Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects \ Providence \ Atlanta

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonder Boy

Cam 'n' Cam
Mar 25, 2004
Ancaster, Ontario
My thoughts from Buffalo tourney

The biggest takeaway for me watching this tournament vs. what the Bruins did last year at the tournament was night and day. The system they ran was much different and I quite enjoyed what I saw. Much more pressure on the attack and a lot more skating focused. The system created more offense and for the most part didn't give New Jersey or Buffalo much of a chance to get into games until the 3rd period.

As for the players, here are my thoughts...

DeBrusk: Was not a fan of him at all last year. I thought he was drowning in 6 inches of water. This year he played with more confidence and he had a good showing. I like that he goes into the traffic areas and the new system certainly helped given the type of player he is. There is potential here.

Cave: He was ok, solid AHL guy and fringe player at the NHL level.

Heinen: I thought he played ok, but my expectations were much higher for him. I liked that he played the point on the PP tonight vs. Buffalo, but he clearly didn't look too comfortable in that spot. You can see the IQ at work though and with a year or 2 in the AHL will do wonders for him.

Blidh: I love this guy. He just doesn't stop motoring and his shot isn't half bad. If there wasn't a numbers game I would pick this guy to be the 4th line LW in Boston this season. Especially if the Bruins play this newer system.

Kuraly: See above. He is everything you would want in a 4th line Center in todays NHL. He would be my darkhorse pick to win that job. If they didn't sign Moore I think the job would be his.

Hickman: He made some nice hits but he really lumbers along when he skates.

Gabrielle: I like this guy, but I still take Blidh and what he brings to the table over Jesse. He really ticked a few players off in the New Jersey game but they wouldn't do anything about it so he kept chirping them all game long. Against Buffalo he was good too and scored a decent goal off a nice feed. He doesn't have Blidh's skating but is entertaining to watch if you pay close enough attention.

Cehlarik: I've seen this guy play a few times in International play, including a few times last year at the WJC. He wasn't the oldest prospect out there but he did play like a man vs. boys. You can see the experience in his game developing in Europe. I remember hearing comparisons to David Krejci after he was drafted and the last 2 days was the first time I saw it. The previous viewings I didn't see it but now I see how cerebral Cehlarik is and it is very Krejci like. He doesn't appear to be a real threat and then he scores or makes a play for an easy assist. I am very interested to see what he does at training camp. He will be a guy to keep an eye on in Providence this year.

Hargrove: He was credited for a goal in the New Jersey game but I am 99.99% sure that Cehlarik was the one who actually scored. I was sitting next to a scout and he asked me who I thought scored as he didn't agree with the announcer either. Decent enough 3rd line AHL player, anything more would be a surprise.

Nacelrio: Didn't show me anything to merit remaining with the organization.

Rymsha: I thought he showed some promise. I like his game and I think he's worth keeping tabs on.

Stransky: I talked to this kid at the New Jersey game, he was sitting with Arnesson. Very polite and great with kids. Seems very positive and genuine and tonight against the Sabres he showed some skills. I am not sure if it was enough to warrant anything, but I was somewhat impressed with what he did.

Atkinson: I thought he had a decent tournament and didn't look out of place on the blueline as the 6th man.

Carlo: 2015 will be a very good draft for the Bruins and he is one of the reasons why. Lot's of promise with this kid and will benefit by getting decent minutes in Providence.

Zboril: He's not developing at the pace of Carlo, but he is still clearly developing as a player. He had a good tournament and moved the puck well. He also made some nice passes and played physical when he needed too. Patience with this guy, the tools are present.

O'Gara: I like this guy and think he could be a less physical but a better skating version of McQuaid in the future. He could be a 4th Defenseman possibly, but a #5 or a #6 are in the cards.

Lauzon: Another 2015 guy that I really like. He too seems to be developing faster than Zboril, but not at the pace of Carlo either. He should be a guy to compete for a spot in the future.

Webster: Pretty good size and will mix it up with the Forwards. I don't think his game gave him enough merit to continue on though.

Grzelcyk: I thought he played ok in the New Jersey game. I was expecting more like I was with Heinen, but overall he worked the new system very well and will benefit by developing his game in the AHL. I like his wheels!

Commisso: I like his jam, but I think he is behind in his conditioning to the other prospects. As the game went on he was behind in the play getting back.

Mistele: I like his size and I think he skates better than Hickman and Hargrove. I don't understand why LA didn't sign him as a depth prospect which leaves me wondering what the B's think of him?

White: Didn't do much when he played or showed enough promise vs. the other invites.

Arnesson: I had a nice long chat with him. He made a comment to me in the lobby as we got into the elevator and he followed me over to my seats. Nice kid and I made a comment that he looked "bigger" than last year, and when I said that his eyes lit up. He is clearly stronger and has matured from last year. Very friendly guy and is really hoping to make the most of his opportunity to play as a Bruin one day. As for the injury, there was nothing noticeable to the eye. Could be a bad bruise or something like that. Knowing his style of play from watching him last year he too would excel in this higher octane skating system.

McIntyre: He didn't have much work to do for most of the game but when he needed to make key saves he didn't. His SV% wasn't very good and to me he didn't look like he developed that much from what I saw of him last year at the tournament. I thought he showed more promise last year actually.

Darth Vlader: Still quite a raw goalie, but how can you not love his size. When he moves laterally across the crease his pads are wide open. That is something he will have to work on over the next few years in College. I thought he looked better than last year, but late in the game against Buffalo he started to collapse a little. He took a puck off the cage and then after that is when the slide in his game showed.

Overall I was quite impressed. The Defense for the future is a definite strength on the depth chart. Lot's of pieces competing for jobs in the future. It will be fun to watch and see which of these guys get the open jobs in the end. It should be a fun year if you are a Providence Bruins fan. The D is young but entertaining to watch.

Top 5 guys who should be the biggest threats right now to win a job....

1. Carlo
2. Kuraly
3. Blidh
4. Cehlarik
5. O'Gara

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The biggest takeaway for me watching this tournament vs. what the Bruins did last year at the tournament was night and day. The system they ran was much different and I quite enjoyed what I saw. Much more pressure on the attack and a lot more skating focused. The system created more offense and for the most part didn't give New Jersey or Buffalo much of a chance to get into games until the 3rd period.

DeBrusk: Was not a fan of him at all last year. I thought he was drowning in 6 inches of water. This year he played with more confidence and he had a good showing. I like that he goes into the traffic areas and the new system certainly helped given the type of player he is. There is potential here.

Heinen: I thought he played ok, but my expectations were much higher for him. I liked that he played the point on the PP tonight vs. Buffalo, but he clearly didn't look too comfortable in that spot. You can see the IQ at work though and with a year or 2 in the AHL will do wonders for him.

Blidh: I love this guy. He just doesn't stop motoring and his shot isn't half bad. If there wasn't a numbers game I would pick this guy to be the 4th line LW in Boston this season. Especially if the Bruins play this newer system.

Kuraly: See above. He is everything you would want in a 4th line Center in todays NHL. He would be my darkhorse pick to win that job. If they didn't sign Moore I think the job would be his.

Gabrielle: I like this guy, but I still take Blidh and what he brings to the table over Jesse. He really ticked a few players off in the New Jersey game but they wouldn't do anything about it so he kept chirping them all game long. Against Buffalo he was good too and scored a decent goal off a nice feed. He doesn't have Blidh's skating but is entertaining to watch if you pay close enough attention.

Cehlarik: I've seen this guy play a few times in International play, including a few times last year at the WJC. He wasn't the oldest prospect out there but he did play like a man vs. boys. You can see the experience in his game developing in Europe. I remember hearing comparisons to David Krejci after he was drafted and the last 2 days was the first time I saw it. The previous viewings I didn't see it but now I see how cerebral Cehlarik is and it is very Krejci like. He doesn't appear to be a real threat and then he scores or makes a play for an easy assist. I am very interested to see what he does at training camp. He will be a guy to keep an eye on in Providence this year.

Hargrove: He was credited for a goal in the New Jersey game but I am 99.99% sure that Cehlarik was the one who actually scored. I was sitting next to a scout and he asked me who I thought scored as he didn't agree with the announcer either. Decent enough 3rd line AHL player, anything more would be a surprise.

Rymsha: I thought he showed some promise. I like his game and I think he's worth keeping tabs on.

Stransky: I talked to this kid at the New Jersey game, he was sitting with Arnesson. Very polite and great with kids. Seems very positive and genuine and tonight against the Sabres he showed some skills. I am not sure if it was enough to warrant anything, but I was somewhat impressed with what he did.

Atkinson: I thought he had a decent tournament and didn't look out of place on the blueline as the 6th man.

Carlo: 2015 will be a very good draft for the Bruins and he is one of the reasons why. Lot's of promise with this kid and will benefit by getting decent minutes in Providence.

Zboril: He's not developing at the pace of Carlo, but he is still clearly developing as a player. He had a good tournament and moved the puck well. He also made some nice passes and played physical when he needed too. Patience with this guy, the tools are present.

O'Gara: I like this guy and think he could be a less physical but a better skating version of McQuaid in the future. He could be a 4th Defenseman possibly, but a #5 or a #6 are in the cards.

Lauzon: Another 2015 guy that I really like. He too seems to be developing faster than Zboril, but not at the pace of Carlo either. He should be a guy to compete for a spot in the future.

Webster: Pretty good size and will mix it up with the Forwards. I don't think his game gave him enough merit to continue on though.

Grzelcyk: I thought he played ok in the New Jersey game. I was expecting more like I was with Heinen, but overall he worked the new system very well and will benefit by developing his game in the AHL. I like his wheels!

Commisso: I like his jam, but I think he is behind in his conditioning to the other prospects. As the game went on he was behind in the play getting back.

Mistele: I like his size and I think he skates better than Hickman and Hargrove. I don't understand why LA didn't sign him as a depth prospect which leaves me wondering what the B's think of him?

White: Didn't do much when he played or showed enough promise vs. the other invites.

Arnesson: I had a nice long chat with him. He made a comment to me in the lobby as we got into the elevator and he followed me over to my seats. Nice kid and I made a comment that he looked "bigger" than last year, and when I said that his eyes lit up. He is clearly stronger and has matured from last year. Very friendly guy and is really hoping to make the most of his opportunity to play as a Bruin one day. As for the injury, there was nothing noticeable to the eye. Could be a bad bruise or something like that. Knowing his style of play from watching him last year he too would excel in this higher octane skating system.

McIntyre: He didn't have much work to do for most of the game but when he needed to make key saves he didn't. His SV% wasn't very good and to me he didn't look like he developed that much from what I saw of him last year at the tournament. I thought he showed more promise last year actually.

Darth Vlader: Still quite a raw goalie, but how can you not love his size. When he moves laterally across the crease his pads are wide open. That is something he will have to work on over the next few years in College. I thought he looked better than last year, but late in the game against Buffalo he started to collapse a little. He took a puck off the cage and then after that is when the slide in his game showed.

Overall I was quite impressed. The Defense for the future is a definite strength on the depth chart. Lot's of pieces competing for jobs in the future. It will be fun to watch and see which of these guys get the open jobs in the end. It should be a fun year if you are a Providence Bruins fan. The D is young but entertaining to watch.

1. Carlo
2. Kuraly
3. Blidh
4. Cehlarik
5. O'Gara

Great stuff, especially as I`m seeing little from the "beat reporters" on the camp, thank you

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
BUFFALO — It’s late September and Domenic Commisso really should be back at school. The youngest of all the Bruins participating in the three-team rookie tournament that wrapped up here Monday night, the 18-year-old center is still a high school senior in Oshawa, Ontario, and isn’t slated to finish his classes at Maxwell Heights Secondary School until January.

But right now, and until further notice, Commisso is officially playing hooky in order to play hockey with the Bruins. It wouldn’t be much different than coach Claude Julien & Co. spotting a kid at, say, Catholic Memorial or Arlington High, and saying, “Hey, want to cut classes a few days and take a shot at the big time?’’

Commisso, who grew up in Oakville, just south of Toronto, didn’t have to think long and hard about the offer.

“Exciting for me, a good opportunity,’’ he said. “I’m just here to soak it all in, put my best foot forward, and see what happens.’’

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...sses-bruins/UrAtoEsxKlhLHSsY3JXWxI/story.html

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Matt Grzelcyk, healthy and happy, gives the Bruins a shot

BUFFALO — For Matt Grzelcyk, the summer of 2016 was very different, and far more enjoyable than the previous two.

The Charlestown native, one of the several Bruins’ defense prospects in the rookie tournament here, spent the previous two summers rehabbing from major surgeries — on his shoulder in 2014 and his knee in 2015.

“Not having to go through that whole process again, it gets kind of tiring after a while,†said Grzelcyk. “It was good to be able to take a few weeks off after the season to unwind and then all summer I had (B’s training) camp on my mind. It was nice just to be able to get into the weight room and be healthy a whole summer.â€

The former Boston University standout was happy, too, to get his first game in an NHL jersey out of the way on Sunday.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...cyk_healthy_and_happy_gives_the_bruins_a_shot

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

1. Carlo
2. Kuraly
3. Blidh
4. Cehlarik
5. O'Gara

Thanks for sharing this. Always appreciated.

Amazing to me how far McIntyre has fallen. Didn't have a great year in the AHL, but still I'd expect him to dominate a rookie-tourny like this.

He's gone from a top-end NCAA guy who some feared might get UFA poached ala Vesey a year ago coming out of North Dakota, to a guy who might be fighting Vlader at camp for the back-up job in Providence. There is a real chance he could end up in the ECHL this year if Vlader is better.

Goes to show how development curves can differ so much from player to player.

Wonder Boy

Cam 'n' Cam
Mar 25, 2004
Ancaster, Ontario
Thanks for sharing this. Always appreciated.

Amazing to me how far McIntyre has fallen. Didn't have a great year in the AHL, but still I'd expect him to dominate a rookie-tourny like this.

He's gone from a top-end NCAA guy who some feared might get UFA poached ala Vesey a year ago coming out of North Dakota, to a guy who might be fighting Vlader at camp for the back-up job in Providence. There is a real chance he could end up in the ECHL this year if Vlader is better.

Goes to show how development curves can differ so much from player to player.

Yes, you are right as I completely forgot the Bruins signed Darth and he's not going to College. Right now McIntyre is still in front of him on the depth chart but for how much longer is the real question.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Good stuff Shane.

Love your OGara comp - how I see it as well.

Agree on Zboril. He's probably most naturally skilled guy going by DC. You watch him and you see do many tools.

I liked Blidh in Providence and just paid them this morning for my mini package

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Thanks Wonder Boy! Good stuff.

I have Cehlarik and Blidh as my dark horses at camp so I'm not surprised they stood out. I wonder about Cehlarik's top end upside, I see him as a 2nd liner but I know Kirk pegs him as a 3rd line talent... Would be interesting to see what he could do with Krejci.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

Good to see he gets some ice time to shake off the rust before camp. Extremely unlikely he makes the team but it'll be good for him to hopefully stay there for a couple round of cuts. Would be great for his confidence. Pretty unlucky summer for him, but he had a terrific year and is definitely on the right track.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

Good to see he gets some ice time to shake off the rust before camp. Extremely unlikely he makes the team but it'll be good for him to hopefully stay there for a couple round of cuts. Would be great for his confidence. Pretty unlucky summer for him, but he had a terrific year and is definitely on the right track.

Definitely good news for him. Competing against NHL level competition even in practice/camp can only make him a better player for it.

Little doubt he goes back for another year, but this is a positive for sure.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I had no idea Cehlarik could play center. I thought he was a right winger/left hand shot.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

1. Carlo
2. Kuraly
3. Blidh
4. Cehlarik
5. O'Gara

That was so good I read it twice!

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Koko update - only 3 games played KHL. It appears he's sitting. Perhaps my expectations and hopes were to high for Koko. My turn to eat crow.:laugh: Oh well hope he can turn his career around. That's it for me and Koko updates. Time to move on.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
I was always rooting for him. I wanted the Bruins to finally get a good young Russian player and maybe develop a better pipeline to that country's prospects. But even when he was playing important minutes in the World Juniors there was nothing about him that said he would be a top-6 NHL forward. His later career did nothing to change the scenario. He was skilled and feisty but lacked either that extra step or that extra bit of hockey IQ to set him apart.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Koko update - only 3 games played KHL. It appears he's sitting. Perhaps my expectations and hopes were to high for Koko. My turn to eat crow.:laugh: Oh well hope he can turn his career around. That's it for me and Koko updates. Time to move on.

He needs to fire his agent. Why would he go to a powerhouse team in russia and play the same kind of minutes he had here. Should have gone to another team or country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad