Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Elite Prospects released their prospect pool rankings and have the Bruins at 27th in the league. I don't have EP Rinkside so I can't read the full thing, but here's a blurb:

"Although the Bruins lack bona fide top-tier prospects, it's evident that a deliberate initiative is underway to assemble a cadre of players suitable for bottom-six roles, ready to step in seamlessly. These players possess the potential not only to make valuable contributions on the ice but also to alleviate the salary cap constraints that perennial contenders invariably grapple with."

If anyone here is subscribed to rinkside, I'd love to hear what they think about Lysell and Lohrei.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I never figured out why they never addressed their need as the center spot was getting older

Well it's not like they didn't try. they have drafted numerous centers in the top 2 rounds over the last 15 years.

the only clear miss scenarios were 2017 when they went for Vaakeninan when the board was screaming for Thomas, huge miss.

And of course 2015 when they took Senyshen, but in retrospect, should have taken Aho, which of course would have also been an off the board pick, but the guy would have been a perfect Bruin. Of course many suggest the C they liked there would have been Collin White, and sadly that wouldn't have solved any problems.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Elite Prospects released their prospect pool rankings and have the Bruins at 27th in the league. I don't have EP Rinkside so I can't read the full thing, but here's a blurb:

"Although the Bruins lack bona fide top-tier prospects, it's evident that a deliberate initiative is underway to assemble a cadre of players suitable for bottom-six roles, ready to step in seamlessly. These players possess the potential not only to make valuable contributions on the ice but also to alleviate the salary cap constraints that perennial contenders invariably grapple with."

If anyone here is subscribed to rinkside, I'd love to hear what they think about Lysell and

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Some strange prospect rankings of late
Hockey News doesn't have Merkulov in the top 10
Eliteprospects.com with Lauko before Merkulov and DiPietro before Bussi

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`m too lazy to do it but if I recall, the highest draft spot the B`s have had since , say the McAvoy year was 14, think they had the 19th/20th pick where they took Vaak the next year but wondering out loud what other teams who picked in relatively similar spots to the B`s success rate has been in this short window of time?

looking at things from the McAvoy draft at how many picks have actually seen NHL time going solely on memory with some just getting a cup of coffee and others significant NHL time

2016- CM, Frederic, Steen, Koppanen
2017- Vaak, Studnicka, Sway
2018- Lauko, sorry, can`t recall if anyone else from that draft?
2019- None yet, hoping for Beecher as bottom 6?
2020- None yet but Lohrei looking like he`s on track, Kuntar appears to be a nice pick too
2021- None yet but lots to like with Lysell, Harrison, Mast, Gallagher off top of my head
2022- None yet but Poitras looks intriguing, Brunet too
2023- None yet but can`t comment, I don`t know nearly enough about this summers crop

I have long hammered Sweeney for some past drafts but I don`t have a ton of issues, based on where the B`s were picking, since 2016 despite the many "None yet" years understanding it was always going to be unlikely, based on where they were picking, a kid was gonna crack the lineup super quickly

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kegs

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I`m too lazy to do it but if I recall, the highest draft spot the B`s have had since , say the McAvoy year was 14, think they had the 19th/20th pick where they took Vaak the next year but wondering out loud what other teams who picked in relatively similar spots to the B`s success rate has been in this short window of time?

looking at things from the McAvoy draft at how many picks have actually seen NHL time going solely on memory with some just getting a cup of coffee and others significant NHL time

2020- None yet but Lohrei looking like he`s on track, Kuntar appears to be a nice pick too
2021- None yet but lots to like with Lysell, Harrison, Mast, Gallagher off top of my head
2023- None yet but can`t comment, I don`t know nearly enough about this summers crop

I have long hammered Sweeney for some past drafts but I don`t have a ton of issues, based on where the B`s were picking, since 2016 despite the many "None yet" years understanding it was always going to be unlikely, based on where they were picking, a kid was gonna crack the lineup super quickly

Thoughts?
Generally, you need to get one full time roster player out of each draft, on average, to mitigate losing players to FA, injury and age. Now, the difficulty in accomplishing that is hugely influenced by the strength of the current team. Breaking a rookie onto the shit-ass Anaheim roster is far easier than doing so on the Bruins/Bolts/Vegases. The terrible teams also get higher picks that saps the degree of difficulty, and also tend to sell off useful players for additional draft picks, lest they run the risk of providing their fans with an entertaining product by mistake.

Regardless of the deck being stacked against successful teams, they still only need one hit per year to tread water - a challenge, but certainly doable.

Sweeney's had some dry spots, for sure. And having the big prize from 2017 be a goalie can be both good and bad. He/we need those long-ish term 4-5 year projects to start paying dividends. If Beecher, Lohrei, Lysell, Poitras and some of those defensemen start making a conga line to Boston, they'll have a lot of flexibility filling in the rest of the roster as needs arise. Sweeney will sign some punch drunk 40 year old to a long term, big money deal, naturally, but at least he'll have had the choice.

If those projects don't start stepping in, the 2017-2019 dry spell gets extended into a famine and the team is pretty much porked.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
9 is the highest score,here's a few non Bruins for comparison
1693415232489.png

1693415288850.png

1693415318633.png

1693415354990.png

False Start

May 8, 2018

Thoughts?
I think you'll have a tough time finding any team that has had zero impact NHLers for the draft years since 2018.

It's not that all first rounders hit. Or that it's a not yet. It's that not a single player has had any impact.

I'm almost positive most teams get lucky with some mid to late round player who's playing right now. I could be wrong but I'm confident.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
9 is the highest score,here's a few non Bruins for comparison

Would love to see poitras, Locmelis, merkelov and Brunets scouting cards from this site. Appreciate the reference points. Good choices.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think you'll have a tough time finding any team that has had zero impact NHLers for the draft years since 2018.

It's not that all first rounders hit. Or that it's a not yet. It's that not a single player has had any impact.

I'm almost positive most teams get lucky with some mid to late round player who's playing right now. I could be wrong but I'm confident.

St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Calgary, Winnipeg. Didn't check everyone but that's already more than zero.

Reactions: Kegs and PlayMakers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad