Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion IV - Mod warning 565

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I would say more probable than possible.

Good thought- I know we have a glut of prospects, but some won't work out more than likely, or take different amounts of time and development to get there, and so always better to have a nice selection at hand. I'd love to see Donato coming out in the Spring and competing for a spot in the summer.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Vaakanainen today 0+2 +2 21:00 min(most by SaiPa players).
Second assist was pretty nice @ 3:47

Kiitos for that video. Are you from Suomi? I went there once on a hockey trip, loved it, except for the blood sausage breakfast. We played in Helsinki and Tampere.

joujou

Jul 23, 2017
Kiitos for that video. Are you from Suomi? I went there once on a hockey trip, loved it, except for the blood sausage breakfast. We played in Helsinki and Tampere.
Yes I'm from finland. And I don't like either those blood sausages. Btw Vaakanainen has played most by SaiPa players 23:30 and he has been on ice only 2 even strength goals against and has total +6 on 11 games. He also plays on first pk unit. Hope you understand my english...

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Yes I'm from finland. And I don't like either those blood sausages. Btw Vaakanainen has played most by SaiPa players 23:30 and he has been on ice only 2 even strength goals against and has total +6 on 11 games. He also plays on first pk unit. Hope you understand my english...
Very good english, easy to understand. I have high hopes for him, he looks smooth and is full of confidence.

joujou

Jul 23, 2017
Very good english, easy to understand. I have high hopes for him, he looks smooth and is full of confidence.
Yes I have also high hopes for UV. Skating is good and so is defence, but I was hoping bit more offensive from him. But then also SaiPa has won most of their games because of their defence and great goalie.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Leach on Senyshyn from this weekend

“Zach Senyshyn was good. His last three to five games, he’s doing a lot of little things that we’ve been talking about and he’s looked good. We’ve worked with him, trying to find that inside ice and use that speed in the right way. He’s coming along.’’

https://rinksiderhodeisland.com/2017/11/05/a-lost-cause-at-the-dunk/amp/

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
so...
Senyshyn 2 points in 10 games
Lauzon 1 point in 10 games
Grzelcyk 1 point in 10 games
Gabrielle 0 points in 10 games
Zboril 0 points in 11 games

Heinen & Czarnik are well over a point per game & Cehlarik has 6 in 5. Only other forward prospect in the AHL doing much is JFK with 7 points in 11 games but that's not exactly setting the world on fire.

Yes I know...watch the games. But the Bruins supposedly super deep prospect pool (at least the portions making the AHL transition this year) is not looking super impressive offensively right now.

When should we start to worry?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
so...

Heinen & Czarnik are well over a point per game & Cehlarik has 6 in 5. Only other forward prospect in the AHL doing much is JFK with 7 points in 11 games but that's not exactly setting the world on fire.

Yes I know...watch the games. But the Bruins supposedly super deep prospect pool (at least the portions making the AHL transition this year) is not looking super impressive offensively right now.

Maybe after their first 10 games in professional hockey.

You mention Heinen, Czarnik and Chelarik - what do those guys have in common that Senyshyn, Lauzon, Grzelcyk, Gabrielle and Zboril dont?

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
so...

I came here to ask the same thing. Stats aside, are they at least playing well in the AHL? TOI?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Maybe after their first 10 games in professional hockey.

You mention Heinen, Czarnik and Chelarik - what do those guys have in common that Senyshyn, Lauzon, Grzelcyk, Gabrielle and Zboril dont?

What do Heinen, Czarnik, & Cehlarik have in common that the other guys don't? How bout that they actually produced in their first 10 pro games:
Heinen had points in his first 2 AHL games, none in the playoffs that year, but then 44 in 64 last season and broke out for 18 in 17 in the playoffs. After 10 games last season he had 11 points. So he had 13 points in his first 12 regular season pro games.
Czarnik had 9 points in his first 10 regular season AHL games.
Cehlarik had 10 points in his first 10 regular season AHL games.

And Grzelcyk is in his 2nd full season, he had 70 games last year. Senyshyn & Gabrielle had a few games last year too.

This is the prospects thread, right? I get the sense I'm not allowed to wonder when the Bruins top prospects remaining in the AHL might actually start to produce.

Yes I realize it's early in the season (and early in their pro careers) but it's not a great start for any of them.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
What do Heinen, Czarnik, & Cehlarik have in common that the other guys don't? How bout that they actually produced in their first 10 pro games:
Heinen had points in his first 2 AHL games, none in the playoffs that year, but then 44 in 64 last season and broke out for 18 in 17 in the playoffs. After 10 games last season he had 11 points. So he had 13 points in his first 12 regular season pro games.
Czarnik had 9 points in his first 10 regular season AHL games.
Cehlarik had 10 points in his first 10 regular season AHL games.

And Grzelcyk is in his 2nd full season, he had 70 games last year. Senyshyn & Gabrielle had a few games last year too.

This is the prospects thread, right? I get the sense I'm not allowed to wonder when the Bruins top prospects remaining in the AHL might actually start to produce.

Yes I realize it's early in the season (and early in their pro careers) but it's not a great start for any of them.
You can wonder what you like - and if that's questioning the depth of the prospect pool by highlighting three that have been successful, ignoring three that are producing in the NHL and focusing on the lack of offensive production from a couple defensmen and forwards in their first taste of professional professional hockey, then here you are doing just that.

loozer

Nov 2, 2007
Bay Area
so...

Worry? Probably never, I mean there's enough going on in life to worry about something I follow for entertainment /s.

But seriously, at what point do I start questioning whether these prospects have the ability to make an impact at the NHL level in a top 4 d, or top 9 forward role, probably about 2/3 of the way through the season. At that point you should be starting to get a feel for how they are adjusting to the pro life, whether they've been able to take to the lessons the coach is trying to teach them. Maybe earlier, if they are all still goose eggs at 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through.

Grzelcyk is going into his second year so it may be worth questioning whether he can work through a rough start production wise, to show that he can be a puck mover at this and the next level. If not, can he adapt and change his game to another role ala Kris Russel. Although Russel did all his adaptation and change in the NHL, so you could argue his skill level was already much higher.

I think it's perfectly ok to point out it hasn't been a great start for any of them, and none of them are performing like future future top six F, top 3 D. That doesn't mean at some point they won't find their comfort zone and start performing to that level. In this next ten game set, as a fan you are hoping to start hearing about improvements, and seeing some statistical production.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
You can wonder what you like - and if that's questioning the depth of the prospect pool by highlighting three that have been successful, ignoring three that are producing in the NHL and focusing on the lack of offensive production from a couple defensmen and forwards in their first taste of professional professional hockey, then here you are doing just that.
how am I ignoring the 3 that are producing in the NHL? I'm questioning the depth of our prospect pool beyond those 3. Senyshyn was top 3 in a lot of people's lists of the Bruins best prospects and has done very little early in his AHL career. I think I'm asking fair questions here. I don't know why you seem so defensive about the notion that some of our top prospects are not performing up to their billing.

This is the thread for discussing Bruins prospects, right? Should we only post in it when they're doing good?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
so...

Way too early to wonder or worry about rookies in their first year in a men's league after 10 games, especially the defenders.

Our super deep prospect pool has produced four rookies on the main roster who are playing well, with another one ready to make the jump but being setback by injuries ( Cehlarik ). Others will need time to marinate in the minors and let them find their groove, much like DeBrusk did last season. Anything else is just too much of an alarmist attitude.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
how am I ignoring the 3 that are producing in the NHL? I'm questioning the depth of our prospect pool beyond those 3. Senyshyn we top 3 in a lot of people's lists of the Bruins best prospects and has done very little early in his AHL career. I think I'm asking fair questions here. I don't know why you seem so defensive about the notion that some of our top prospects are not performing up to their billing.
You're ignoring them by not mentioning them when you criticize the depth of their prospects. I mean I guess you have a point by saying "other than McAvoy, Bjork, Debrusk, Carlo, Heinen, Chelarik, JFK, and Czarnik, they have prospects who aren't putting up points in their first professional games". Not so sure that's an indictment on their depth of young talent though.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
You're ignoring them by not mentioning them when you criticize the depth of their prospects. I mean I guess you have a point by saying "other than McAvoy, Bjork, Debrusk, Carlo, Heinen, Chelarik, JFK, and Czarnik, they have prospects who aren't putting up points in their first professional games". Not so sure that's an indictment on their depth of young talent though.
I didn't criticize the overall depth of their prospect pool. My post was specifically about the new crop of AHL guys who have been pretty quiet so far. This is exactly why discussing this stuff is so difficult. Some people are so quick to defend the Bruins FO that if you say anything critical about some of their draft picks then you have people putting words in your mouth & saying you called their prospect pool shallow.

Yes, the Bruins have drafted really well and yes I'm thrilled about the guys contributing in the NHL already. The B's are considered to have one of the deepest prospect pools in the league. Depth by its very definition implies you know...depth...like as in beyond their top 5-10 prospects. A lot of us were hoping and counting on this 2nd wave of prospects to come in to the AHL and tear it up like the first wave guys (the guys you listed) and so far it hasn't happened. It's a little concerning is all I'm saying.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
how am I ignoring the 3 that are producing in the NHL? I'm questioning the depth of our prospect pool beyond those 3. Senyshyn was top 3 in a lot of people's lists of the Bruins best prospects and has done very little early in his AHL career. I think I'm asking fair questions here. I don't know why you seem so defensive about the notion that some of our top prospects are not performing up to their billing.

This is the thread for discussing Bruins prospects, right? Should we only post in it when they're doing good?

I think with the Bruins prospects its always been about that between 3 and 15ish they are about the same. Aside from the hell of talking about the 2015 1st round, Senyshyn not doing well, or never doing well, isn't going to be the end of the world. I feel like out of the Bjork, DeBrusk, Senyshyn, Cehlarik, Heinen, etc pile of wingers there will be enough hits to fill out a top 9 with Marchand and Pastrnak. Where I am laser focused is on the C and LD prospects. Really hoping that one of the LD prospects becomes legit top 3 and one of the C prospects becomes legit top 6.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
so...

Not to throw more fuel on the fire, but I'd argue JFK's numbers were buoyed by his linemates as well.

That said, way too soon to worry. Even if all of the first year guys have fairly low scoring first pro seasons, I wouldn't be worried. If the trend continues into year 2, then you'll have cause to be concerned... and honestly even that is too soon for defensemen.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
:
do Heinen, Czarnik, & Cehlarik have in common that the other guys don't? How bout that they actually produced in their first 10 pro games

They also came in a lot older. Cehlarik had already played against men. I DO think Senyshyn's start is concerning, as was his season last year (mono aside) after the big breakout. The D not having points is a nothingburger in my book.

edit: If the Bruins can successfully add McAvoy, DeBrusk, Heinen and Bjork to the team this year, and JFK, Cehlarik and Zboril/Lauzon over the next 18 months, I would have taken that 10 out or 10 times a month ago.

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Not to throw more fuel on the fire, but I'd argue JFK's numbers were buoyed by his linemates as well.

That said, way too soon to worry. Even if all of the first year guys have fairly low scoring first pro seasons, I wouldn't be worried. If the trend continues into year 2, then you'll have cause to be concerned... and honestly even that is too soon for defensemen.
Agree with your timeline - disagree with arguing that JFK was bouyed by line mates (no one is doing the same to the rest’s success, no sense in doing it to JFK).

Could also throw another 2015 pick into the mix in Vladar who’s been real sharp in Providence.

Last edited:

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
This is the Bruins prospects thread, not the I wish they were Bruins prospects thread.
Where is it people are talking about other teams prospects or is it the old White, Barzal, Connor thing, then I agree sick of hearing about them. Anyways Vaakanainen is one of the better ones, pretty happy to see footage of him. Pumped DeBrusk and Heinen have graduated. Next up Cehlarik. Long term the centers we took Studnicka, Donato, JFK, (Fitzgerald if he is center, not sure) and the one I am excited about Frederic make us forget a few of those 3 others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad