Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion V - 3 warnings posted - Stay On Subject only!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I wonder what Dom thinks of this

I like it. They might give Keyser a game, maybe not. Think it would do him a world of good. Started off slow, recovered from a concussion and had the best second half of any goaltender in the O. Playoffs were a bit overwhelming for him I think. He tried to keep his team in it as long as he could, but alas, Niagara's offense was too much. Certainly won't see any playoff games with Zane and Binnington there. Even Vladar would probably see action before him if there were injuries.

Captain Jack, I think could help the team both on the PP and PK and in a defensive role while providing some offense. If it were up to me, I'd line him up next to Senyshyn on the third line. Try and get some chemistry going now between the two. I think the two can mesh together extremely well. Jack is no slouch when it comes to skating and he may not be able to keep up to Senyshyn's speed (few can) but he thinks the game so quickly and sees the ice so well, it could be a perfect match.

I'd have to check, but I don't think Keyser is eligible for the ECHL. So it's a learning experience. Both have to go back to Oshawa for next season unless they make the Big Club. With Oshawa's goaltending so deep now, Keyser could be trade bait and bring in a fair haul for the Gennies. Both are still eligible for the World Juniors, Studnicka for Canada and Keyser for the USA, but they are probably long shots. Stranger things have happened though and we know the politics. Studnicka is a Hockey Canada guy having represented Canada at the Under-17, Under-18 and Ivan Hlinka. But Keyser is not a USA Hockey guy. #Politics

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I like it. They might give Keyser a game, maybe not. Think it would do him a world of good. Started off slow, recovered from a concussion and had the best second half of any goaltender in the O. Playoffs were a bit overwhelming for him I think. He tried to keep his team in it as long as he could, but alas, Niagara's offense was too much. Certainly won't see any playoff games with Zane and Binnington there. Even Vladar would probably see action before him if there were injuries.

Captain Jack, I think could help the team both on the PP and PK and in a defensive role while providing some offense. If it were up to me, I'd line him up next to Senyshyn on the third line. Try and get some chemistry going now between the two. I think the two can mesh together extremely well. Jack is no slouch when it comes to skating and he may not be able to keep up to Senyshyn's speed (few can) but he thinks the game so quickly and sees the ice so well, it could be a perfect match.

I'd have to check, but I don't think Keyser is eligible for the ECHL. So it's a learning experience. Both have to go back to Oshawa for next season unless they make the Big Club. With Oshawa's goaltending so deep now, Keyser could be trade bait and bring in a fair haul for the Gennies. Both are still eligible for the World Juniors, Studnicka for Canada and Keyser for the USA, but they are probably long shots. Stranger things have happened though and we know the politics. Studnicka is a Hockey Canada guy having represented Canada at the Under-17, Under-18 and Ivan Hlinka. But Keyser is not a USA Hockey guy. #Politics

Great thoughts as usual. Thanks for it

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Oh and as far as ceilings go which center do we think has the highest
JFK
Frederic
Donato
Studnicka?

See my post above.

Is there anyone who has seen enough of these guys to accurately predict that?

Dom is all over Stud, but the other 3 were NCAA guys, so I’m not sure how familiar he is with them.

I don’t see Donato at C in the NHL.

From the little I have seen of the other three players, it appears that they can all play 200 foot hockey.

Frederic was always a defensive C until he got to Wisconsin, then he started scoring when he was given a more prominent role.

JFK can play on the PP, but I also saw him killing penalties for Team Sweden. I assume he did some of that at BU and in PRO as well.

Studnicka had 70+ points and several highlights have included short-handed goals, so he plays in all situations as well.

Hard to pick between them. I would guess a lot will depend on what roles the Bruins project them filling?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
See my post above.

Is there anyone who has seen enough of these guys to accurately predict that?

Dom is all over Stud, but the other 3 were NCAA guys, so I’m not sure how familiar he is with them.

I don’t see Donato at C in the NHL.

From the little I have seen of the other three players, it appears that they can all play 200 foot hockey.

Frederic was always a defensive C until he got to Wisconsin, then he started scoring when he was given a more prominent role.

JFK can play on the PP, but I also saw him killing penalties for Team Sweden. I assume he did some of that at BU and in PRO as well.

Studnicka had 70+ points and several highlights have included short-handed goals, so he plays in all situations as well.

Hard to pick between them. I would guess a lot will depend on what roles the Bruins project them filling?

I was going to respond to the OP but he/she stopped his/her question with "highest." Highest what?

I have certainly seen Studnicka the most (at least live) but I've seen enough of the other three that I think I can base on opinion. But as you know Joe, I like keeping that to myself. (most of the time).

Depending on what one wishes to rank, you can certainly make an argument for one to have "higher" upside then the other, and then the next category, that same player may be 4th in the group.

The only thing I can be sure of is that at least one of the 4 will have to become a winger full time. There just won't be enough room for all 4 of them at center. Even after Krejci and Bergeron are gone.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Oh and as far as ceilings go which center do we think has the highest
JFK
Frederic
Donato
Studnicka?

I think JFK has the lowest ceiling, but maybe the highest floor. I see him as a middle 6 center at the nhl level, ideally on line 3 capable of 40-50 points a year, and penalty killing. Similar to Riley Nash’s production this season. Capable of going up and down the lineup.

Frederic and studnicka are too different to compare ceilings. Frederic I think can be a 2nd line center who plays in the backes mold (so often compared to him). Physical, strong shot, intangibles.

Whereas studnicka has a lot of speed, a lot of defensive acumen, leadership. Not sure on the rest of his game although he seems to have good vision as well. Maybe he’s got that 1st or 2nd line center ceiling, too hard to project for me. I hope he can break the 100 point threshold next season in Oshawa. I think his last month or so he really kicked it up a notch this season. 35 goals and 65 assists are possible for him. To be honest I see leadership, defensive ability and playmaking my first instict is to compare him to Travis zajac. But maybe he’s a better skater? Both right shots, both about 6-1, 6-2. Id be ecstatic if he ends up being that high end #2 center.

Oh and donato ain’t a center, but he’ll have the most goals of the 4 when all is said and done. Only from the wing

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I was going to respond to the OP but he/she stopped his/her question with "highest." Highest what?

Well, veganbruin did write "Oh and as far as ceilings go which center do we think has the highest", so s/he did specify. ;)

They all appear to be good prospects by the sound of it, but it also appears that none are destined to become that #1 center that Boston's prospect pool lacks. Who knows how they will end up as NHL players, however.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Well, veganbruin did write "Oh and as far as ceilings go which center do we think has the highest", so s/he did specify. ;)

They all appear to be good prospects by the sound of it, but it also appears that none are destined to become that #1 center that Boston's prospect pool lacks. Who knows how they will end up as NHL players, however.

And again, to be fair I ask highest ceilings pertaining to what?

If you ask me, Studnicka will be the better all around player, but he won't come close to putting up Donato's numbers.

JFK will be the better all around player, but I don't think he'll be near the forechecking, puck possession and offensive player that Frederick will become.

Down a goal late trying to tie the game: Donato and Frederick. Up a goal trying to protect a lead late, JFK or Studnicka.

Donato and Frederick would get you back more in a trade, but Studnicka and JFK are the type of players coaches love.

All four possess different attributes that makes one better then the others at one certain thing. Hard to say which has "the highest ceiling" without talking specifics

But for the hell of it then - Donato

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I hate to say that this or that prospect is not the 1 C the B’s lack because the development process is so unpredictable. Who knew that a pair of unheralded 2nd round picks would end up being Boston’s 1/2 punch at center for a decade or so?

I don’t know much about Studnicka and didn’t see JFK this year in PRO, so I will leave them alone. Throw Donato out because he will be a wing, and that leaves T-Freddy.

To me, Frederic is the wild card of the bunch. I think (along with Donato), he could easily make a move to the wing because of his size and shot. I also think he also could be the one closest to an NHL job because of that frame. In the US program (much like Bjork), Frederic seemed to be pigeon-holed as a defensive guy behind some of the higher end C’s like Eichel and Keller. That was good in a way because it made him a better 3 zone player. At Wisconsin, he was given a bigger role and produced offensively as well.

Because of this, I could see him stepping in next year in a 4th line role and working his way up ala Marchand. I think Nugs has said this as well, but I would not be surprised at all if he took Schaller’s spot as the 4th line LW. If things go well for him (which I think they will), he could transition to the Top 6/9 in the seasons following.

Reactions: HustleB and Estlin

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA

I’m bad at writing, but not that bad. I just wanted to know which center prospect to expect the most out of and if we had the next #1 or #2 in the system already.

From what I saw from JFK at BU I thought he could come in and play 3rd line center on an NHL team this year. But now with all of the wing prospects knocking at the door, it seems our center prospects are going to have to stay in Providence at least one more season.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I’m bad at writing, but not that bad. I just wanted to know which center prospect to expect the most out of and if we had the next #1 or #2 in the system already.

From what I saw from JFK at BU I thought he could come in and play 3rd line center on an NHL team this year. But now with all of the wing prospects knocking at the door, it seems our center prospects are going to have to stay in Providence at least one more season.

It makes it hard to project the players, but I love that Boston has been drafting a lot of kids capable of playing C, even if they don’t end up there in the pros.

I think being a C is harder. There are more responsibilities defensively and it gives the player a better idea of how to use the entire ice. It also helps to have C/W’s with so many centers being tossed from key faceoffs.

IMO, it’s a lot easier to transition a C to W than the other way around.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I'm no expert, but Studnicka seems like the best playmaker of the three and Frederick seems like the best goal scorer, while JFK is perhaps the most well rounded. I don't think Donato is going to end up a center.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014

I'm not so sure - there's likely going to be an opening next year, when Riley Nash departs. You'd have to imagine that Forsbacka-Karlsson and Frederic will be given strong looks in pre-season.

Doesn’t stop anyone here...

Well that's half the fun.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not so sure - there's likely going to be an opening next year, when Riley Nash departs. You'd have to imagine that Forsbacka-Karlsson and Frederic will be given strong looks in pre-season.

I'd put it 50/50 Nash stays at this point. Maybe he will get more somewhere else and leave, but the Bruins value him and have shown no problem paying for key role players

But I do think TF, and JFK will be given long looks in Septembers. It is all about what is best for their development. I would be a bit disappointed if they chose to break TF in as a 4th line LW next season, rather than letting him play top 6 C in Prov

Reactions: Flannelman

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I'd put it 50/50 Nash stays at this point. Maybe he will get more somewhere else and leave, but the Bruins value him and have shown no problem paying for key role players

But I do think TF, and JFK will be given long looks in Septembers. It is all about what is best for their development. I would be a bit disappointed if they chose to break TF in as a 4th line LW next season, rather than letting him play top 6 C in Prov

Riley Nash will get around 5 million a year, and if the B's give him that, and his production returns to what it is normally for his career, Sweenius will be crucified on these boards.

Reactions: Estlin

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Doesn’t stop anyone here...
True but the majority of us aren`t paid to write columns

I sure don`t get paid to offer my opinions on anything but I do my best when jumping in on a thread about a kid or whatever to be open about having either seen or not seen him play.

Reactions: Thrive

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
True but the majority of us aren`t paid to write columns

I sure don`t get paid to offer my opinions on anything but I do my best when jumping in on a thread about a kid or whatever to be open about having either seen or not seen him play.

It was a joke.

But as long as you brought it up, who cares if you get paid or not? Just preface your post with the fact that you have never seen the player live or haven’t seen them at all and are just speculating. This would probably be better than making predictions about the future of a player based on stat watching and acting like you actually know what you are talking about (not you).

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It was a joke.

But as long as you brought it up, who cares if you get paid or not? Just preface your post with the fact that you have never seen the player live or haven’t seen them at all and are just speculating. This would probably be better than making predictions about the future of a player based on stat watching and acting like you actually know what you are talking about (not you).
I care, I`m greedy and I want money!!!!! As you stated, if he would say it`s just his opinion as a guy who hasn`t really seen this prospect/player play and go on from there but he`s speaking like he`s been riding the Greyhounds across Ontario with Dom (well, Dom takes limos) and is consistently in the ear of Studnicka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad