Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion IV - Mod warning 565

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Heinen is my biggest man crush since Sobotka :scared:

I probably watched him play 15-20 games at Denver (on TV), and saw most of the things he's doing now, so I am not really surprised by it. I am suprised by how quickly he has made the jump to NHL regular. As I have said all along, he appeared (to me) to be a guy that needed time to acclimate to whatever level he's at, masters it, then moves on to the next level. I had him pegged as a Bottom 6 guy this year and hoped he could eventually become a good 3rd liner, borderline Top 6.

According to the player himself, his playoff run last year in PRO gave him a ton of confidence, and sometimes that can be the difference. He already looks like a legit Top 6 player, and I hope he continues to move up from there.

Glad Sweeney didn't include him as a "throw in" in one of the hundreds of deals I saw proposed here :laugh:
I will vouch getting phone calls on the way home from work hearing you describe 'this vision and elite decision-making' on some play you watched Heinen make at Denver in a game at 11:00 at night on a station I didn't know existed

I also know you would go off on the several Heinen throw-ins in HF trades

You backed it up in the SIM league using a first round pick on him

My favorite rant of yours is still 'what the f*** is Chiarelli doing trading 16 & 33 for Reinhart' the night of the 2015 draft

That was a wild draft

I had Dom tell me watch Senyshyn and the Bruins

And Lou telling me all week how much he liked Jake DeBrusk

Crazy

Reactions: Selke37

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
i've been a heinen fan since watching him at denver, but his ascent has come a hell of a lot faster than
i expected. active stick, defensive awareness, net drive, skills, dogged pursuit of puck/good on the wall.
to me, he's the biggest surprise this season (along with khudobin being good).

Heinen is so good at the bolded--a keeper.

Spooner does not have those attributes--not a keeper.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Jersey Lou summed it up the best those ex-Devils that dominate the Bruins staffs are a teaching machine and those prospects have been assessed and given specific instructions with constant monitoring

It's pretty amazing the system and coaches/teachers they have assembled

All you have to do is watch Heinen and DeBrusk today from last December

Grzelcyk as well - he is the one who has impressed me

I watched him a good 3-5 times a year live at BU and in Providence and he's getting better by the day

If he was 3 inches taller he'd be a #1 defenseman I really believe that

I agree completely. Pleasantly surprised by Grzelcyk. Would much rather have him on the ice than Krug. I think he'll be a faster version of Krug. Let's get something for Krug before the rest of the NHL figures out that he is too slow for today's game.

Reactions: Bun cook

BruinsNetwork

I agree completely. Pleasantly surprised by Grzelcyk. Would much rather have him on the ice than Krug. I think he'll be a faster version of Krug. Let's get something for Krug before the rest of the NHL figures out that he is too slow for today's game.

Which Krug are you watching that is “slow?”

It can’t be the same one on the Boston Bruins, right?

BruinsNetwork

For those keeping score, Senyshyn added an ENG & an assist tonight against Hershey. Extended his goal-streak to three-games in the process, and puts him over .5-points per-game.

For those keeping score of other, non-measurables-- Senyshyn getting an empty-netter means he was on the ice in a crucial, defense-intensive time for his team. Leach trusts him in just about every facet of the game, and I can see why. He has been quite eye-opening in the second half of the games he's played so far.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
For those keeping score, Senyshyn added an ENG & an assist tonight against Hershey. Extended his goal-streak to three-games in the process, and puts him over .5-points per-game.

For those keeping score of other, non-measurables-- Senyshyn getting an empty-netter means he was on the ice in a crucial, defense-intensive time for his team. Leach trusts him in just about every facet of the game, and I can see why. He has been quite eye-opening in the second half of the games he's played so far.

Your in-game player insights are most welcome. Thank you.

The stats say Zboril's game has picked up. He's put up modest point totals in the past 7 games ( 5 to be exact ) and has kept a high plus/minus all season and leads all rookies in that catergory; not just dmen. Is there anything contextual to the stats that you see? Has his game improved?

BruinsNetwork

Your in-game player insights are most welcome. Thank you.

The stats say Zboril's game has picked up. He's put up modest point totals in the past 7 games ( 5 to be exact ) and has kept a high plus/minus all season and leads all rookies in that catergory; not just dmen. Is there anything contextual to the stats that you see? Has his game improved?

Yes. His game has actually improved quite a bit over that stretch of about 7-10 games you’ve mentioned— similar to Senyshyn. There is still much to be desired in terms of a cohesive game, but he’s looked much better. However, he’s still struggling to bring every aspect of his game each night, it’s quite easy to see when he’s being timid or hesitant.

Sometimes, he’s making some questionable-at-best decisions with the puck or when/where he plays the body. Some of these things aren’t what the Bruins or scouting staff want to see, I can tell you that much. But, he is aware of his shortcomings and it appears like the message has been received. The stats have been reflective of that, too. Some of the plays that he has been a part of simply cannot happen without him involved.

There was one play in-particular last weekend where he used some great gap-control, broke up the play, and activated himself into the play. This sequence was followed up by him moving the puck through a seam I couldn’t even see from the press-box. There were two attackers coming through the neautral zone while he was on his own blue line, once he found the seam, that puck got to Czarnik who was waiting for entry, who then passed it to ROG for a nice goal.

Zboril has been better, but like I said; the fans must realistically process the idea of him simply not making it. On the other hand, when he is on his game, it’s evidently clear why he was picked at 13th-overall as his skill-set is serious. Not many guys can play with that level of physicality and good defense while possessing great offensive tools to-boot. So yes, he has improved and is playing very well right now, I really hope he keeps it up. Zboril really needs to build off these performances.

Hope this helps answer your question! As always, feel free to shoot me a tweet (@)BruinsNetwork or tag me in a post/comment. I try getting back to as many people as I can.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I've been in a "Senyshyn free zone" for some time now because it seemed like a lot of fans had already made up their minds even before he stepped on the ice in Providence. And to some extent, this is still true.

But when you take the skill set, and add in coachable, willingness to learn, exemplary work ethic, desire and the sheer will to do whatever it takes to succeed...well then. A lot of players simply rely on the skills they have and don't attempt to put in the effort where they need to. This kid is not one of them.

All that existed in his first year of junior as well. People much smarter than me didn't buy it. And when you don't see a player enough, you don't see it. I bought it from day one. I tried selling it too.

Until I see something that tells me he won't make it, then I will continue to believe this kid will make it. There has been nothing to date to suggest he won't.

Even to me, he was always a project that was going to take a bit longer than those drafted around him. I get it. Some of us lack patience. As far as I am concerned, he's further ahead of where even I thought he'd be right now.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I've been in a "Senyshyn free zone" for some time now because it seemed like a lot of fans had already made up their minds even before he stepped on the ice in Providence. And to some extent, this is still true.

But when you take the skill set, and add in coachable, willingness to learn, exemplary work ethic, desire and the sheer will to do whatever it takes to succeed...well then. A lot of players simply rely on the skills they have and don't attempt to put in the effort where they need to. This kid is not one of them.

All that existed in his first year of junior as well. People much smarter than me didn't buy it. And when you don't see a player enough, you don't see it. I bought it from day one. I tried selling it too.

Until I see something that tells me he won't make it, then I will continue to believe this kid will make it. There has been nothing to date to suggest he won't.

Even to me, he was always a project that was going to take a bit longer than those drafted around him. I get it. Some of us lack patience. As far as I am concerned, he's further ahead of where even I thought he'd be right now.

Great post Dom, other than contributions from yourself and a handful of others who had actually seen him play with the Soo, I knew/know little about him. Comments below from the coach after he joined them late last season kind of backs up what your saying

"He's got speed, seems to have some courage on the wall, goes to the front of the net. Those are all good things. We'll continue to work with him on a few things. He seems to like to change the flow, he recognizes that maybe a little more slowly than we'd like, but he's 19 years old. That will come.
"He's very engaged, which is good, he wants to be coached, he wants to learn. He's only going to get better."

Senyshyn Learning to Adjust With Providence

Then a more recent contribution from Mark Divver who I was encouraged to follow which also offers some very encouraging comments, this time from Langenbrunner

“The great thing about him is his willingness to learn. He wasn’t used on the penalty kill in junior. Now he’s getting thrown into those opportunities. He’s buying into the fact that to play in the NHL, he’s going to have to penalty kill and know how to play in a bottom six role maybe to start and work your way up.
“That’s the mentality we’ve been pushing on him the last couple of years. Credit to him. He’s buying in and it’s starting to pay off,’’ he said.

Zach Senyshyn finding his way in first pro season

I have no idea if or how this will translate at the NHL level, but isn`t this the kind of thing we Bruin fans should be encouraged by? For me it is, hope he keeps it going

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
My gosh, looking at the Providence Bruins roster it is almost embarrassing how many D prospects there are down there.

Its also funny that a guy like Blidh cant crack the bottom two lines. Lots of youth right...

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I swear, every time I check the Providence scores, Czarnik is one of the three stars.

No. 1 last night with a goal and two helpers. Now up to 25 points in a season where he was called up and missed games.

Reactions: PlayMakers

BruinsNetwork

Agreed, Dom. This was actually a pick I was most excited about on draft day in 2015 as I’m a huge SSM fan, I honestly thought he would end up being a late, first-round (25th-30) pick because of the potential. I knew that he was extremely gifted, but many fans saw the TSN board and not the big picture. He’s had an “NHL” frame since the start, and he’s learning how to use it more & more each day.

Your last line, that he’s further along than even you thought is spot on too. I’ll be honest, I expected to see some flashes from him, but I did not expect to see the complete game he’s demonstrating right now.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

You think folks would learn watching guys like Marchand or recently Heinen break in

Heinen started in Boston last year looked timid was sent down and struggled to really well after the New Year. He then took off in April and went back with knowledge of what the NHL is about from preparation, pace, and strength along with confidence from the AHL.

DeBrusk had the AHL part and the schedule but not the NHL pace, strength- I'm sure being the son of a long time NHL player he had some understanding of what preparation is

Bjork had none of this and I'm reading his name as a throw in in the trade thread and questioning his skills

Anyone over 15 with that little patience is walking up to the plate facing life with at least one strike on you. If you want to have certain characteristics patience is near the top.

Senyshyn will play this entire AHL season as a 20 year old I think by the time he is 23 and hopefully it's in Boston he's going to be a heck of an NHL player

Reactions: TCB and Agent86

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
You think folks would learn watching guys like Marchand or recently Heinen break in

Heinen started in Boston last year looked timid was sent down and struggled to really well after the New Year. He then took off in April and went back with knowledge of what the NHL is about from preparation, pace, and strength along with confidence from the AHL.

DeBrusk had the AHL part and the schedule but not the NHL pace, strength- I'm sure being the son of a long time NHL player he had some understanding of what preparation is

Bjork had none of this and I'm reading his name as a throw in in the trade thread and questioning his skills

Anyone over 15 with that little patience is walking up to the plate facing life with at least one strike on you. If you want to have certain characteristics patience is near the top.

Senyshyn will play this entire AHL season as a 20 year old I think by the time he is 23 and hopefully it's in Boston he's going to be a heck of an NHL player

No he will get called up to the big club and become McAvoy 2.0 in the Playoffs

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Yes. His game has actually improved quite a bit over that stretch of about 7-10 games you’ve mentioned— similar to Senyshyn. There is still much to be desired in terms of a cohesive game, but he’s looked much better. However, he’s still struggling to bring every aspect of his game each night, it’s quite easy to see when he’s being timid or hesitant.

Sometimes, he’s making some questionable-at-best decisions with the puck or when/where he plays the body. Some of these things aren’t what the Bruins or scouting staff want to see, I can tell you that much. But, he is aware of his shortcomings and it appears like the message has been received. The stats have been reflective of that, too. Some of the plays that he has been a part of simply cannot happen without him involved.

There was one play in-particular last weekend where he used some great gap-control, broke up the play, and activated himself into the play. This sequence was followed up by him moving the puck through a seam I couldn’t even see from the press-box. There were two attackers coming through the neautral zone while he was on his own blue line, once he found the seam, that puck got to Czarnik who was waiting for entry, who then passed it to ROG for a nice goal.

Zboril has been better, but like I said; the fans must realistically process the idea of him simply not making it. On the other hand, when he is on his game, it’s evidently clear why he was picked at 13th-overall as his skill-set is serious. Not many guys can play with that level of physicality and good defense while possessing great offensive tools to-boot. So yes, he has improved and is playing very well right now, I really hope he keeps it up. Zboril really needs to build off these performances.

Hope this helps answer your question! As always, feel free to shoot me a tweet (@)BruinsNetwork or tag me in a post/comment. I try getting back to as many people as I can.

I appreciate the time you put into responding. Thank you! I'm eager to see Zboril continue to work on his game and it'll be interesting to see which fork in the road he takes with his development.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Which Krug are you watching that is “slow?”

It can’t be the same one on the Boston Bruins, right?
With the possible exception of Chara, every other Bruins D (including McQuaid) would beat Krug in a straight-line race. Just watch what happens when an opponent blocks his shot at the point. Krug can never catch the player that blocked his shot and headed down ice. He's quick laterally but painfully slow in a straight line. Reminds me of Wideman in that respect. Grzelyck is a much better option, IMO.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Some great commentary on Senyshen and Z; I’d be curious as to how Gabrielle is evolving (or not).

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Some great commentary on Senyshen and Z; I’d be curious as to how Gabrielle is evolving (or not).

I haven`t read a thing about him, even from those who are attending games. I`m hoping it`s a case of a kid just learning the pro game and him not being the Jared Knight of this crop of kids

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I haven`t read a thing about him, even from those who are attending games. I`m hoping it`s a case of a kid just learning the pro game and him not being the Jared Knight of this crop of kids

Knight’s biggest issue may have been that he was a Type 1 diabetic? He and the B’s thought he could overcome it, but I believe that it was the prime culprit in his inability to stay healthy and on the ice, which led to a lack of confidence from coaches. One could say that perhaps the B’s should have paid more attention to the condition prior to drafting Knight, which would be a valid argument.

Knight was a high 2nd and Gabrielle was a 4th, so the expectations should probably be a little different. I would give Gabrielle at least a year, maybe two, before writing him off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad