LeBrun: Bringing in upper echelon goalie is "pretty big priority" for Leafs.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I would think that the pressure of playing in Toronto would send a highly strung guy like Binnington over the edge. As someone who plays in his division and sees him quite a lot, i think the leafs would be better off getting someone else. Ulmark seems like a natural target, except that he is in the Leafs division. Saros would be perfect, but don't know if NSH is willing to let him go, as Askarov is promising, but no sure thing.
You may be right on that for sure. I do think there would be points of contention, similar to guys like Bunting and Kadri in years past. As in, are his antics going to become a distraction??

That said, I do think we need a guy with balls the size of church bells in between the pipes. Someone that can look directly into Steve Simmons face and call him out as the fat slob that he is. I am tired of these unconfident tendy's in Toronto.

Of course Ulmark would be great, I just don't see any world where Boston trades him our way. It would make no sense.

As for Saros, it is just a personal preferance of mine to not have a goaltender under 6Ft tall. I can 100% appreciate his talent, and what he has accomplished over his career. I just don't know if I see the fit. At least not in my eyes.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
He’s a dramatic whiny bitch.

But he is good.
High praise coming from an Avs fan...

And for the record it was reported he had a pretty good dress down by Berube & Armstrong in the summer of 2023 about his antics...he seemed to have taken it to heart as he was wayyy less emotional last year and it resulted in probably his best & most consistent regular season performance to date. He and Hofer have become a pretty elite tandem.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
“Upper echelon” is not what comes to mind when I think of Jordan Binnington.

I mean he's essentially The the entire reason the blues won the cup, people forget they were last place in January.

HE turned that around.

Without him they don't come close to the playoffs let alone win the cup.

HE won the blues that cup.

Gibson + Zegras + Fowler
For
Signed Marner + Liljgren + Robertson + Jarnkrok + pick

Lol

Don't hate this.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Doubt it, and I'd be hesitant to do it anyway even if he is an upgrade because he had some pretty major health issues with blood clots.

I don't think he's untouchable, the Blues look to be trending down.
he's not untouchable, but he's not readily available either. the blues have a good back up in hofer, but he's not ready to take over and the GM has publicly stated he's not trying to bottom out, so just suggesting the blues are "trending down" isn't really anything to tip the scales here. also, just because berube is in toronto doesn't mean he's going to be able to import all the old blues players, which seems to be the only weak premise to looking at binnington here.

binnington currently has a full NTC, which becomes an 18 team modified no-trade clause starting this upcoming season, so he's not moving in the offseason without waiving it and after the season starts, he could still block a toronto trade if he puts them on his list. possible not plausible currently.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
High praise coming from an Avs fan...

And for the record it was reported he had a pretty good dress down by Berube & Armstrong in the summer of 2023 about his antics...he seemed to have taken it to heart as he was wayyy less emotional last year and it resulted in probably his best & most consistent regular season performance to date. He and Hofer have become a pretty elite tandem.
Yeah. I still can’t stand him and am a little extra happy when we beat him but, he is good.

tanti9

Dec 18, 2023
Block buster alert!!!! Marner for Demko foundation with some add ons here and there. I do not think that the Canucks would move Demko unless they were sold on Silovs, but if they were I think the Leafs would be interested in Demko.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
he's not untouchable, but he's not readily available either. the blues have a good back up in hofer, but he's not ready to take over and the GM has publicly stated he's not trying to bottom out, so just suggesting the blues are "trending down" isn't really anything to tip the scales here. also, just because berube is in toronto doesn't mean he's going to be able to import all the old blues players, which seems to be the only weak premise to looking at binnington here.

binnington currently has a full NTC, which becomes an 18 team modified no-trade clause starting this upcoming season, so he's not moving in the offseason without waiving it and after the season starts, he could still block a toronto trade if he puts them on his list. possible not plausible currently.

Maybe it's not Binnington but I do expect Berube to bring over at least a couple of his former Blues players.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I mean he's essentially The the entire reason the blues won the cup, people forget they were last place in January.

HE turned that around.

Once again, I find that hockey fans believe .457 was a "dead last" record 34 games into the season when all the other teams had played 38-40 games. It feels really good to believe the dead last thing too! Plus, you have heard all the men say that's what did happen. Those men wouldn't be math idiots would they?

The Blues were the top team in the Western Conference for wins in the 2010s so the idea that they wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs is counterfactual. They had a great team and they had Jake Allen, one of the shittiest performers I have ever seen, and his abysmal horrorshows were brutally laying waste to the franchise, something had to happen.

Binnington was absolutely a difference maker and no Cup without him and probably Jake would have destroyed a strong team two seasons running, he was putrid. But the "dead last" portrayal is just regurgitating stupid math by stupid men who had a nice hook for hype they could hook you with.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Call me crazy, but if I was the Leafs, I wouldn't take this approach. The Leafs are not winning the cup this year. They need to set themselves up to try and win one next year once JT's money is off the books and Matthews/Nylander contracts have an opportunity to age a bit.

You look at some of the names out there:

- Markstrom - Held by Calgary, unlikely to do business with Treliving.

- Saros - 1 year left before he walks as a UFA or signs what will almost certainly be a terrible contract... not worth it.

- Ullmark - Similar problem to Saros with respect to 1 year remaining, probably wouldn't come to Toronto, and even if he would, how are you going to make that deal with Boston??

- Gibson - Hasn't been good in 5 years, and especially bad the last 2. Has 3 years left at $6.4m. If Anaheim's retaining close to 50%, then maybe it's worth the risk to see if the change of scenery helps, and getting rid of him with 2 years at $3.2m is probably not that difficult.

- Binnington - Is a loose cannon mentally -- not neccessarily a great recipe for success in Toronto's crease. St. Louis not overly eager to part with him.

- Merzlikins - Of his 5 seasons in the NHL, only his first 2 would be considered good.... his 3rd OK, and his last 2, pretty poor... seems like a fair bit of risk there.

To me, the target should be Cam Talbot. Coming off a really solid year, likely to be cheap. Good mentor for Woll... kick the can down the road a bit hoping to find a better fit in goal.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good goalies on this list... especially the top 3... but there's too many "artificial" factors in the way based on the teams that currently hold them (Calgary/Boston), and the timing of Saros' new deal just doesn't work with the Leafs timeline.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Stealth JD

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Do they think they lost because of goaltending? Toronto management is cooked.

How are they acquiring a top 5-7 goalie anyway? Who’s lining up to give them away?

Unless they are talking about the murky middle after the top 5-7 guys where goaltenders can finish anywhere

Reactions: Oryxo

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
It's been mentioned by other Blues fans but last year he turned the corner on concentration. Obviously players around the league make concerted attempts to run him and get him off his game considering recent history. But this year you could see he took that weakness of his head on and made it a strength, it's why he had a strong year and why you hear the Blues fan base strongly supporting him.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Leafs need to add 2 top 4 defensemen, not just 1. A partner for Rielly and another top 4 defenseman that can create offense.
the more i think about it the more i'd prefer Roy and Walker/Carrier rather than a Pesce/Tanev and one of the other 3 ...we always get zone trapped and have zero offense from the blueline, so, maybe more mobility in players that can actually defend is more important than an angry beast type defender (Zadorov).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

HE turned that around.

Don't hate this.

Good thing nothing past that means anything

Post Cup run his CV is veeeery average. But please go all in for Binnington

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad