Post-Game Talk: Bruins get Flamed 4-3 (Mod Warning Post 161)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
The turnovers are a bi-product of the stationary breakout. The forwards need to do a better job of getting to open ice in the defensive zone for a breakout. The D end up with option A - Up the boards to a stationary stick or option B throw is back along the boards to a player skating the wrong direction or option c - throw it up the middle to the far point to the only guy facing the right direction and moving his feet.

The other issue is this team is losing assignments behind the net. I got it for the first 20 games or so, but we are in the last stretch here. If you don't know by now how to handle a puck carrier behind the net, you need to sit a few games to figure it out.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
just gotta laugh.
this team is a turnover machine.
has been all season.
hamilton has been an absolute clown on the defensive end since the new year especially
gonna take a break from this trainwreck until the chi game on sunday.

Are you actually thinking this is going to get better playing against Chi or are you a Chi fan?

Something is seriously wrong with this team right now and it really isn't the skills they have. There has to be some sort of rift happening in the locker room and there is no good leadership to correct it. It's so depressing to watch this unfold.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I've been on a cruise for the past 5 days... looks like I haven't missed too much.

Good to see Florida is catching up with us. Also great that we haven't made a trade.

Are you actually thinking this is going to get better playing against Chi or are you a Chi fan?

Something is seriously wrong with this team right now and it really isn't the skills they have. There has to be some sort of rift happening in the locker room and there is no good leadership to correct it. It's so depressing to watch this unfold.

Absolutely. You think Chara, Seids, and Hamilton are happy that their much weaker without Boychuk? You think Miller and McQuaid are happy that they're getting torn to shreds in the top 4? You think Krejci is happy Chia replaced Iginla with Gagne? And that he hasn't played with Loui like he was preparing to all summer? You think Rask is happy his team is ****?

This team is full of veterans that want to win. It's why they sign here long term. I love Boston but there are MUCH more desireable places to be. They are here because they want to win. Chiarelli has murdered this team's window and Claude isn't a good coach without a lot of talent. I wouldn't be surprised if they're upset with management. And leaders aren't going to stop what they're fighting for.

Changes are coming... From Claude/Chia/Cam or Charlie Jacobs? That's the question.

Claude and Chia are out if we miss the playoffs. He's made that clear.

Last edited:

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
This team has been blowing leads and giving up late goals for years. I mean we only blew a lead and lost the Stanley Cup, no big deal. Nothing has ever been tried to change that.

Julien keeps his system, the players stay back and dump the puck into the neutral zone and rely on the system, and teams get chance after chance to come back.

Same old song and dance. Also, when will they realize Smith isn't good on the PP? How many bad plays will it take?
Too much patience in the coaching staff and management will bite them in the ass. Or it will work like 2011..

I am sick of seeing a stone faced Julien on camera after all this crap goes down. Light a fire under there ***** Julien, beacause they clearly can't do it on their own.

bergysbruins

Jan 29, 2014
RI
no way anyone convinces this fan that Julien or any other coach (with exception of Guy Boucher) says "now sit back boys, prevent defense from here out" and with Miller gone from the game, and the D being pressed into extra action, do you actually believe that`s what Julien says to his troops?

Been watching this game far too long, and seen hundreds, if not thousands of teams from Junior to Pro`s who jump out to the big lead early, and the opponent chips away at that lead as human nature kicks in (why? I don`t know) and players naturally can`t get it through their heads to keep the pedal to the metal

Never made it past Junior B myself but even this hack of a player has been involved in more than my share of games where I played for the team who had the big lead and lost it, and the one who fell behind and came back

I`ll fault Julien for many things....this ain`t one of em

Let me clear this up then...I do not think he says sit there and watch them come to you and I agree that most times a team with a lead plays defensively and allows a team to chip away.

That being said, we have to be one of the worst teams playing with a 2 goal or more lead...and some of that HAS to fall on coaching. I am admittedly a paranoid fan that is worried if we have a 1 goal lead or 4 goal lead but this is ridiculous. Puckalytics, which not sure how accurate that is, says we are #24 in the league with a 2+ goal lead and I'm surprised we are that high. If there is a spark and the team is playing well they aren't going to revert to 1-2-2 and play overly defensive if the coaching doesn't tell them to. I just cannot put all of the blame on players with this being a consistent issue.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Nah, people just frustrated as of late.

It was an unlucky bounce, just happened to be him on the other end.

Wouldn't blame Rask for anything unless it was in a Montreal series.

The problem I have with it , is why was Rask down on his knees and super deep in the net. If he's standing up the puck hits him in the back/chest. Since he's on his knees he has to reach up/back with his glove.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Which is probably why he comes off as uncaring and too passive to some fans.

Claude isn't the problem. This is on the players.

Certainly lots of blame to go around. But in a league that rewards an open style of play , Claude's system has to be taking its toll on any player with any semblance of offensive creativity.

bergysbruins

Jan 29, 2014
RI
The turnovers are a bi-product of the stationary breakout. The forwards need to do a better job of getting to open ice in the defensive zone for a breakout. The D end up with option A - Up the boards to a stationary stick or option B throw is back along the boards to a player skating the wrong direction or option c - throw it up the middle to the far point to the only guy facing the right direction and moving his feet.

The other issue is this team is losing assignments behind the net. I got it for the first 20 games or so, but we are in the last stretch here. If you don't know by now how to handle a puck carrier behind the net, you need to sit a few games to figure it out.

This is spot on...that is a big reason I was happy to see Bart playing tonight because he skates the puck and creates open ice. I think the B's did a good job of that early on and is a huge reason they were successful. I would like to see the forwards come back to the D and get open better but if you go d to d twice and spend 15 seconds to prepare for a breakout it is wayyyy too easy for the opposing team to set up and defend. Second half of the game they didn't do this at all...they threw it up the boards got hemmed in and were screwed because of it. When they do this the best result they usually get is a puck to the far blue line and the opposition comes right back into the zone. It is more than frustrating at this point.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
This was a game that both teams needed but the Flames wanted it more than the Bruins. One or two guys can't carry this team. Looking bad for Miller at this point.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Certainly lots of blame to go around. But in a league that rewards an open style of play , Claude's system has to be taking its toll on any player with any semblance of offensive creativity.

Thanks to the job PC has done, and the way CJ uses the players on this roster, they don't really have to worry about this, do they? :naughty:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
When you don't put your foot on your opponent's throat when you're up 3-0 you don't deserve to win either in regulation or overtime, period.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
no way anyone convinces this fan that Julien or any other coach (with exception of Guy Boucher) says "now sit back boys, prevent defense from here out" and with Miller gone from the game, and the D being pressed into extra action, do you actually believe that`s what Julien says to his troops?

Been watching this game far too long, and seen hundreds, if not thousands of teams from Junior to Pro`s who jump out to the big lead early, and the opponent chips away at that lead as human nature kicks in (why? I don`t know) and players naturally can`t get it through their heads to keep the pedal to the metal

Never made it past Junior B myself but even this hack of a player has been involved in more than my share of games where I played for the team who had the big lead and lost it, and the one who fell behind and came back

I`ll fault Julien for many things....this ain`t one of em

Co-signed.

bluetib

Feb 17, 2009
Montreal
bruins.nhl.com
If any Bruins fans have disrespected your team or your fellow fans, allow me to apologize for that.

I think the ****ing WORLD of the Calgary Flames of the past couple of seasons. You guys are doing the rebuild the right way, without merely accepting the losses along the way. One of the best teams to watch in the entire league.

With a great coach btw.. ;)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
When you don't put your foot on your opponent's throat when you're up 3-0 you don't deserve to win either in regulation or overtime, period.

Funny how after they went up 3-0 and blew it versus Philly to cap off that collapse, people put it on the players and pretty much absolved julien. After seeing how the team changes it's playing style when they get up, it's more than clear it's coaching.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Funny how after they went up 3-0 and blew it versus Philly to cap off that collapse, people put it on the players and pretty much absolved julien. After seeing how the team changes it's playing style when they get up, it's more than clear it's coaching.

:facepalm:

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

I agree the coaching has been bad but player evaluation, lack of roster turnover and an unwillingness to make a desperately needed trade to shake up the lethargic core is the GM's fault. Chiarelli should take the fall before Julien in my opinion.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

So I take it you've seen the data too huh?

Claude's record with leads is above average in his tenure here. This is a classic case of "grass is greener" syndrome. People come here to cry after losses and they claim their coach has a style that leads them to blow leads, when in reality the data refutes it.

Win % when leading after 2:

2014-2015: 12th
2013-2014: 5th
2012-2013: 29th
2011-2012: 1st
2010-2011: 13th

This averages to better than average in the league. So can we please stop with this crap?

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
I agree PC went all in with keeping his core players together for a little longer than he should. Then you have some draft picks made who don't fit your Coaches system which makes no sense.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
I don't think Claude tells the players to hang back....many times over the years when they have had leads the cameras will pan to him on timeouts and he is telling the players to keep attacking.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I agree the coaching has been bad but player evaluation, lack of roster turnover and an unwillingness to make a desperately needed trade to shake up the lethargic core is the GM's fault. Chiarelli should take the fall before Julien in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I want Chia gone too. :laugh:

I'm just tired of the style the team plays, the players they have on the roster, the lack of effort, the odd coaching decisions, the lack of urgency by the entire front office, the incredibly predictable play on the PP, ES, and breaking out of their zone, the lack of any offensively elite players, the singular drive to incorporate a roster of all too similar players, and the willingness to gut the team for draft picks, which will then be used on players who don't fit the style and don't get a shot because of it. It's a cyclical punch in the balls over and over, and I want change.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I don't think Claude tells the players to hang back....many times over the years when they have had leads the cameras will pan to him on timeouts and he is telling the players to keep attacking.

I guess this notion comes from the same people who say Claude hates young players and won't use them unless he's forced to :rolleyes:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

It's human nature for the losing team to look more aggressive and vice versa. This is a classic case of fans being fans. It's the same **** on every team's message board after a blown loss. It's not to be taken seriously.

The data on blown losses tells you all you need to know. The Bruins have been better than league average holding 2nd period leads over the last 5 years. Period.

I'm honestly more surprised there isn't more energy focused on what the hell Hamilton was doing on the first goal, why the PP is so horrendous, and just what Rask was doing in OT. All much more relevant and fair questions I'd say.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Don't get me wrong. I want Chia gone too. :laugh:

I'm just tired of the style the team plays, the players they have on the roster, the lack of effort, the odd coaching decisions, the lack of urgency by the entire front office, the incredibly predictable play on the PP, ES, and breaking out of their zone, the lack of any offensively elite players, the singular drive to incorporate a roster of all too similar players, and the willingness to gut the team for draft picks, which will then be used on players who don't fit the style and don't get a shot because of it. It's a cyclical punch in the balls over and over, and I want change.

Be careful what you wish for you just might get it.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Be careful what you wish for you just might get it.

I'm fully aware that change just for change sake can be a bad thing. I'm just tired of seeing the GM blow draft picks, trades, and mismanage the cap so blatantly that I want him gone. His hand picked coach by default would have to go too, just because I think the organization not only needs change, but sweeping change. I think keeping either would not be enough to shake up the team the way it needs to be shaken up. The coach and the GM have too much loyalty to players who helped with the cup win in 2011, but are shells of their former selves now. The only way this roster is going to get the overhaul it needs is with a fresh set of eyes in both roles. Eyes that don't have that allegiance and loyalty to guys the game has clearly passed by.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad