LeBrun: Bringing in upper echelon goalie is "pretty big priority" for Leafs.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I'd give Philly a call and try to get Hart on the cheap
...the case against that group is pretty weak (you can search the details about a video before/after)
Personally, i think what they did was just nasty though.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Feels like Ullmark to Toronto is a perfect fit but does Boston want to trade with Toronto?

Reactions: StewPete

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Their d is the bigger issue

The real bonkers thing is that scoring has been the real issue in the playoffs. Can't score more than 2 goals, can't score on the powerplay.

The Leafs goalies played OK, and the defense did amazing against Boston. In the first periods of games 5 and 6 the Leafs defense held the Bruins to like 3 shots combined (facing elimination). The scoring let them down.

That's why the attention this time is squarely on the Core 4, as it should be. The coach and GM have been replaced already, the supporting cast has completely turned over, and the blueline did their job.

Reactions: PainForShane

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Trading marner would garnish a good return but it's not so easy with the cap hit.
Nashville would probably be interested.
Calgary could work.
Columbus maybe.

Would Toronto be looking for a multi-player trade ? Marner + for Elvis.M, +Laine/Gaudreau?
Or would it be a straight up Marner for Goalie plus picks?

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Feels like Ullmark to Toronto is a perfect fit but does Boston want to trade with Toronto?
more likely, is Ullmark to another team, then they flip their goalie to us.
this way we likely get a goalie at a lower asset cost, as Boston wants out of Ullmark's contract.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Lebrun was on overdrive yesterday and the Leafs wanted to bring in a "upper echelon name" to help Joseph Woll in goal and said it was a pretty big priority to do so.

Now that statement makes me think of guys like Markstrom who he specifically mentioned, Saros, Binnington who Berube has won with, Ullmark, Merzlikns and Gibson who I believe are good goalies that NEED to get off their teams.

I would want Saros but I think Binnington are more likely because Treliving knows one and Berube knows,and again has won with the other.

Personally I believe, and have believed that this teams main issue isn't the core because lots of teams soend 45-50% of their cap on 4 or 5 players that's common.

I believe the Leafs need 2 things the first is a partner for Reilly.

The 2nd and FAR more important is a goalie, for years Leaf fans have watched guys like Campbell, Mrazek and Samsonov piss away about 15 points every year and crumble in the playoffs like Campbell did in 2021 and 2022.

the Leafs have about 20 million to spend without any trades, they can afford a couple impact moves.

Which goalie do you think ends up in Toronto?
Regarding the bolded, that's simply not true. How many other teams have 4 of the top 10 players with the highest cap hits in the league? None.

Regarding goaltending, Gibson seems like the best option in terms of availability and ability. He doesn't fit Anaheim's rebuilding window and his value has gone down a lot but there's still a young-ish great goalie there.

Saros or Markstrom would be nice too. But I don't think Nashville moves on from Saros until they've seen Askarov in the NHL. Markstrom is older but fits the timeline of a starter for a few years and then handing the net to Woll.

Boston isn't going to trade Ullmark to a likely first round opponent. As much as Binnington makes sense from a Toronto POV, St. Louis isn't going to trade him yet cause they're in a similar position with Hofer as Toronto is with Woll.. deciding if he's the guy or not. Merzlikins f***ing blows.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Good thing nothing past that means anything

Post Cup run his CV is veeeery average. But please go all in for Binnington

You do understand that the Leafs goalie tandem included Samsonov right?

Binnington would be a MASSIVE upgrade

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Regarding the bolded, that's simply not true. How many other teams have 4 of the top 10 players with the highest cap hits in the league? None.

Regarding goaltending, Gibson seems like the best option in terms of availability and ability. He doesn't fit Anaheim's rebuilding window and his value has gone down a lot but there's still a young-ish great goalie there.

Saros or Markstrom would be nice too. But I don't think Nashville moves on from Saros until they've seen Askarov in the NHL. Markstrom is older but fits the timeline of a starter for a few years and then handing the net to Woll.

Boston isn't going to trade Ullmark to a likely first round opponent. As much as Binnington makes sense from a Toronto POV, St. Louis isn't going to trade him yet cause they're in a similar position with Hofer as Toronto is with Woll.. deciding if he's the guy or not. Merzlikins f***ing blows.

I think Merzlikns, like Gibson is on a very VERY bad team

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd give Philly a call and try to get Hart on the cheap
...the case against that group is pretty weak (you can search the details about a video before/after)
Personally, i think what they did was just nasty though.

Knock on the door with S Knight. Panthers need cap room next year and who knows what the cost is for Knight. Hart too but Knight can probably play as early as next season.

Any news on Knight and being on the player assistance program?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Knock on the door with S Knight. Panthers need cap room next year and who knows what the cost is for Knight. Hart too but Knight can probably play as early as next season.

Any news on Knight and being on the player assistance program?
I'd love to get Knight. I think he seemed to have found his game again down the stretch in the AHL and in the playoffs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Merzlikns, like Gibson is on a very VERY bad team

Whoever you try to add in net, you got to fix the D as well. Or you will be attacking him like Freddy. "cost us the game". IMO, both the D and goaltending go hand and hand.

There has been a fair amount of history of fans/media attacking players for the team flaws and the management should have been attacked for leaving those flaws for far too long. Anderson and Kadri are two prime examples. Even Muzzin was targeted but without him, you can clearly see the hole. I said many years ago that hiring a rookie GM learning on the job was a mistake. Most important time in franchise history. "We can and we will" sign them. Dubas clearly thought you can win a cup like the Pens did with Crosby and Malkin. That was an anomaly and a bad past example to try to copy cat.

Not trying to throw jabs. Just trying to give perception from the outside looking in. A goalie I would knock on the door with is S Knight.

Knight, Woll, and maybe someone else like Jones. Then try to get some guys who can force things to the outside on the back end. Rielly needs a stud like Bouchard has (Ekholm).

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Leafs should be going hard after Binnington. Despite the idiotic league wide narratives around him from other fan bases, he’s a winner and he’s got balls. Something the Leafs desperately need. Whether he’s available is another story…
Meh... Berube himself was fed up with Binnington's attitude when they were both in St. Louis.

There's no chance they bring Bennington in Toronto. Guy is inconsistent, unreliable and a time bomb who could become a huge distraction any minute in the huge Toronto market.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Leafs should be going hard after Binnington. Despite the idiotic league wide narratives around him from other fan bases, he’s a winner and he’s got balls. Something the Leafs desperately need. Whether he’s available is another story…
He would crumble and it would be hilarious to watch.

• Haha
Reactions: Stealth JD

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
They should probably steer clear of volatile headcases, so Elvis and Binnington should not be considered. Spencer Knight or Markstrom seem like some ideal targets.

• Haha
Reactions: Stealth JD

Bernie Federko

Jun 29, 2018
Do I look nervous?

I like Binnington's mental toughness. Recalling 2019, he got blown out a couple of times in the playoffs and followed those up with one goal games. This past season he was very solid but didn't have that team defence that limited the opponent to 3 or 4 good scoring chances like they did in 2019.

Toronto could do a lot worse.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Gibson needs a change of scenery and the Ducks would probably like to move him now that Dostal has taken over. However, Gibson has a 10 team NTC, and probably doesn’t want to go to the high pressure Toronto market.

Reactions: Rec T

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Yeah I'm steering clear of Binnington if I'm Toronto. Average goaltender buoyed by winning a Cup as a rookie. Though this year was his best full season in the league, of course it's following his worst season in the league so who knows what you're going to get from him. He's been mostly average/not good since winning the Cup though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad