Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Peter Mueller to PTO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Well if he isnt good enough for Kloten he must be a Bruin?:shakehead

He led the team, and finished 3rd in the league the year before that. Then again, he didn't do much to wow me in the SHL last season (a league in which Nick Johnson has fared much better the last couple of years), so I'm not holding out hopes he'll make the team. Little harm in offering him a look.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Mcquire was on TSN 690 today and he was asked about Meuller. He didn't want to say exactly what it was, said he preferred the player tell you himself, but it sounded like there is something more to his decline than concussions.

edit : Also said Versteeg was sent home because he was deemed to be out of shape. Mcquire thinks that is BS and that the team is just trying to get out of paying his contract.

If I recall correctly, he struggled with concussions which led him to lose passion for the game and at one point he was seriously considering leaving hockey for the church. Going into pastoral studies and leaving the game behind. To the point where he had conversations with NHL management types about it. I'm not going to bother googling but doing so might help you find the info you are looking for.

He's struggled with body mass control his entire pro career it sounds like.

Toward the end of his NHL career he played an extremely passive, skittish, cautious, scared brand of hockey, along with very, very slow feet.

If he's got his head right, he's not too old to contribute again. As long as he's dedicated himself to being an NHL player again, meaning his heart is in it all the way, he's no longer preoccupied with taking that next big hit, and he's committed to proper conditioning.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
Why couldn't they find a Peter Mueller-like defenseman and sign him instead?? :dunno:

that would be someone of the Nikita Nikitin type.... who'm if he was a righty I'd say go for a PTO for sure.

i think the mueller PTO allows them to possibly sign him to a 2 way deal and have a decent RW in the farm system.... and it'll hopefully spark something under jimmy hayes in camp.... hayes has to see this guy as his 3rd line RW competition.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
that would be someone of the Nikita Nikitin type.... who'm if he was a righty I'd say go for a PTO for sure.

i think the mueller PTO allows them to possibly sign him to a 2 way deal and have a decent RW in the farm system.... and it'll hopefully spark something under jimmy hayes in camp.... hayes has to see this guy as his 3rd line RW competition.

Well if his experience is any indication, it's the NHL or bust for Mueller, he wouldn't ride the buses back then when he didn't make the Blues. Maybe his tuned has changed but we'll see. I wouldn't count on him in Boston OR Providence.

We'll see, times have changed. Who knows what the expectations are from Sweeney.

http://archauthority.com/2014/10/07/peter-mueller-reportedly-leaving-st-louis-blues-organization/

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Honestly though, what "young guys" are actually competing for jobs this year? It'll be mostly Vatrano, Morrow and Chiller competing for more ice. Heinen and Carlo will both get a cup of coffee, maybe even a steak dinner, but truth is, they both need time in Providence. Next year they will be competing for spots and guys like Senyshyn, Zboril and Lauzon will be looking for their cup of coffee. I like the Meuller PTO. If he sticks he could fit in real well

Marchand/Bergeron/Backes
Vatrano/Krejci/Pastrnak
Beleskey/Spooner/Meuller
Nash/Moore/Hayes

You put Hayes and Mueller on the same team and even in Bettmans wussified NHL they would get pushed around. All they would need to do is add Alex Semin and Brownie troop #3 would scare them.

You add Backes and Belesky the past two years to add toughness with talent, resign K.Miller and McQuaid for the same reason and want to add Mueller to a line up with Jimmy Hayes? This reeks of no direction, while you need a balance of skill and grit Mueller and Hayes bring neither.

I am still hoping that Mueller is just here to fill a uniform during training camp while the world cup of shinny is going on.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
This made me smile today. I am going to find those highlights in about 20 seconds.

Just watched game 6 highlights. Thanks TP. I was having a pretty rotten day and that really changed things for me.

Satan's reaction and celebration from that goal was just priceless.

Hey, you're welcome! :)

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I get that. However it is sooooo frustrating to see the Bs seemingly standing around with their thumbs up their backsides on this issue. They go out & sign David Backes (who I like so put your pitchfork down), Dominic Moore and now this guy. I don't see the same level of effort w/r/t acquiring a solid #2 or #3 defenseman (forget trading for a real #1 to replace Chara eventually, IMO you have to draft one or sign a UFA they are that rare). I see a lot of "wait & see" regarding the defense. I don't think the Bruins have time to "wait & see", not if they are as serious about avoiding a third straight year out of the playoffs as they have said they are. They will go nowhere with the defensemen they have now- Chara is slowing down, McQuaid is slow & often injured, KMiller is tough but slow, Chiller is quick but inexperienced, Krug has speed but not much else. There's your top 4 as of right now. They don't exactly inspire visions of Stanley Cups do they?

The Bruins have had an entire summer to resolve this issue, we're now two weeks away from training camp and it is still unresolved. Where is the urgency? Inquiring minds want to know....

Do you honestly believe that if people on this board can see the issue that Sweeney and Co are not aware of it? Like him or not, the guy is not an idiot. The B's can want to add a Top 4 D all they want, but it takes two to Tango, so if there is not a willing partner, they are stuck with what they have for the time being.

That doesn't mean that the FO is unaware of the problem or has not been trying to solve it.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
You put Hayes and Mueller on the same team and even in Bettmans wussified NHL they would get pushed around. All they would need to do is add Alex Semin and Brownie troop #3 would scare them.

You add Backes and Belesky the past two years to add toughness with talent, resign K.Miller and McQuaid for the same reason and want to add Mueller to a line up with Jimmy Hayes? This reeks of no direction, while you need a balance of skill and grit Mueller and Hayes bring neither.

I am still hoping that Mueller is just here to fill a uniform during training camp while the world cup of shinny is going on.

The players suing the NHL for CTE were not wussies and I'm willing to bet they regret being toughies. NFL and NHL have no choice but to change. Stupid if they don't for the players safety.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
The players suing the NHL for CTE were not wussies and I'm willing to bet they regret being toughies. NFL and NHL have no choice but to change. Stupid if they don't for the players safety.

I had a post filled with vitriol as a response but I'll just leave this as we will agree to disagree completely on this.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Do you honestly believe that if people on this board can see the issue that Sweeney and Co are not aware of it? Like him or not, the guy is not an idiot. The B's can want to add a Top 4 D all they want, but it takes two to Tango, so if there is not a willing partner, they are stuck with what they have for the time being.

That doesn't mean that the FO is unaware of the problem or has not been trying to solve it.

Exactly right.

What it does mean is that that the FO is unwilling to bend over and pay a ridiculous sum ($ or assets) to acquire a dman that isn't going to make enough of a difference to justify the overpayment.

Sometimes it takes more guts NOT to make a deal than it does to make one.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Exactly right.

What it does mean is that that the FO is unwilling to bend over and pay a ridiculous sum ($ or assets) to acquire a dman that isn't going to make enough of a difference to justify the overpayment.

Sometimes it takes more guts NOT to make a deal than it does to make one.

For one thing it means that the return they got for Dougie Hamilton was not all that scintillating.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I just don't have much faith in management to get this thing done. I don't put any stock in what I see/hear in the media about what they're doing or trying to do. The FO has not given me the impression that there is just one person in charge who knows what he is doing and why he is doing it. Rather the impression is of three men (CJacobs, Neely & Sweeney)seemingly pulling in different directions while striving for the same goal. I also get the impression the Bruins want to trade for a #1 defenseman provided it doesn't cost them too much in assets. Getting a #1 via trade is going to hurt either in players or draft picks or both going back, I don't see how it can be avoided except by not doing it which is what the Bruins have done so far.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I just don't have much faith in management to get this thing done. I don't put any stock in what I see/hear in the media about what they're doing or trying to do. The FO has not given me the impression that there is just one person in charge who knows what he is doing and why he is doing it. Rather the impression is of three men (CJacobs, Neely & Sweeney)seemingly pulling in different directions while striving for the same goal. I also get the impression the Bruins want to trade for a #1 defenseman provided it doesn't cost them too much in assets. Getting a #1 via trade is going to hurt either in players or draft picks or both going back, I don't see how it can be avoided except by not doing it which is what the Bruins have done so far.

So, basically you are saying you don't like this management group and have pretty much made up your mind about them, regardless of what anybody else says? You say "they have given you the impression", or "you get the impression" a couple of times in a short span. That means you are speculating, which is fine, but there really sin't anything of substance behind it.

I, on the other hand, get the impression that this FO would like to trade for a top pair D, but are not going to do it from a position of weakness, particularly when they feel that they have players within the system that are not far from filling the need. They may be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

So, we are both speculating.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

i been watching the Bruins management, the NHL, and other local teams and leagues since 1967 and consider myself an expert on this **** and overall the Bruins are in very good hands

I'm a big picture person and don't get caught up and obsess with all the minuscule stuff that is the life blood of this board.

All I know is

Center prospects

JFK
Donato
Acciari
Czarnik
Frederic

Winger prospects

Heinen
Vatrano
Pastrnak
Sensyshyn
DeBrusk
Bjork
Gabrielle
Cehlarik

D

Lauzon
Carlo
OGara
Grzelcyk
Zboril
Lindgren
Arnesson
C Miller
McAvoy

Several top 6's here as forwards and top 4 D

That's why I have confidence in this group

Btw the cost of a potential yes potential top pairing D according to Elliott Freidman is an elite forward

Hence Hall for Larsson

He also said when Chia offered RNH for Matt Dumba the Wild wanted more

Are u kidding me

Better to draft and develop - if we had Seguin still we might have been able to get Larsson - who is good. Yes good not great and only last year was a healthy scratch

Last edited:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I think your line of thought seems logical but it doesn't absolve Sweeney of any blame or criticism. Fact is he dealt Hamilton when he didn't have to and thus started the ball rolling towards the dumpster fire that is now our defense. Equipped with draft picks galore from the Hamilton and Lucic deal, he built for down the road, all the while letting a rapidly aging Chara, who could use far fewer minutes to be more effective, be the anchor of this defense at age 38.

Also, while it's easy to say you think he's trying because how could he view this roster and not be trying, the moves and lack of moves does paint a different picture. They needed D coming into last summer and he dealt his best, young D. He re-signed McQuaid and Miller to deals when both are basically the 3rd pair RHD, essentially putting himself on the hook to make one of them the 2nd pair RHD. He signed Backes to a big deal, devoting more money to the forward group and thus leaving less for a weak backend. And lastly, he hasn't closed a single deal for a dman of quality.

So while it's logical to assume he knows his defense sucks, I think it's also fair to wonder if he views them as negatively as we all do, and it's fair to wonder whether he has what it takes to do this job if he's continually unable to address this issue.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
GD let me be clear...I'm not arguing Sweeney should be fired. And I'm not arguing that it would be easy to acquire the D he needs. I like Sweeney and I think he's a smart guy. But the performance to date hasn't been good enough, and he helped create this problem when he took a stand on Hamilton. It was a major miscalculation that helped sink last year's team and threatens to sink this one.

Whether fair or not, it's a performance-based business and he's got a hole in his boat that he helped pop and he hasn't done a thing to plug it. I think that's a fair assessment.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
GD let me be clear...I'm not arguing Sweeney should be fired. And I'm not arguing that it would be easy to acquire the D he needs. I like Sweeney and I think he's a smart guy. But the performance to date hasn't been good enough, and he helped create this problem when he took a stand on Hamilton. It was a major miscalculation that helped sink last year's team and threatens to sink this one.

Whether fair or not, it's a performance-based business and he's got a hole in his boat that he helped pop and he hasn't done a thing to plug it. I think that's a fair assessment. The future might look brighter (might), but he gave up on the present to get that.

Wasn't it really Hamilton who made the stand and no longer wanted to play in Boston?

Sweeney wanted him, made offers, and if reports are believed didn't even get the courtesy of a reply or counter offer.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Whether fair or not, it's a performance-based business and he's got a hole in his boat that he helped pop and he hasn't done a thing to plug it. I think that's a fair assessment.

I'm not as high on Hamilton as most here (and wasn't before he was dealt). I think his trade (and not bringing back a roster replacement) has put the team in a tough spot in the short term. Not because Hamilton is a stud, just because of the types of assets they got in return.

If I had to guess, I would say that the B's didn't count on Sides play going off the cliff so quickly. They also may have overestimated the abilities of some of the internal candidates they had? There is no doubt in my mind that the FO has been trying to get a more immediate replacement for Hamilton, but have been unable, or unwilling, to seal the deal. I think he will only go so far in this pursuit and once the price gets to a certain point, he would rather suck it up then get molested.

Whether or not this approach is prudent will not be known for some time.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I'm not as high on Hamilton as most here (and wasn't before he was dealt). I think his trade (and not bringing back a roster replacement) has put the team in a tough spot in the short term. Not because Hamilton is a stud, just because of the types of assets they got in return.

If I had to guess, I would say that the B's didn't count on Sides play going off the cliff so quickly. They also may have overestimated the abilities of some of the internal candidates they had? There is no doubt in my mind that the FO has been trying to get a more immediate replacement for Hamilton, but have been unable, or unwilling, to seal the deal. I think he will only go so far in this pursuit and once the price gets to a certain point, he would rather suck it up then get molested.

If somebody like me, who has no idea what he's talking about, can see that Seids was done and they can't, then speaks even more to how **** they are at evaluating their D.

Anyways, getting off topic. Mueller will be a perfect replacement for Hayes if Hayes is out of the lineup. And by that I mean a soft American with 1 ~20 goal season over 6'.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
So, basically you are saying you don't like this management group and have pretty much made up your mind about them, regardless of what anybody else says? You say "they have given you the impression", or "you get the impression" a couple of times in a short span. That means you are speculating, which is fine, but there really sin't anything of substance behind it.

I, on the other hand, get the impression that this FO would like to trade for a top pair D, but are not going to do it from a position of weakness, particularly when they feel that they have players within the system that are not far from filling the need. They may be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

So, we are both speculating.

i been watching the Bruins management, the NHL, and other local teams and leagues since 1967 and consider myself an expert on this **** and overall the Bruins are in very good hands

I'm a big picture person and don't get caught up and obsess with all the minuscule stuff that is the life blood of this board.

All I know is

Center prospects

JFK
Donato
Acciari
Czarnik
Frederic

Winger prospects

Heinen
Vatrano
Pastrnak
Sensyshyn
DeBrusk
Bjork
Gabrielle
Cehlarik

D

Lauzon
Carlo
OGara
Grzelcyk
Zboril
Lindgren
Arnesson
C Miller
McAvoy

Several top 6's here as forwards and top 4 D

That's why I have confidence in this group

Btw the cost of a potential yes potential top pairing D according to Elliott Freidman is an elite forward

Hence Hall for Larsson

He also said when Chia offered RNH for Matt Dumba the Wild wanted more

Are u kidding me

Better to draft and develop - if we had Seguin still we might have been able to get Larsson - who is good. Yes good not great and only last year was a healthy scratch

I don't know any of the management team so how you can say I don't like them is beyond me. It is their performance thus far that hasn't given me much confidence in their competence.

With respect to the #1 dman issue, I get that they don't want to bargain from a position of weakness. No one does. But the situation is what it is and the other GMs know it just as well as Don Sweeney does. From what I have read here there really isn't a true can't miss #1 defenseman prospect in the Bruins organization nor is there an available UFA that could fill the role now. So he has to make a deal and yes the price will be painful. How is continuing to put it off going to make it less painful? For all we know injuries could decimate the D (hello #54) and then his trading position would be even weaker.

As for the prospects- big whoop. So many of them never live up to expectations or even make it to the NHL. A few may develop into nice NHL players but nothing to write to the HHOF about. Yeah it is always good to have more rather than fewer prospects but I'm not dumb enough to think all or even a few of these guys are going to rescue this franchise.

I know I sound like a cranky old lady. But dammit I am fed up with what I see as the seeming return to the old ways of Bruins ownership & management. Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you're wrong ;)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't know any of the management team so how you can say I don't like them is beyond me. It is their performance thus far that hasn't given me much confidence in their competence.

With respect to the #1 dman issue, I get that they don't want to bargain from a position of weakness. No one does. But the situation is what it is and the other GMs know it just as well as Don Sweeney does. From what I have read here there really isn't a true can't miss #1 defenseman prospect in the Bruins organization nor is there an available UFA that could fill the role now. So he has to make a deal and yes the price will be painful. How is continuing to put it off going to make it less painful? For all we know injuries could decimate the D (hello #54) and then his trading position would be even weaker.

As for the prospects- big whoop. So many of them never live up to expectations or even make it to the NHL. A few may develop into nice NHL players but nothing to write to the HHOF about. Yeah it is always good to have more rather than fewer prospects but I'm not dumb enough to think all or even a few of these guys are going to rescue this franchise.

I know I sound like a cranky old lady. But dammit I am fed up with what I see as the seeming return to the old ways of Bruins ownership & management. Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you're wrong ;)

I think it's perfectly acceptable to question some of Sweeney's moves and to question whether or not the team has a coherent plan, or if they are trying to serve 2 different masters. While some may not like any dissent and want to only give the front office straight A's for what might happen in 2022, I think your points have been fair and measured.

I've liked his drafts. I was in agreement with keeping Ericsson for the playoffs. And overall I think he's done a good job, but good lord I have no idea why some can't take the slightest criticism of the guy without losing their minds.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

I'm guessing the market could loosen up the closer we get to expansion draft time. Not huge pressure yet for teams to commit on who they want to protect, but there will come a time for some teams where they will want an asset rather than losing the player for nothing. That may not come until TDL or perhaps even early in the off-season, but will come.

I'm telling myself that Don is waiting it out so he can go on a Black Friday like spending spree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad