News Article: Bruins Front Office Confidence Rank

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It’s “supposed” to be the current management. But that’s not how fans answer - look at the Lightning. Their fans gave them an ‘A’ for drafting and developing, second highest score in the league. But what drafting/developing have they done under Brisebois? That’s an Yzerman grade.

Our fans rate us lower in Vision than the Anaheim Ducks, who have had 26 picks in the first 3 rounds over the past 6 years (!!!) and are still awful. Moral of the story is Bruins fans are not good at rating their front office relative to the league.

I think again it depends on who you're asking. You're right about the Tampa response, but in regards to Montreal how else to explain the giddy excitement of their grading, if not to just assume they're actually completing the task correctly?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yes I would. Again much more successful GMs throughout NHL history have been fired for less.

GMs have a shelf life. You seem to live in some mythical world where the only job in the NHL that has a shelf life is the coach.

In Sweeney’s case right now you can only fire so many coaches before the finger gets pointed at himself.

I don't think they do.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I don't think they do.

History would indicate that's correct. But I'd argue that in the vast majority of cases they probably should have one. With very rare exceptions, people in those sorts of senior roles tend to grow stale eventually.

It's a balancing act. Coaches IMO get turfed too quickly in modern sport, especially in America. GMs tend to get a little more leeway, for obvious reasons. Whether it's sometimes too much is debatable. The Bruins are typically conservative in this regard, for better or worse.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
JJ spearheaded the cap?

Explain this to me Lou?

If JJ spearheaded it, and was "the guy" to bring it in, why did the Bruins get caught with their pants down by not filling out a roster before the lockout because he thought things would be different coming out of the lockout?

This idea that he wanted it and spearheaded it is way off. It was Bettman that spearheaded it.

I mean, what are we doing here? You're seriously trying to say Jeremy Jacobs didn't want a hard salary cap? And that he wasn't one of the driving forces behind the season-cancelling lockout? Without question one of the most powerful owners in the league---the one who refused to take advantage of his huge financial advantage for two decades---wasn't a big proponent of the salary cap?

Yeah, they got caught with their pants down, that's true, but that's only because even Jacobs didn't think the players would cave the way they did. But that has nothing to do with him wanting a cap in the first place.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
From July 25, 2005:

Bruins Owner Jeremy Jacobs, on the club’s payroll approaching the new CBA’s $39M salary cap: “I wish I could aim for the bottom end [$21.5M]. But I don’t have a management or a community that would be empathetic to that. ... It wouldn’t be smart”

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
From July 25, 2005:

Bruins Owner Jeremy Jacobs, on the club’s payroll approaching the new CBA’s $39M salary cap: “I wish I could aim for the bottom end [$21.5M]. But I don’t have a management or a community that would be empathetic to that. ... It wouldn’t be smart”

He's not cheap though! Guessing I didn't live through not wanting to pay Krushelnyski, Fergus, Juneau, Allison...........The Jacobs/Sinden era was infuriating.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Opening sentence from an AP story that ran in major newspaper around the country on November 27, 2005:

Now that Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs has the cost certainty he fought so hard for, he expects his club to be thriving in the new world of the NHL salary cap.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Bruins win Cup this season I’m confident Bruins fans can get Front Office into top 10
We’ve lost to so many inferior teams like clockwork every year though. Looking back since 2009 Carolina loss I feel like the Florida teams are the only non terrible losses. Florida this year and Tampa. Florida had bookend Presidents trophy’s around ours we should have won that one but that wasn’t a bad team.

It’s funny there is one series over that entire period where I thought we’re screwed they are better and that’s Canucks 2011. Won that one. I knew we’d win game 7 when I went to it though.

The rest of those losses just sucked we were better and we folded. So many of them. f***ing Ottawa one year. Islanders with a series vs Montreal in the finals looming. That Philly team that came back was garbage. Tuukka diahreeah. 2019 we played 4 horrible teams and lost the series that matters. Still can’t get over how easy that path was and how we screwed it up. Acciari yelling at the ref so he decided to not call the penalty and Gryzlyk lost it for us.

Colossal underachievement. Then there’s 2015 draft.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He may have been fired by now had he not fleeced the Bruins in 2013. :)

I love Nill. I like Sweeney as well. At some point though these owners may start to wonder why they don't have a championship, but maybe not.

If they are making money, they don't care.

They are businessmen, not fans.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
We’ve lost to so many inferior teams like clockwork every year though. Looking back since 2009 Carolina loss I feel like the Florida teams are the only non terrible losses. Florida this year and Tampa. Florida had bookend Presidents trophy’s around ours we should have won that one but that wasn’t a bad team.

It’s funny there is one series over that entire period where I thought we’re screwed they are better and that’s Canucks 2011. Won that one. I knew we’d win game 7 when I went to it though.

The rest of those losses just sucked we were better and we folded. So many of them. f***ing Ottawa one year. Islanders with a series vs Montreal in the finals looming. That Philly team that came back was garbage. Tuukka diahreeah. 2019 we played 4 horrible teams and lost the series that matters. Still can’t get over how easy that path was and how we screwed it up. Acciari yelling at the ref so he decided to not call the penalty and Gryzlyk lost it for us.

So who are you blaming for this?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
So who are you blaming for this?
Too long a period and too big a body of work to blame players. Sweeneely. Some good deals that didn't work out like Nash and Hall. They aren't clowns but they also started life on third base and should be judged accordinly we aren't the Coyotes. Neither was asked to rebuild us it was to make a good team better and get over the hump.

Again though some horrendous losses. NYI and Carolina series because we stuck with Rask and Ullmark too long were ridiculous. Bruce's fault and then he wins in Vegas. They could have told him to cut the crap the team was mutinying on him at that point.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

I can never forgive them for the 2015 draft

I think about it every day

When people honk at me because I don’t go thru stop lights turning green, it’s not because of I’m reading or doing a text. I’m thinking about the 2015 draft

It haunts me

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I can never forgive them for the 2015 draft

I think about it every day

When people honk at me because I don’t go thru stop lights turning green, it’s not because of I’m reading or doing a text. I’m thinking about the 2015 draft

It haunts me
Luckily you’re not a player. Once Sway signs curse of Ullmark will be gone.

Can’t wait till next years team with Zadorov cleaning guys clocks takes the ice. I get that Chara is a HOF and perfect and all that but it was always lame as f*** that he never went for big hits. I want to see some dudes laid out.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
That's crazy.

The year the Bruins went to the finals against Edmonton, Bourque was the leading scorer on the team. They didn't have a forward that averaged over a point per game. How could they be a player or two away from the team that had prime Gretzky, Messier, Kurri and Fuhr. Even if they were that close, where do you get 2 top players in the non-free agent era?
In 1990 specifically they had a legitimate chance. Gretzky was already in LA by then. The series was 4-1. IIRC game one went into triple OT with an eventual Oilers win. Bourque was an animal. Give the Bruins a couple of players who can be line 2 behind Janney & Neely & that series maybe goes 7 games.

Imagine a Steve Larmer or Tochett etc in that top 6. Major difference.

Sinden wouldn’t do it. Keep the team JUST good enough to cash in the playoff revenue. He took orders well.

Last edited:
Reactions: HustleB

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
"There was always someone better"

Some good memories even when they didn't win the cup but those words are true.

There was always someone better aside the year Timmy T was better.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
"There was always someone better"

Some good memories even when they didn't win the cup but those words are true.

There was always someone better aside the year Timmy T was better.
The problem is now they lose to worse teams which limited this recent run. Carolina 09, Philly 10, Caps 12, Habs 14, Blues 19, Isles 21, panthers 23. Lost to better teams in 08 Habs, 13 Hawks (should have won), 17 sens, 19-20 Tampa, 22 Canes, and 24 Cats. They are the Atlanta Braves / LA Dodgers which is funny because Sox fans have no issues calling the Dodgers chokers, and I would assume many are also Bruins fans

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
The problem is now they lose to worse teams which limited this recent run. Carolina 09, Philly 10, Caps 12, Habs 14, Blues 19, Isles 21, panthers 23. Lost to better teams in 08 Habs, 13 Hawks (should have won), 17 sens, 19-20 Tampa, 22 Canes, and 24 Cats. They are the Atlanta Braves / LA Dodgers which is funny because Sox fans have no issues calling the Dodgers chokers, and I would assume many are also Bruins fans
Define worse teams, they lost because they where not good enough to advance.

Having 25-40 man rosters chocking at the same time is impossible.

No such thing as choking in 5 or seven game series. You lost because you should have lost.

This seasons cup champs proves that point, The oilers were just not good enough to win 4 games.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
In 1990 specifically they had a legitimate chance. Gretzky was already in LA by then. The series was 4-1. IIRC game one went into triple OT with an eventual Oilers win. Bourque was an animal. Give the Bruins a couple of players who can be line 2 behind Janney & Neely & that series maybe goes 7 games.

Imagine a Steve Larmer or Tochett etc in that top 6. Major difference.

Sinden wouldn’t do it. Keep the team JUST good enough to cash in the playoff revenue
. He took orders well.

What makes you think Larmer or Tocchet were available? Why would Chicago or Philly give up players like that in their prime to anyone, let alone Boston? I'm quite sure Sinden absolutely would have done it if he could have gotten any player of that caliber. But they most likely were not available and even if they were they weren't going to free.

The 1990 Bruins had the best record in the regular season. They went to the finals for the second time in 3 years. So I guess Sinden screwed up if he was supposed to keep the team just good enough to make the playoffs.

Ad

Ad

Ad