caphit.

So yes, if the 14M cap for him was undepayment (like some are claiming), edmo ton should have won multiple cups already. But it isnt.

In my world, no player is worth of 14+ % of capceiling. In long contract, this could go above if in later yeara it will be below, but for example, in my world, e.g. Mcdavid's current contract could be considered ok, if it was made now. Maybe.

You all can disagree, but like I said, results seem to prove my view more cirrect up to now.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
The type of a contract you give to a generational defenseman? The best one in the entire NHL? Which Dahlin clearly is not.
So how exactly is he worth every penny?
It is insane to me that the people who watch this guy every single night (and their GM has a reputation for signing guys to great value contracts) are all good with this contract but people are telling us how to feel. But that’s HFB for you. Dahlin was easily our best player last year and the year before.

Yeah, it’s not a discount but it’s a fair deal and will be about 12% of the cap when it kicks in. It’s buying 7 of his UFA years.

And Dahlin could absolutely win a Norris for the entirety of the contract so idk about that.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Non top 5D in the league should not be making 11M

Makar, Fox, McAvoy, all are a lot under 11M and are better then him, but they signed under lower cap.

Dahlin ceiling is lower than Malar and Fox but probably better than McAvoy

He still needs to improve to be worth 11M

Dahlin also plays in a market many UFA's don't desire, so that means smaller market teams have to overpay a little. Also, if Makar's deal was up right now, he would get at least 10.5-12.5.

The type of a contract you give to a generational defenseman? The best one in the entire NHL? Which Dahlin clearly is not.
So how exactly is he worth every penny?

NJ is paying 9 mil for Hamilton and he is nowhere near as good as Dahlin.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Look it would be just easier if you admitted you don’t understand the cap calculation.
Ignored mouser, ignored the inflator in previous years

here’s a couple more
Cap is now based on the previous 2 seasons revenues,not 1, another factor.
And no it’s not divided by 64, the calculation gets you to the midpoint (100%)
Minimum cap is set at 85%
Maximum cap (83.5) is set to 115%. ( that’s why number was higher)

Plus include the other factors already mentioned in getting to the midpoint calculation, plus a few others, Sorry dude, give it up.

It's weird how you keep saying I ignored mouser when I responded to him... Numerous times in that thread. :laugh: Calculation is historically, startlingly accurate for you claiming it's not.

Also, thank you for trying to cite the cap calculation this year ($83.5M) considering the cap is artificially set low while the players continue to pay their COVID debt. The last accurate calculation was 2019-2020.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
This contract will more than likely work out for Buffalo, but it is a lot for a guy with one breakout season. I do think he will continue to play well though. If he continues on his trajectory, he will be solidly a top 5 D for the foreseeable future.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Neither a discount nor an overpayment. In comparison to Karlson and DD, who are the only Dmen at this $11 mill cap hit and higher, those 2 signed when they were around 28 or so when they signed. Dahlin would actually be younger than they are now when this deal expires. So, the AAV isn't being decreased to factor in decline in the mid 30's.

It's not a steal, unless he's a Norris caliber Dman.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad