Post-Game Talk: Bruins lose to Cats ( again) 4 - 3 )

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I'd like to see a clean sweep at this point before this continues. I just have bad feeling that these coaches, this "head coach" is not up to par.
I was pretty damn happy with the off season, thought thignorantly) blaming Montgomery but is
he being handcuffed by the boys upstairs? Was Cassidy kept under tight
orders to have them play a certain
at Monty could emulate the Dallas Stars coaching job he did there. I'm wondering though if he just continued what Ken Hitchcock started? Is it management ordering Monty to coach a certain way? Has he got free reign to do as he sees fit?

I mean, I'm blindly (somewhat ignorantly) blaming Montgomery but is he under
orders to play this certain style and not deviate from it?
Cassidy did somewhat the same but he had less "beef" on the bench to
throw at the other team, and as someone mentioned Backes asking for permission to play a more dump & chase style?
Cassidy's teams here looked more in control of their tempers to a certain degree, but once he left here, he
aaaaah
won the Stanley Cup.
So is it Montgomery being out of answers or is it management
making certain play-style demands?
I wonder if Monty is afraid to deviate from the
orders from above for job security because right now, he has
very little IMO.
Confused parents = confused children.
It's the same with any leadership job. If the boss
is confused (and Monty looks confused IMO) than his/her
workers will be confused.
Also, Brad is giving 100% which is Herculian after what his body has been through.
I know it's very early but, guys like Coyle, H. Lindholm, Carlo, and Geekie look too comfortable IMO.
I understand your frustration.

There are a few things to consider
In the 80s the Bruins finally beat the Canadiens by playing disciplined hockey in the playoffs ... the mantra then was 'don't take retaliatory penalties.' Who was on that team that is now in the front office?

In 2014 the Bruins lost to Montreal.

At the end during the handshake line Lucci and Weiss exchanged words to the point that the NHL had to speak to Lucci and Bruins management about the incident. From that point on, Lucci's aggressive play looked neutered when compared to his play previously. This makes me wonder (speculation) if Boston's management was instructed to 'control' their players or face heavy fines or worse? I wonder if that mandate is still in effect today to protect jacobs wallet.

When Claude Julien became coach of Boston he infused a team defensive structure into Boston's DNA and made it a part of Boston's culture and identify. That defensive structure sustained the team for over a decade and pretty much survived coaching changes partly because key team players made it a part of their overall game.
Question: How many of those players are still on the team today?

I made a post, I think last January, that the Bruins were slowly drifting away from that defensive team structure that had sustained them for so long. My theory at the time was Boston was trying to play a quick up tempo transition game that was causing players to neglect their defensive responsibilities for a quick break out.

I'm now thinking that assumption is only part of the problem. The other part of the problem is the turnover in personnel. Many of these current players know nothing about Claude Julien's system, it's discipline and commitment to a structured team defense. I think only Marchand is a direct remnant of that instruction.

Just my opinion after 4 games, but with the current defensmen on this team there is no reason to be giving up an average of almost 4 goals a game. I was hoping with a Bruins coach dedicated to the defensive group that things would tighten up this year. Obviously, there is still a disconnect somewhere in team structure.

Whether that is Montgomery's doing or a mandate from upper management to play an up tempo quick transition game (Sweeney has spoken of this desire), I don't know. I do know they need to figure things out and tighten up the defensive coverage.

This is more than just new players learning the current system (which will help to an extent) it's about someone realizing they don't have the horses to go toe to toe in a run and gun game. Someone has to adjust, but whom?

As far as the team being flat - very noticeable in exhibition games and to start the season - partly a coaching issue, and partly a result of so many new players trying to learn a new system and find their place and purpose on the team. Indecisiveness and a lack of confidence ( fear of making a misrake) has some players inadvertently being caught flat-footed watching the play. This should resolve itself with more games as players settle in and the coaches decide who stays on the roster and who is in the lineup nightly.

We can only hope.

Last edited:

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
The NHL really hit a home run only scheduling only 4 games between the Bruins/Panthers this year. The Panthers don't come back to Boston for 5 months.
Can't wait for the two matchups against the Ducks and Sharks at 10:30 on a weeknight. When are they adding the Arizona team back? Another two shit games against them will be a delight.

Reactions: BB79 and LouJersey

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I just think that this team plays slow and stupid. If we can't beat them without Barkov and Tkachuk, we just can't beat them and we won't beat them if we even make the playoffs and play them. We just won't. Matter of fact, from what we've seen so far there is no chance this team makes any kind of serious playoff run. They will be lucky to make the playoffs, period.

The second line is atrocious. Geekie is not a 2nd line talent but Coyle has not looked good and Marchand looks off as well. He's there but just not quite there. Hard to put a finger on it but his shot seems off and he's around the puck but a step off the pace. idk if he's over the hill or still not 100% but that line is a big nothing for the other team to worry about.

The reason a guy like Poitras stands out so much offensively is not because he is so incredibly fast or skilled but he is somewhat fast and skilled and the players around him are slow and lacking. Everything's relative.

The power play is complete rubbish.

The top line is okay and Lindholm is a good addition and the 4th line is an outstanding 4th line but this team looks more poised for a rapid fall rather than Stanley Cup contention. It's early, and many things can change, but at this moment it does not look good and they will need Swayman to earn every cent to have any chance at all.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The NHL really hit a home run only scheduling only 4 games between the Bruins/Panthers this year. The Panthers don't come back to Boston for 5 months.
Can't wait for the two matchups against the Ducks and Sharks at 10:30 on a weeknight. When are they adding the Arizona team back? Another two shit games against them will be a delight.
I don't want to see Florida ever again. Give me 5 winnable games against the Ducks.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'd say TODAY was a disappointment. Not so sure about the other 3 games.

We definitely haven't played our best hockey yet, but with the exception of today, we've won the games we were supposed to.
I haven’t been thrilled with the overall team performance in any of the games. They’re better than what they’ve shown. It’s been a self-inflicted woundfest for them out there.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
One of their wins was against one of the worse teams in the league.
The other was against a kind of equal team.
2 loses to the Cup Champs.

Puts them just about where most people think they would be. Middle of the road.
Good enough to make playoffs, not good enough to make a run.

I hope they can improve but the true test is in the POs.

Way too soon to be making any sort of declarative statements based on who's beaten who so far. Panthers haven't won against a non Bruins team, including a loss to Buffalo in their only win of the season. All three of the Bruins fourth liners are on pace for PPG seasons and are currently outscoring McDavid and Draisitil. Shit doesn't make sense this early in the year - we all gotta let the season play out a bit more.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I understand your frustration.

There are a few things to consider
In the 80s the Bruins finally beat the Canadiens by playing disciplined hockey in the playoffs ... the mantra then was 'don't take retaliatory penalties.' Who was on that team that is now in the front office?

In 2014 the Bruins lost to Montreal.

At the end during the handshake line Lucci and Weiss exchanged words to the point that the NHL had to speak to Lucci and Bruins management about the incident. From that point on, Lucci's aggressive play looked neutered when compared to his play previously. This makes me wonder (speculation) if Boston's management was instructed to 'control' their players or face heavy fines or worse? I wonder if that mandate is still in effect today to protect jacobs wallet.

When Claude Julien became coach of Boston he infused a team defensive structure into Boston's DNA and made it a part of Boston's culture and identify. That defensive structure sustained the team for over a decade and pretty much survived coaching changes partly because key team players made it a part of their overall game.
Question: How many of those players are still on the team today?

I made a post, I think last January, that the Bruins were slowly drifting away from that defensive team structure that had sustained them for so long. My theory at the time was Boston was trying to play a quick up tempo transition game that was causing players to neglect their defensive responsibilities for a quick break out.

I'm now thinking that assumption is only part of the problem. The other part of the problem is the turnover in personnel. Many of these current players know nothing about Claude Julien's system, it's discipline and commitment to a structured team defense. I think only Marchand is a direct remnant of that instruction.

Just my opinion after 4 games, but with the current defensmen on this team there is no reason to be giving up an average of almost 4 goals a game. I was hoping with a Bruins coach dedicated to the defensive group that things would tighten up this year. Obviously, there is still a disconnect somewhere in team structure.

Whether that is Montgomery's doing or a mandate from upper management to play an up tempo quick transition game (Sweeney has spoken of this desire), I don't know. I do know they need to figure things out and tighten up the defensive coverage.

This is more than just new players learning the current system (which will help to an extent) it's about someone realizing they don't have the horses to go toe to toe in a run and gun game. Someone has to adjust, but whom?

As far as the team being flat - very noticeable in exhibition games and to start the season - partly a coaching issue, and partly a result of so many new players trying to learn a new system and find their place and purpose on the team. Indecisiveness and a lack of confidence ( fear of making a misrake) has some players inadvertently being caught flat-footed watching the play. This should resolve itself with more games as players settle in and the coaches decide who stays on the roster and who is in the lineup nightly.

We can only hope.

I think there's no question the Bruins' defense has steadily regressed under Monty. Not to say that what he inherited was perfect by any means, but it was pretty tried and tested. Jim's first year was mostly good defensively, although the outstanding offense and the goalies still papered over some early cracks. Last year though the rot really set in. Not horrible, but definitely issues emerging and the netminders had to do even more to cover the team's blushes. Start of this year is looking problematic again.

Personnel is a factor, for sure. The departures of Bergeron and even Krejci left a huge hole defensively, likewise the losses over time of Chara and Miller. Even a guy like Gryz, whatever his failings, he knew the Julien/Cassidy system well and could work effectively within it.

I really don't get the impression that Monty is a great defensive coach. He's steadily moved away from what was in place when he arrived, and that's his right, but what he brings in has to work and has to suit the team's wider end to end play. And so far that's looking patchy, to say the least. But we need to be patient. Zadorov is new, Peeke and Lohrei are still getting properly established within this defensive group, the pairs haven't settled. They've brought in Leach to help out behind the bench. I think the era of Julien's system is well and truly over. With a little more time with this revised roster, can they put something solid in its place?

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
I’m happy about the two losses in a way -

FL is/has been the best team since a month left 2 seasons ago and the salary inflated Knights were the other team to put a speed bump on those guys.

Playing them twice in the first week f***in sucks bc of course the emotions are high and Boston slipped back to their old ways, took penalties, and lost.

This is like when you get the power bat a month in AAA to finish the year - this is our cup of coffee - we see them in 5 months, a ton of new dudes, new chemistry, etc - can we figure out how to play 60 mins of hockey that can compete with the best teams in the league.

The fact that we don’t know now only stinks - sky’s not falling yet.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
should be 6 in the division. 42 games. 3 vs the other division in the conference. 24 games. one vs the other conference. 16 games. 82 games.

Cheevers Mask

Apr 11, 2019
Mercifully SN blacked out the game in Ontario so I concentrated on drinking beers and eating Thanksgiving Dinner early.

No way am I springing for Centre Ice no matter how many times they black Bruins games out.

JayMark

Jul 13, 2022

FL is/has been the best team since a month left 2 seasons ago and the salary inflated Knights were the other team to put a speed bump on those guys.

Playing them twice in the first week f***in sucks bc of course the emotions are high and Boston slipped back to their old ways, took penalties, and lost.

This is like when you get the power bat a month in AAA to finish the year - this is our cup of coffee - we see them in 5 months, a ton of new dudes, new chemistry, etc - can we figure out how to play 60 mins of hockey that can compete with the best teams in the league.

Fl had just lost to Buff and Ott before coming here and were playing without two of their best players. This is a game the bruins should have won . No question about it.

Trashpass

Dec 21, 2019
Even though they're playing outstanding when the fourth line is constantly your best, you aren't winning many games. Line up needs a reshuffle to try to get someone else going.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
they spent a few years killing the Boston - Montreal rivalry, why let a new one start.....

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Where are people coming up with not playing Florida for 5 months? It's actually just under 3 months.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Marchand Lindholm Pasta
Beecher Kastelic Koepke
Zacha Poitras Brazeau
Freddy Coyle Geekie
I actually like these line combinations . After the first line. I am not sure how they should be as in 2to4 . Just play what ever line is playing best the most. Several players in the bottom 9 should be close to sitting a game. Freddy for me has been perhaps the most disappointing forward to this point

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I think there's no question the Bruins' defense has steadily regressed under Monty. Not to say that what he inherited was perfect by any means, but it was pretty tried and tested. Jim's first year was mostly good defensively, although the outstanding offense and the goalies still papered over some early cracks. Last year though the rot really set in. Not horrible, but definitely issues emerging and the netminders had to do even more to cover the team's blushes. Start of this year is looking problematic again.

Personnel is a factor, for sure. The departures of Bergeron and even Krejci left a huge hole defensively, likewise the losses over time of Chara and Miller. Even a guy like Gryz, whatever his failings, he knew the Julien/Cassidy system well and could work effectively within it.

I really don't get the impression that Monty is a great defensive coach. He's steadily moved away from what was in place when he arrived, and that's his right, but what he brings in has to work and has to suit the team's wider end to end play. And so far that's looking patchy, to say the least. But we need to be patient. Zadorov is new, Peeke and Lohrei are still getting properly established within this defensive group, the pairs haven't settled. They've brought in Leach to help out behind the bench. I think the era of Julien's system is well and truly over. With a little more time with this revised roster, can they put something solid in its place?
Their goaltending carried them RS and especially PO with Swayman playing other wordly against Toronto and winning G5. If Marchand and Coyle are regressing and Ullmark gone you can be looking at a 95-98 point team.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
Fl had just lost to Buff and Ott before coming here and were playing without two of their best players. This is a game the bruins should have won . No question about it.
They must have just played them in the playoffs the last 2 seasons too.
Where are people coming up with not playing Florida for 5 months? It's actually just under 3 months.
Some of us are bad at math and the rest of us are worse at checking

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1728994427614.png

1728994464626.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad