Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Anaheim is making room for their young players, they have a ton. They even have Troy Terry playing on the 3rd line these days.

No way in Hell they are taking like 3 contracts from the Avs :laugh:

They don't need guys like Wood, Colton or Girard.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Anaheim is making room for their young players, they have a ton. They even have Troy Terry playing on the 3rd line these days.

No way in Hell they are taking like 3-4 contracts from the Avs :laugh:
Oh yeah, putting Terry on the 3rd line to make room for young kids like Alex Killorn and Robby Fabbri.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Oh yeah, putting Terry on the 3rd line to make room for young kids like Alex Killorn and Robby Fabbri.
Are we taking Fabbri and Killorn back in your scenario if we send Wood and Colton?

Because if not there are gonna be there still

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Just get Gibson for George, take the shot Gibson will do his job. The other hasn't come close. See if you can pay for some retention. 1M, something.

Don't make it complicated

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
It's kind of crazy just how quickly the Avs' pro scouting staff is losing the good will they rightfully earned for so many years. Georgie, Wood, Colton, Kylington, Brannstrom, Prosvetov, Kivi, Johansen, Tatar, Jones, Olofsson...just L after L after L in the most crucial time of this core's window. Thank God Mitts looks like a good call at least.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It's kind of crazy just how quickly the Avs' pro scouting staff is losing the good will they rightfully earned for so many years. Georgie, Wood, Colton, Kylington, Brannstrom, Prosvetov, Kivi, Johansen, Tatar, Jones, Olofsson...just L after L after L in the most crucial time of this core's window. Thank God Mitts looks like a good call at least.
You take that back!

I for one am actually thankful we've got Kivi. Could you imagine how much worse we'd be if it was another of the AHL slugs up here eating his minutes?

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site

It has been absolute dog shit for awhile. Basically matches our amateur scouting now.

Looks like the 1-2 year run of competence they had was a complete fluke. Luckily it was enough for a cup

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It has been absolute dog shit for awhile. Basically matches our amateur scouting now.

Looks like the 1-2 year run they had was a complete fluke. Luckily it was enough for a cup
One thing to keep in mind, is that during that 1-2 year run, we also had more cap space and better trade chips available.

I simply can't take my anger out on the pro scouts for this mess. I mean, does anyone really believe one of our pro scouts walked into CMac's office and started beating his desk demanding RyJo? I'm not sure just how strongly any of them recommended a PTO, maybe they could have done more the try and get better PTOs, but really the last work they did was at the deadline last season and we were all pretty happy with both them and CMac at the time (not nearly as many people had vocally pulled the plug on Georgiev by the deadline last season as had by training camp this season).

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I like Ross Colton, but he simply just hasn't fit in well here and he's earning too much for that to be the case.

He'd be coveted by many teams and even though it might be more difficult to move him with his new NTC I still think we could find a deal. I could see him being attached to Georgie for cap purposes or dealt in a corresponding move once another G is brought in. Team clearly needs a shakeup.

Sucks Behrens is hurt all year. I still can't fathom why they went after both Kylington and Brannstrom for the bottom pair when Kovacevic was right there.

And for gods sake get Chris Wagner out of the NHL. Pick up someone off waivers, call-up a youngster with some enthusiasm. This guy is just a warm body

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
The more the season goes on like this, the more I feel like management needs to make a core altering move (move Rantanen). We need depth and flexibility in the worst possible way. Our depth has just been decimated over the past 2 years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
IMO the writing was on the wall here right after the Cup. There was a lot of depth (and specifically in important spots) and excess value lost right there and it combined with age to give an outlook that pointed directly to this. The Avs/CMac were dealt a losing hand. Now with that, they still fumbled 22-23 and did an abysmal job that year. Since then, they have been paying for it. I do like that they actually tried last season. A lot of things didn't work, but the effort was there. Hopefully that continues.

As we're looking at this team, there are a lot of things to fix prior to the deadline.

Reactions: MacKaRant

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
IMO the writing was on the wall here right after the Cup. There was a lot of depth (and specifically in important spots) and excess value lost right there and it combined with age to give an outlook that pointed directly to this. The Avs/CMac were dealt a losing hand. Now with that, they still fumbled 22-23 and did an abysmal job that year. Since then, they have been paying for it. I do like that they actually tried last season. A lot of things didn't work, but the effort was there. Hopefully that continues.

As we're looking at this team, there are a lot of things to fix prior to the deadline.
If the deadline matters. I love Rants… but they could’ve filled a lot of holes. Now the teams gonna suck more if they keep him, and his max value is gone

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If the deadline matters. I love Rants… but they could’ve filled a lot of holes.
The problem with any Rants deal today is that a team acquiring him is looking to get better today, not just move pieces. It would be a tweaked up Meier sort of deal. So a roster player + B prospect + 2 1sts sort of deal. Might be some fringes on the outside of that like another prospect or pick, but neither likely ends up worth anything.

Any Rants trade is likely to punt this season. In doing that, it could be punting away any chance this team has of catching lightning in a bottle.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The cost was a fairly recent 4th OA pick + they failed at signing him to a decent contract. Who signs an important part of the team for 3 years following a bridge contract? At market value AAV on top of that.

I'm glad to have him but I'd not call that a win

The only real win of the CMac era was Drouin and he fell on their lap because of Mackinnon.

Reactions: cinchronicity

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The cost was a fairly recent 4th OA pick + they failed at signing him to a decent contract

The only real win of the CMac era was Drouin and he fell on their lap because of Mackinnon.
Moving Byram was likely the correct move, but it likely should have been done earlier.

What I don't like about CMac more than anything else is this 'building' for the future while trying to win. This team has a very limited window right now (if it even is open), and we're heading the way of the Penguins here soon. Gotta be willing to really push. I don't fault last deadline because you can only make so many moves and he made a lot. It is outside that where this issue comes in. IMO CMac needs to have a really good deadline.

Reactions: missionAvs

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
The problem with any Rants deal today is that a team acquiring him is looking to get better today, not just move pieces. It would be a tweaked up Meier sort of deal. So a roster player + B prospect + 2 1sts sort of deal. Might be some fringes on the outside of that like another prospect or pick, but neither likely ends up worth anything.

Any Rants trade is likely to punt this season. In doing that, it could be punting away any chance this team has of catching lightning in a bottle.
I see no lightning. I get what you’re saying, but a down year or two to bounce back better in 2-3 seasons vs a decade seems more fun to me.

The cost was a fairly recent 4th OA pick + they failed at signing him to a decent contract. Who signs an important part of the team for 3 years following a bridge contract? At market value AAV on top of that.

Mitts is a pretty good one too… Byram seems to have peaked.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
With it being heavily reported that Byram was going to walk on the Avs, 3.25 seasons of Mitts is a wash IMO.

If Mitts extends again in Colorado, I'd call it a win (assuming he maintains this pace of production).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I see no lightning. I get what you’re saying, but a down year or two to bounce back better in 2-3 seasons vs a decade seems more fun to me.

I see nothing to signal they'd bounce back better. This core would be ancient in 3 seasons and there isn't a large influx of young talent that projects to be in that timeframe. Ritchie might. But any picks or B prospects (whatever Rants would return) are unlikely to be a core level player to supplement the core.

With it being heavily reported that Byram was going to walk on the Avs, 3.25 seasons of Mitts is a wash IMO.

If he extends again in Colorado, I'd call it a win (assuming he maintains this pace of production).
Frankly... more than any contract situation. Mitts is the superior player today, and fits a need.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What I don't like about CMac more than anything else is this 'building' for the future while trying to win.
He could do it the smart way, which would be going after younger players with upside and excess value while trading the older ones. Instead he's keeping all the old guys at UFA value and using his first round picks to try to build the farm. Disaster.

The Avs used two first round picks in 2023 and one first round pick in 2024 (traded down).

Dumb shit.

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He could do it the smart way, which would be going after younger players with upside and excess value while trading the older ones. Instead he's keeping all the old guys at UFA value and using his first round picks to try to build the farm. Disaster.

The Avs used two first round picks in 2023 and one first round pick in 2024 (traded down).

Dumb shit.
It can be functionally difficult with NTC/NMC stopping trades and hockey trades just having a tendency to be hard. Still going after guys 20-22 who can step in today and add fresh legs would be an improvement compared to waiting for 4 for Goulash.

Reactions: Balthazar

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

I personally see some of it differently...
  • Johansen I see as all MacFarland, due to the Columbus connection
  • Kylington and Tatar were both what-the-heck late summer bargain signings. CMac moved on from the latter quickly
  • The Brannstrom/Jones/Prosvetov/etc. tier are 13F/7D/3G type players, I don't see them as a damnation of the pro scouting
I see Georgiev as a big pro scouting win. Nearly 80 wins and Vezina votes for a career back-up is massive. The failure is by management not making a change this past summer when it's been clear for a while that the wheels have fallen off.

Colton and Wood are the biggest indictments of the pro-scouting, IMO. I get that Colorado was trying to add more jam to its bottom-6 after 2022-2023 (Malgin, Newhook, Nieto, etc.), but these two have a lot of warts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad