News Article: Bruins Front Office Confidence Rank

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Opening sentence from an AP story that ran in major newspaper around the country on November 27, 2005:

Now that Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs has the cost certainty he fought so hard for, he expects his club to be thriving in the new world of the NHL salary cap.
Nice research Everett Mike, hope this will open up some eyes for many that want to live in denial.

Reactions: EverettMike

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I think coaches have a lot more stressful job than GMs. Hence, they don't last as long.

There have been some really long-term GMs. Maybe after 10 or 15 years no other GMs want to deal with them anymore. The game itself changes and the long time GM doesn't keep up or can't change his thinking. Or he's just tired of it all.

So yes, they probably do have an expiration date. But its much higher than for coaches.
Coaches, deal with the players on a daily basis and that is why the expiration date is much shorter, and in some cases the coach is the same as when he might have had success, but players get tired of hearing the same voice. Cassidy is a perfect example, players got tired of him got him fired and he moved on and he was a fresh voice and won a cup..

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Better to be part of the “Winning a cup is hard” fandom then the “Everything is terrible” fandom

Smh. So easy to push people into a stereotype when they don't whine as much as they should I guess.
I mean you could just have some expectations for winning.

Maybe be in the group that doesn’t worry about losing their fan card if they call a choke a choke or get on players and management when they don’t get the job done? Praise all you want, just call it like it is. I mean only here would you be called “whining” because you want to win a Cup and anything less really isn’t anything to write home about.

You get the same stuff from many fans whether they are a 1 or 7 seed. They don’t win either way yet the same people make excuses for not winning and defend, it’s weird to me.

If you’re a big fan of great regular season and a round won maybe more power to you. The players certainly don’t feel any sense of accomplishment not sure why we should. The “winning a cup is hard”is a fan creation just letting everyone off the hook.

There are like five posters here who always say everything is terrible so not sure how they factor in exactly.

Can’t win game 7 SCF at home. Can’t win as the greatest team in history. Can’t win more than one round but once in a decade.

I guess people’s definition of success varies

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Maybe be in the group that doesn’t worry about losing their fan card if they call a choke a choke or get on players and management when they don’t get the job done? Praise all you want, just call it like it is. I mean only here would you be called “whining” because you want to win a Cup and anything less really isn’t anything to write home about.

You get the same stuff from many fans whether they are a 1 or 7 seed. They don’t win either way yet the same people make excuses for not winning and defend, it’s weird to me.

If you’re a big fan of great regular season and a round won maybe more power to you. The players certainly don’t feel any sense of accomplishment not sure why we should. The “winning a cup is hard”is a fan creation just letting everyone off the hook.

There are like five posters here who always say everything is terrible so not sure how they factor in exactly.

Can’t win game 7 SCF at home. Can’t win as the greatest team in history. Can’t win more than one round but once in a decade.

The basic facts of the Bruins are regular season warriors, playoff underachievers; consistently competitors, very rarely best in show. Where you sit on the fan continuum depends on much you feel either thankful or frustrated with that. Some are at either extreme, most are somewhere in the middle.

'Twas ever thus.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Maybe be in the group that doesn’t worry about losing their fan card if they call a choke a choke or get on players and management when they don’t get the job done? Praise all you want, just call it like it is. I mean only here would you be called “whining” because you want to win a Cup and anything less really isn’t anything to write home about.You get the same stuff from many fans whether they are a 1 or 7 seed. They don’t win either way yet the same people make excuses for not winning and defend, it’s weird to me.If you’re a big fan of great regular season and a round won maybe more power to you. The players certainly don’t feel any sense of accomplishment not sure why we should. The “winning a cup is hard”is a fan creation just letting everyone off the hook.

This appears to be the problem.

If the Bruins win the Cup, it's a great accomplishment for the players, coaches and management.

It is not an accomplishment for their fans. For some reason you seem to think it is.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
This appears to be the problem.

If the Bruins win the Cup, it's a great accomplishment for the players, coaches and management.

It is not an accomplishment for their fans. For some reason you seem to think it is.
You’re right. Been a fan for 45 years. **** me. How dare I have expectations or felt a sense of accomplishment in 2011 for my then 30 plus years of fandom because MY team won it all

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Yeah I mean I hope to win not sure where this comes from. I don't see where anyone is saying “I hope they have a great regular season next year but don't care about the playoffs. Not me not anyone.
This isn't even a thing except inside an overactive imagination. Go out, talk to a real person.
Well we don't all have to share our neggative emotions in a forum to validate them.
Again this is not real. We all want the cup. Some people don't freak out when we don't get our way because we see no value in it. Anyhow I'm done with this. Its just annoying reading through these threads and constantly reading about how people haven't met the good fan standard based on some weird ass metric like if I've complained enough about this or that. Whatever.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Yeah I mean I hope to win not sure where this comes from. I don't see where anyone is saying “I hope they have a great regular season next year but don't care about the playoffs. Not me not anyone.

This isn't even a thing except inside an overactive imagination. Go out, talk to a real person.

Well we don't all have to share our neggative emotions in a forum to validate them.

Again this is not real. We all want the cup. Some people don't freak out when we don't get our way because we see no value in it. Anyhow I'm done with this. It’s just annoying reading through these threads and constantly reading about how people haven't met the good fan standard based on some weird ass metric like if I've complained enough about this or that. Whatever.
whatever is right. If freaking out is criticizing players and management then guilty as charged. If being pissed when they lose when they should win is freaking out again guilty.. don’t hold them accountable and keep it to yourself if you wanna, no need to post your “whining” on a message board all good. Plenty of people criticize nothing (I know I need to talk to real people) here

Has this team achieved or underachieved the past decade in the playoffs as a whole? The metric is winning. 🏆

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
Overall I think Sweeney is generally a good manager. He is good with contract negotiations, decent with UFA signings. His major downfall is his and his scouting teams ability to identify good players to draft, as well as trade targets IMO. BUT I do like that he is not gun shy and will trade for a bigger name player, but I do think he hesitates to shake up the "core" of our group,

I wish we we throw the bank at Keith Gretzky as an AGM, He was amazing at scouting when he was our head scout.

Neely might as well as be a statue, no idea what he does other than public relations.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
They've had the luxury of being in the Atlantic division. Playing Buff, Ott Mtl, Det and until recently Fla multiple times a year, helps alot. Basically, starting in 2017 its been BOS, TB, TOR then garbage.
Makes it easy to make the playoffs when you've inherited Bergeron, Krecji, Marchand, Pasta, Chara, Rask and you only have to worry about TB and TOR
We've been top 5/6 in the NHL for 16 or 17 seasons. Since the 2013 loss to Chicago we are 1/11 for making the final four/ECFs. That is shamefully bad for such an overall good organization that has something of an inherent advantage over every other team year in year out.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Overall I think Sweeney is generally a good manager. He is good with contract negotiations, decent with UFA signings. His major downfall is his and his scouting teams ability to identify good players to draft, as well as trade targets IMO. BUT I do like that he is not gun shy and will trade for a bigger name player, but I do think he hesitates to shake up the "core" of our group,

I wish we we throw the bank at Keith Gretzky as an AGM, He was amazing at scouting when he was our head scout.

Neely might as well as be a statue, no idea what he does other than public relations.
You clearly just still remember 2015 because he has brought in the following through the draft from last years roster:

Debrusk
Carlo
Swayman
McAvoy
Frederic
Beecher
Lohrei
Poitras

Lysell banging on the door

The following are nhl players on other teams drafted by Sweeney:

Lindgren
Lauzon
Vladar
Lauko

Considering not a single one of those is a top 10 pick and very few are even top 20 it's pretty impressive he found both a franchise dman and Goalie and a bunch of depth for the team

He also brought in both Zacha and Lindholm through trade, pretty good prices for them too.

I think his weakness is identifying UFAs, always overspending on guys aside from Ullmark which was a homerun.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
The 2012 lockout was much much worse for the Bruins because it brought down the cap during a period where the window was wide open for them with stars in their mid to late 20s, and it put them in a bad spot that led to the 2015-17 malaise.

Jacobs should get way more grief for that one because he already had his cap and squeezing the players killed his own franchise for a few years.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad