Post-Game Talk: Bruins get Flamed 4-3 (Mod Warning Post 161)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm fully aware that change just for change sake can be a bad thing. I'm just tired of seeing the GM blow draft picks, trades, and mismanage the cap so blatantly that I want him gone. His hand picked coach by default would have to go too, just because I think the organization not only needs change, but sweeping change. I think keeping either would not be enough to shake up the team the way it needs to be shaken up. The coach and the GM have too much loyalty to players who helped with the cup win in 2011, but are shells of their former selves now. The only way this roster is going to get the overhaul it needs is with a fresh set of eyes in both roles. Eyes that don't have that allegiance and loyalty to guys the game has clearly passed by.

I couldn't possibly disagree with you more about Julien Lonnie. I think he's a fantastic coach and the glue that holds a team with holes every year together. I think without him there's no Cup and there's no Finals in 2013.

All that said, if you can get PC and Neely fired for me and ensure me I don't have to see Ferguson Jr. or Sacco in positions of influence, I'll let you fire Julien. Deal?

bergysbruins

Jan 29, 2014
RI
It's human nature for the losing team to look more aggressive and vice versa. This is a classic case of fans being fans. It's the same **** on every team's message board after a blown loss. It's not to be taken seriously.

The data on blown losses tells you all you need to know. The Bruins have been better than league average holding 2nd period leads over the last 5 years. Period.

I'm honestly more surprised there isn't more energy focused on what the hell Hamilton was doing on the first goal, why the PP is so horrendous, and just what Rask was doing in OT. All much more relevant and fair questions I'd say.

I probably am guilty of being over the top on the blown lead but I do think we are worse than most with the most dangerous lead in hockey of 2 goals or more. I am not on the fire Julien bandwagon by any means but I do feel he sits on a lead more than most. Good defensive structure allows him to get away with it better than many but defense has been far from our strong point this season.

The first goal was terrible by Hamilton and he has been one of our worst defensemen by far in this recent streak IMO. He is 6'5 and he plays like he is smaller than Krug.

Powerless play I'd rather not talk about because I am already depressed.

Rask made some phenomenal saves and I think the last goal was flukey...bounced off the back iron on top of the net not really a typical goal there. Could he have played it better? Yes. Is the loss even close to his fault? No.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I couldn't possibly disagree with you more about Julien Lonnie. I think he's a fantastic coach and the glue that holds a team with holes every year together. I think without him there's no Cup and there's no Finals in 2013.

All that said, if you can get PC and Neely fired for me and ensure me I don't have to see Ferguson Jr. or Sacco in positions of influence, I'll let you fire Julien. Deal?

I'm good with that. I'd love to see a change across all of those positions. Unfortunately, I think they'd probably try to hang onto at least one of them (If it got to the point of firings), and my guess is that it would be Neely who they'd retain. So I say I want Chiarelli gone, and by default, Julien, but if I had to rank it in order, it would look like this:

1. Chiarelli
2. Neely

3. Julien

In reality, I think Neely would be able to survive and shake up since he didn't pick Chia or Julien. So if they decide to move on from Chia, then I think that Julien would be a casualty simply because he's Chia's guy.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I probably am guilty of being over the top on the blown lead but I do think we are worse than most with the most dangerous lead in hockey of 2 goals or more. I am not on the fire Julien bandwagon by any means but I do feel he sits on a lead more than most. Good defensive structure allows him to get away with it better than many but defense has been far from our strong point this season.

The first goal was terrible by Hamilton and he has been one of our worst defensemen by far in this recent streak IMO. He is 6'5 and he plays like he is smaller than Krug.

Rask made some phenomenal saves and I think the last goal was flukey...bounced off the back iron on top of the net not really a typical goal there. Could he have played it better? Yes. Is the loss even close to his fault? No.

They play a trap. When you play a system where the forwards back up to the neutral zone regularly, when you're up against a desperate team trying to push the pace I'm not sure how any team doesn't look like they're sitting back.

League-wide data is available. It says the Bruins blow leads in the 3rd at a lower rate than league average this year and over CJ's tenure. It is completely objective and it is the only relevant measure I see here. I am just as angry as anyone about the loss but the data is the data. They do it at a lower rate than most teams. It's that simple.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan

The game I watched, the first goal, off Chara's stick, no chance for Rask, second goal, Bart doing stretches in from of Rask, no chance for Rask, third goal PP, deflection by Hudler in front, no chance for Rask, OT goal, off Marchand's stick bounce of top of net, no chance for Rask. All the brillant saves by Rask and still people point fingers. As for the goal you blame Hamilton for, that is all on Chara, Dougie had position and all Chara had to do was step over and close of the short side of the net preventing Jones from getting there, failed and then he deflects the shot in his own net. This team has issues on every line except Bergy's. Why does Julien not put Loui on the first line, Smith back with Bergy to help Smith out, and Pasta on line 3, unreal how stubborn Julien is with regardes to trying Loui on the first line, one game there last year he had 4 points, one game. Fire his a$$ right now and move forward, bring in Walrus.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I'm good with that. I'd love to see a change across all of those positions. Unfortunately, I think they'd probably try to hang onto at least one of them (If it got to the point of firings), and my guess is that it would be Neely who they'd retain. So I say I want Chiarelli gone, and by default, Julien, but if I had to rank it in order, it would look like this:

1. Chiarelli
2. Neely

3. Julien

In reality, I think Neely would be able to survive and shake up since he didn't pick Chia or Julien. So if they decide to move on from Chia, then I think that Julien would be a casualty simply because he's Chia's guy.

Julien will gone before Chiarelli. Firing the coach is the GMs last play before he gets fired himself. Unless they they all go together.

Personally, I'd fire Julien in the summer if he can't turn things around. He has more talent on that team than they are showing. He's made some piss poor decisions this year in regards to in game coaching and lineups.

He's stubborn as hell and his refusal to put Eriksson with Krejci just reinforces that.

I think he's a good coach, but I'm not sure the team is on board with him anymore and it's much easier to replace a coach than some of the core players that people here want to trade.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

1. Chiarelli
2. Neely

3. Julien

As much as I've been on a juvenile tirade against our GM lately (he is close to dead to me), I am incredibly disappointed in Neely as well. I just know that the fanboy love for him here basically means he's here as long as he wants to be. People see him pumping fists in the press box and they assume he's a ball of fire and always trying to improve the team and working hard to get certain players to bring it every night. Yet those players don't bring it every night, and his GM doesn't improve the team. Go figure.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
As much as I've been on a juvenile tirade against our GM lately (he is close to dead to me), I am incredibly disappointed in Neely as well. I just know that the fanboy love for him here basically means he's here as long as he wants to be. People see him pumping fists in the press box and they assume he's a ball of fire and always trying to improve the team and working hard to get certain players to bring it every night. Yet those players don't bring it every night, and his GM doesn't improve the team. Go figure.

He's the head honcho. Ultimately, this rests on him.

I don't want him fired...yet. But he to step up and make some changes, and fast.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Maybe a bigger problem than age or management inaction.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Chiarelli has tied himself to Julien with steel chains and cement blocks, even moreso than Shero and Bylsma in Pittsburgh and look what happened there.

I put almost full blame for this debacle of a season on Chiarelli. Claude has exacerbated the problem by refusing to sit his struggling vets (Campbell, Paille) for rookies with offensive potential like Spooner and Koko. That is maddening. One defensive miscue and they are buried.

The choice of Seidenberg over Boychuk looks like another monumental blunder on Chia's part (not quite Chara over Redden though).

Bad trades, wrong guys extended, poor Cap management, coaching refusal to nurture young players, has led to this clusterf###.

And it's scary to me that one of the biggest GM flameouts in Ferguson and one of the biggest coaching flameouts in Sacco could be waiting in the wings.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
I don't think Claude tells the players to hang back....many times over the years when they have had leads the cameras will pan to him on timeouts and he is telling the players to keep attacking.

But in essence what really is attacking in Claude's system. Its forechecking, clogging the neutral zone and dumping the puck deep. Then hoping his forwards can win the puck battles for a shot from the point. In today's NHL this isn't attacking at all , in reality its closer to the equivalent of basketball's 4 corner stall.

Czerk

Feb 13, 2007
Riverview
I don't think Claude tells the players to hang back....many times over the years when they have had leads the cameras will pan to him on timeouts and he is telling the players to keep attacking.

CLAUDE and ATTACK should never be in the same conversation.

THIS is one of the problems. We don't attack. We don't look for plays out of the zone after breaking up play in our D zone. We look for control behind our goal line. The rest of the league knows this, so they have 2 and 3 deep forecheckers, hemming us in the zone. Other teams (if you watch live or on TV), push the puck up quickly. Not roll it back to the goal line and try to get control. You can NEVER get breakaways and 2 on 1's this way. Our 2 on 1's are when teams press in the neutral zone and turn it over... which usually when we have the lead, this happens.

bergysbruins

Jan 29, 2014
RI
The game I watched, the first goal, off Chara's stick, no chance for Rask, second goal, Bart doing stretches in from of Rask, no chance for Rask, third goal PP, deflection by Hudler in front, no chance for Rask, OT goal, off Marchand's stick bounce of top of net, no chance for Rask. All the brillant saves by Rask and still people point fingers. As for the goal you blame Hamilton for, that is all on Chara, Dougie had position and all Chara had to do was step over and close of the short side of the net preventing Jones from getting there, failed and then he deflects the shot in his own net. This team has issues on every line except Bergy's. Why does Julien not put Loui on the first line, Smith back with Bergy to help Smith out, and Pasta on line 3, unreal how stubborn Julien is with regardes to trying Loui on the first line, one game there last year he had 4 points, one game. Fire his a$$ right now and move forward, bring in Walrus.

Agree with Rask but no way I give Dougie a pass for that goal. He looked like a peewee not sure how to pivot and was still skating backwards when Jones was 5 feet past him. Chara was playing the man in front of the net which is expected in a two on two and Dougie has to make a better play on his man. Chara gets some blame but definitely not all of it. Dougie got caught flat footed and it cost him, that has happened all too often with him recently.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
When Bergeron was on the ice last night (in all situations), the Bruins allowed 6 shots against in the 18+ minutes he was on. 3 of them went in, leading to another minus night in the +/- column. Down to .886 save percentage at even strength when he's on the ice this year, 2nd worst in the NHL among players with 50+ games (Martin Erat has worse numbers). What an absolute freak season for him. I thought he was terrific again last night, just cannot catch a break.

bluetib

Feb 17, 2009
Montreal
bruins.nhl.com
When Bergeron was on the ice last night (in all situations), the Bruins allowed 6 shots against in the 18+ minutes he was on. 3 of them went in, leading to another minus night in the +/- column. Down to .886 save percentage at even strength when he's on the ice this year, 2nd worst in the NHL among players with 50+ games (Martin Erat has worse numbers). What an absolute freak season for him. I thought he was terrific again last night, just cannot catch a break.

Stubborn like Julien he's killing me in my Fantasy pool, NHL15 curse:sarcasm:

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
The problem I have with it , is why was Rask down on his knees and super deep in the net. If he's standing up the puck hits him in the back/chest. Since he's on his knees he has to reach up/back with his glove.

I was annoyed for about 3 secs until I realized that it didn't matter because it was going to be a shootout 1 sec later and we know how those go. It was the same ending either way.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
People are blaming Tuukka Rask. ****. Off.

Look at this defense. Name me 5 that are worse, I don't think you can.

I've been saying this that our D is the worst among playoff teams.

People still live in 2011-2013 and think our D is amazing.

Arthur*

The Lunatic Fringe said:
I'm going to bed. Most years I'd feel safe headed into the third with a two goal lead, this year...ehhh. Hopefully I wake up to find they held it.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Rask should've got that puck in OT. He played good all game, but he should've caught that slow motion puck. That blooper lost us the game. Period. But the whole team played uninspired, the pp is prime example. The pp used to be very good last year. Krug & Hamilton injected some life into it, but now it looks like days yonder lol. Need this team to get their collective head out of their *****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad