Post-Game Talk: Bruins lose to Cats ( again) 4 - 3 )

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Maurice knows how to tame bruins. Hes kryptonite to us.
I’ve always disliked him, but he knows what he’s doing. He goads us into stupid penalties, where we spend way too much time in the box. When they get a lead, they are even more aggressive. They were happy to protect the house in front of the net, and let us try to make idiot passes through 6 or 7 pairs of legs.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Since last playoffs they should make his life hard every shift but this team s not equiped for

This team ALLEGEDLY was built for it this time around. The size, the alleged attitude and mentality for playing a rough, tough, physical style.

False. Disappointed. A team of Wheelers and Bitzs is not going to be enough unless we play Toronto yet again.

Montgomery needs to clone the Florida coaching strategy and allow the players to be the hammer not the nail.

Frederic was the most invisible Bruin today. Was he warned by the Bruins or the NHL to not repeat game 1? Leaning Bruins management at this point.

Since Claude left the Bruins have taken more pride in turning the other cheek than defending and message sending.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
Two comments on the game:
1 - The defensive pairs still look very unsettled, they need to find workable pairs because the talent is there but it feels completely out of sync on all three pairings. H Lindholm is still in a two year funk, may be just declining with age but his head is not in the game. Lohrei, while a bright future is ahead of him, still makes the mistakes of a young player in the D zone which may require additional time watching from the press box.
2 - Monty has got to let the boys go at some point. We may have the biggest team in recent history but he has them on a choke collar. Screw the game and let them build some chemistry by roughing up the Panthers.

Last edited:
Reactions: KWbruin

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Well they call us the Lunatic Fringe for a reason! End of the day, I always say, with rare exceptions, there's no right or wrong way to be a fan. To each their own. Just personally I've no real interest in Florida when they're not playing us, and I think spending any time fretting about them is just giving them more of a win over us than they already have. 'Rent free' may be overused but it does feel apt here.

Of course I want to see the Bruins beat them. But to really mean something it has to be in the playoffs, when it matters. Until then, I see the team win or lose just another regular season game, in this case lose, assess it on its merits and where they can play better, and move on to the next one. That's about the extent of my buy in at this point. But that's just me.
I concurred re playoffs. Playoffs are what counts. And we have a long time and a long way to go find and establish our identity. And miles to go before we sleep.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Can we get someone that has 1st/2nd line skill to push for 30 goals if we trade Coyle and Carlo for them? Won't be anyone with a great contract but I think it would be addition by subtraction.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Well they call us the Lunatic Fringe for a reason! End of the day, I always say, with rare exceptions, there's no right or wrong way to be a fan. To each their own. Just personally I've no real interest in Florida when they're not playing us, and I think spending any time fretting about them is just giving them more of a win over us than they already have. 'Rent free' may be overused but it does feel apt here.

Of course I want to see the Bruins beat them. But to really mean something it has to be in the playoffs, when it matters. Until then, I see the team win or lose just another regular season game, in this case lose, assess it on its merits and where they can play better, and move on to the next one. That's about the extent of my buy in at this point. But that's just me.

Well said.

Personally I only ever watch Florida games against Tampa as those tend to get out of hand, the best type of hockey.

Otherwise, irrelevant.

This season was different due to the Bennett and Tkachuk angle made worse with Bennett steamrolling the goalie well after a goal in game 1. The lack of grit and pride was egregious.

It is on the coach at this point, it has to be.

Onto the next game... but if this pattern continues regardless of opponent the entertainment factor will plummet and quickly. The team does not have the offensive talent to win any other way.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Oh I get the frustration. But Florida gets talked about and raised a lot here even when we're not playing them. That's always a sign to me that a particular team has got into the psyche of a fanbase in an unhealthy way. Obviously the Bruins need to find a way to counter them better, because they're not going away. But there's a bigger picture out there too that I think gets lost sometimes whenever the Panthers come up.
If you want to feel better, go read their board. You'll quickly see the Bruins fans are living rent free in a few of their poster's heads despite coming out on the winning side more than the losing end. I guess that's what nearly 3 decades of losing hockey (outside that fluke 1996 run) will do to some when they get a taste of winning.

Bitter losing to them in recent years, but at the end of the day it's 1 game. On to the next one. Colorado will be a challenge. The Avs are off to a slow start and just lost to Columbus in their home opener. They have the Isles tonight, but I expect them to come out angry.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
This team ALLEGEDLY was built for it this time around. The size, the alleged attitude and mentality for playing a rough, tough, physical style.

False. Disappointed. A team of Wheelers and Bitzs is not going to be enough unless we play Toronto yet again.

Montgomery needs to clone the Florida coaching strategy and allow the players to be the hammer not the nail.

Frederic was the most invisible Bruin today. Was he warned by the Bruins or the NHL to not repeat game 1? Leaning Bruins management at this point.

Since Claude left the Bruins have taken more pride in turning the other cheek than defending and message sending.

As I’ve said before, the challenge here for the Bruins is we’re asking them to play a different way, both tactically and in terms of their general mentality and approach, than they have the last few years. This has been a pass and playmaking team with only a limited physical aspect for quite some time. They traditionally haven’t had a very strong forecheck either. Now the roster has changed. There is less outright skill in the top 6, less experience, not much raw speed. The roster as a whole, and especially the defense, is bigger. Theoretically they should be leaning more into dump and chase, forechecking hard, ‘pounding’ bodies, as Maurice might say, at both ends to retrieve pucks. Fairly simple but hard-nosed north-south hockey, while still providing some space for skill and creativity from the likes of Pasta, Lindholm and Poitras.

But all this has to be learned. It takes time, and commitment, as the Panthers themselves could attest. Guys like Zadorov can give you some of the means, and an example to follow, but the whole team has to adjust and buy in to playing a certain way to really get anywhere. Once they work out what they way actually is. Monty talks a lot about wanting to win battles, be hard on pucks, effort, second effort and so on. And that’s all well and good and important. But what are their tactics more broadly? Beyond those sheer basics, by what methods do they want to beat opposing teams and play to the strengths of this roster? Do they really want to lean into playing heavy and with more aggression, or not? And so on. I don’t think it’s clear yet exactly what they want their identity to be.

I remember David Backes telling the story of how he allegedly asked Cassidy at one point to allow his line to play more of a dump and chase style, because he felt it would better suit his line and his own personal strengths. And Bruce, in simple terms, turned him down. He was a skate the puck in-style coach, at least at the time, and was sticking to it. Whether Cassidy was right or wrong, the point is that coaches have their ways and their preferences, and tend not to change easily. Can Monty coach this type of roster effectively? The Dallas team he coached was pretty heavy and gritty, so maybe. But really, we don’t know yet.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
They should just make a line of Freddy-Coyle-Geekie so all the bad players are at least together.

Honestly, not against it.

Just finished watching the game. Again, the first three lines look out of sorts. Your 4th line can't be your best line every night. Haven't seen anything, but Geekie got straight up benched if I'm not mistaken?

Thought there was a moment in the first where the score didn't matter and they were going to finally settle some other "scores". Would have preferred that approach. Can't keep taking it in the chin. I will say it again...... the top guys get it and are willing to push back. Pastrnak, McAvoy, Marchand, Swayman... They know what's up and are willing to stand up for it. It's everyone else I'm not so sure about. Including the direction from the coaching staff.

If something isn't working now, doesn't mean you can't come back to it later. I get the feeling like some combinations are being shoved down our throats because that's what management envisioned.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
If Freddy is producing at his usual level at a 15-20 goal pace by February, I definitely trade him at the deadline to some other team who just sees highlight reels and thinks he's tougher than he really is.
Or smarter than he really is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad