Post-Game Talk: Bruins Lay an Egg: Rangers 7 Bruins 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Then they need to change the way they are built. Simple. Not having your teammates backs and just crying to the refs is never acceptable.

Too many Bruins fans are starting to sound like Canadien fans.
Give me a break. Ive been a bruins fan 50 years. Never been accused of sounding like a habs fan. I want s tougher team but reality is with salary cap its not simple to change your identity on the fly. Sweeney built this team to be more skilled than tough. I dont like it either but constantly complaining about it is just nuts. We have zero control over it.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Give me a break. Ive been a bruins fan 50 years. Never been accused of sounding like a habs fan. I want s tougher team but reality is with salary cap its not simple to change your identity on the fly. Sweeney built this team to be more skilled than tough. I dont like it either but constantly complaining about it is just nuts. We have zero control over it.
I do like it. It is the way the league is going and it wins, because most skilled hockey players also compete hard. However Sweeney has gone too far. They need an enforcer if they can't change their DNA.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I do like it. It is the way the league is going and it wins, because most skilled hockey players also compete hard. However Sweeney has gone too far. They need an enforcer if they can't change their DNA.
Agree. We should see what it would take to get Ryan Reaves. That will fix things.

Reactions: lopey

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
It’s situations like this that make me question my own sanity/sense of reality.

I mean even after watching this multiple times and trying to see it for anything other than a man literally choosing to hit someone on head with his stick, the only conclusion I can reach is that a man, literally chose to hit someone on the head with his stick.

Contrast it with the McAvoy hit on OEL (which I am not defending or excusing) and at the very least they are at the same level of seriousness, except there is a very slight (maybe 0.9%) chance that McAvoy’s wasn’t intentional.

And at least McAvoy’s wasn’t after the whistle and most rational people needed to see it 4/5 times before coming to the conclusion that it was suspension worthy.

I hate that I find myself constantly coming back to complaining/criticizing the refs and DOPS because again, I find myself wondering if I’m just being a homer.

However, I’ve also started focusing on how out of market games are officiated lately and the only conclusion I can come to is that they are as terrible as I find them to be when I watch Bruins games.

Lastly, I’m not saying “they” have it out for the Bruins. Given what human nature is, surely there is a ref or 4 that has some sort of bias, conscious or not, against every team in the league.

Sadly, what we’re dealing with most of the time is a group of people who are just very poor at their job.

With that being said, however, just in the last week and a half, you certainly can make a case that DOPS has it out for the Bruins given the cross check to Poitras that only garnered a minor when a similar play the same night by Manson, rightfully was deemed a major and game misconduct.

Then couple that with the light “penalty” to Trouba, who is not a notoriously dirty player, but no altar boy either, and you can’t help but wonder what’s going on.
I agree with you. Not a conspiracy, but people who are just absolutely bad at their jobs. If Parros wanted to jump in instantly to send a message, it should not have been for a weak lunch money fine when there was a clear intent to injure and the sole (not principal, but sole) point of contact was the head.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The fact no one went after Trouba after he ball batted Trent should be pretty concerning

Shouldn't Frederic be the one to go after Trouba?

Terrible for the ref to not call this. But, Frederic wasn't hurt (hardly seemed to faze him) nor did he even respond. And in this current lineup, he's suppose to be the guy that should respond. If Frederic drops his gloves and things escalate, officials would have had to review the incident. Maybe then Trouba gets called.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Shouldn't Frederic be the one to go after Trouba?

Terrible for the ref to not call this. But, Frederic wasn't hurt (hardly seemed to faze him) nor did he even respond. And in this current lineup, he's suppose to be the guy that should respond. If Frederic drops his gloves and things escalate, officials would have had to review the incident. Maybe then Trouba gets called.
I get that perspective, but I think anyone on the team who saw it, should have responded.

This should be base level human reaction.

If I saw someone I don’t even know get assaulted like that in a parking lot, I’d do something….

How do you not do anything when it happens to a teammate/friend?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I get that perspective, but I think anyone on the team who saw it, should have responded.

If I saw someone I don’t even know get assaulted like that in a parking lot, I’d do something….

It is possible no one saw it. Though Coyle was standing right there.

When it happened, I didn't see it. Whatever feed I was watching at the time didn't mention it.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

The amount of times Sweeneys teams have turned the other cheek over the years is staggering. Nothing new, and fans are always left asking if thereshould have been a response (yes there should have been).

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
It is possible no one saw it. Though Coyle was standing right there.

When it happened, I didn't see it. Whatever feed I was watching at the time didn't mention it.
I definitely saw it but also definitely wasn’t surprised nobody did anything about it on this team,maybe a little surprised Freddy didn’t but he seems to have been neutered again really since he had his last fight.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
BTW, if having the best regular season record means 'jack shit,' then it follows that the President's Cup means 'jack shit.'

Regular season success hasn’t resulted in playoff success for the bruins. So it really does mean less for the bruins.

Over the past decade the bruins have the most regular season points with zero cups. The other teams in the top 5 of regular season points over the last decade have all won cups.

For some reason regular season success has translated into postseason success for the other top teams, but when it comes to the bruins for some reason it hasn’t.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
if Bruins D isn't at its best its a tough task for this foward group against teams with firepower
They scored 4. Normally when you score 4 goals, you win.

Problem I saw was bad D zone coverage and lack of winning puck battle in Boston zone. Too much lazy stick on defence, lanes and cross passing lanes were way to easily available for the Rangers, bad coverage leaded to WAY to much Ranger high scoring chances that Linus wasn't capable of stopping, I could say wasn't capable of doing miracle.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
For Christ’s sake, Savard would have jumped the guy!
Was easier back then to jump on someone.... backs were covered! Lucic, McQuaid, Thornton, Chara, Horton, Boychuck just naming those coming in mind quickly!

Then they need to change the way they are built. Simple. Not having your teammates backs and just crying to the refs is never acceptable.

Too many Bruins fans are starting to sound like Canadien fans.
Lol...

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Sorry but what the flying f***???

Seriously??

I make myself sick when I suggest this, but Freddy should have hit the ice kicking his feet. If he had gone down like (was it?) OEL, I wonder what the punishment would have been.

What a disgrace.

He should have dove to the ground and acted like a Canadian team?

I guess this is what happens when you don’t have anyone that stands up for each other.

Sad to see.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
This is what has to change if the Bruins want to be a hard team to play against. To many players on this roster that refuse to answer the bell when needed. Andrew Ference would have came to his rescue instantly if he was on the ice (a smaller player). You do not have to win you simply have to let the other team know that if you take liberties on a Bruin you are going to have to answer for your actions.

I remember Ference fighting Backes. Even Savard would fly in to defend a teammate.

Horton failed his first chance and didn't make the same mistake on the Ference/Lucic/Thrashers brawl. Bruins culture used to be different. The NHL is softer than ever but even at a team toughness level to defend each other and escalate when needed should be a minimum.

Frederic skating away from this Trouba incident is baffling.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
He should have dove to the ground and acted like a Canadian team?

I guess this is what happens when you don’t have anyone that stands up for each other.

Sad to see.
That's not a hockey play we're debating, Rico. Different ball of wax if it's a hit that's a little late, or of someone takes a few hacks at our 'tender.

Baseball swing of a hockey stick to the side of the head. That can't happen I don't care what team you're on. You didn't hear me squawk about the McAvoy suspension even though I thought it was sold by the offended party all the way to the cheap seats. Why? Because that kind of play shouldn't happen.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I remember Ference fighting Backes. Even Savard would fly in to defend a teammate.

Horton failed his first chance and didn't make the same mistake on the Ference/Lucic/Thrashers brawl. Bruins culture used to be different. The NHL is softer than ever but even at a team toughness level to defend each other and escalate when needed should be a minimum.

Frederic skating away from this Trouba incident is baffling.
I think the coach has a tight reign on his players we all watched Hathaway turn into a little cuddly kitten with the Bruins.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Dops suspension logic is flawed. They look at the result of the play not the act itself. Its like if you tried to murder someone but they survived you get a lesser sentence. Its stupid. Maybe if they enforced tougher suspensions on the act maybe the act will dtop?
But…if you do try to murder someone and they survive you do get a lesser sentence? Not disagreeing on DOPS being incompetent either…

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I think a lot of factors played into the last 2 games.

The players didn't get home until 4 AM on Thanksgiving morning and frankly, they seemed gassed in NY.

Lack of practice time is hurting them - They COULD have flown to Columbus after the game on Saturday but instead elected to stay in Manhattan so again no practice.

Saturday, November 25 (Madison Square Garden, New York, NY)
- Head Coach Jim Montgomery available to media at approximately 11:40 a.m.
- Game vs. New York Rangers, 1 p.m. (TV: NESN | Radio: 98.5)
- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to media following the game

Sunday, November 26 (New York, NY)
- Travel to Columbus

Monday, November 27 (Nationwide Arena,M Columbus, OH)
- Morning skate, 11:30 a.m.
- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to media following morning skate
- Game vs. Columbus Blue Jackets, 7 p.m. (TV: NESN | Radio: 98.5)
- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to media following the game
Monty's poor decision making is showing. He's picked up where he left off last playoffs. NO practice? A completely discombobulated first line and mediocre PP and NO practice.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad