LeBrun: Bringing in upper echelon goalie is "pretty big priority" for Leafs.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
It seems weird to prioritize getting a goalie when you already have a good goalie, but only one legit top 4 dman
We have a good goalie who is only healthy about half a season. And who can't be counted on for 60 games even if he was healthy.. He'll definitely have to be part of a tandem.

But, to your point, a sustainable Rielly partner is probably also high on the priority list.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The real bonkers thing is that scoring has been the real issue in the playoffs. Can't score more than 2 goals, can't score on the powerplay.

The Leafs goalies played OK, and the defense did amazing against Boston. In the first periods of games 5 and 6 the Leafs defense held the Bruins to like 3 shots combined (facing elimination). The scoring let them down.

That's why the attention this time is squarely on the Core 4, as it should be. The coach and GM have been replaced already, the supporting cast has completely turned over, and the blueline did their job.
Their d core is very bad at offense outside of Rielly , probably doesn’t help

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
You've never seen any of his meltdowns? You seem about as sane as Binnington.
You have two posters who are fans of central division rivals of the Blues who have seen Binner live and up close in the playoffs who are saying he’s really f***ing good. It’s pretty easy on this forum to spot the savvy fans who actually watch other teams other than their own from the dopes.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You have two posters who are fans of central division rivals of the Blues who have seen Binner live and up close in the playoffs who are saying he’s really f***ing good. It’s pretty easy on this forum to spot the savvy fans who actually watch other teams other than their own from the dopes.
Alrighty then. You must be an expert. Others must have never seen him play. :laugh:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Do you think Keefe is going to try to bring over some of his former leaf players, too?

Yeah probably at some point, I'm sure there are leaf players he'd like to have in NJ, for example Sheldon Keefe LOVES himself some David Kampf in his life.

Is David Kampf available? I don't know but I know Keefe loves him.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Knock on the door with S Knight. Panthers need cap room next year and who knows what the cost is for Knight. Hart too but Knight can probably play as early as next season.

Any news on Knight and being on the player assistance program?
it was supposedly for OCD and is 'better' now. OCD for a goalie must not be easy, as anyone who knows will try to break their routine and have a negative effect on them.

Not sure Florida would want to deal with us though, and then need to get through or eliminated by their former 'future' #1
But, it would be worth calling anyone with a young potential #1 that may be moveable.
i.e. (bolded as target players)
Buffalo with Luukkonen, and Levi as the future #1
Carolina with Anderson and Kochetkov
Columbus with Merzlikins and Tarasov (though injury concerns)
Utah with Ingram and Vejmelka
Detroit has Husso and Lyon under contract with 2 high end goalie prospects Cossa & Augustine
depending on what the Devils do, i'd try to grab Schmid too
...there is lots out there actually

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Rielly, Morgan
McCabe, Jake
Benoit, Simon
Timmins, Conor
Webber, Cade

That is Toronto's top six...

Even they got the top 3 goaltenders in the NHL, it won't work.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They should probably steer clear of volatile headcases, so Elvis and Binnington should not be considered. Spencer Knight or Markstrom seem like some ideal targets.

You said they should stay away from headcases, and then you suggested Spencer Knight, who by his own admission has mental issues.

He would crumble in Toronto just like Samsonov did.

I wish Spencer Knight all the success in the world, Toronto IS NOT the place for him the pressure would destroy him, or at very least his confidence.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
This is unwise IMO. They should look at improving their D this offseason and give Woll a year to see what he's got. Bring in somebody to push him like Nedeljkovic on a 1 year contract. After Tavares comes off the books next summer, either go hard after a big goalie, or don't because Woll has emerged as a starter.

If you go after the goalie now, you don't have money to fix the D until next summer, and it's hard to say a year out which D while be available via trade and UFA that could be brought in. We know right now which D are free agents and which are available for trade, and it looks like there's something to work with there. Next summer, the options might be worse. I'd rather give Woll his opportunity and bring in somebody to play with Rielly.

Reactions: stl76

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd give Philly a call and try to get Hart on the cheap
...the case against that group is pretty weak (you can search the details about a video before/after)
Personally, i think what they did was just nasty though.

I'm not sure he's allowed to play I've been wondering what happens to him myself he's an RFA but is Philadelphia even allowed to sign him?

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
You said they should stay away from headcases, and then you suggested Spencer Knight, who by his own admission has mental issues.

He would crumble in Toronto just like Samsonov did.

I wish Spencer Knight all the success in the world, Toronto IS NOT the place for him the pressure would destroy him, or at very least his confidence.
I must have been confusing him with someone else. I was thinking Knight's issues were alcohol-related. Sorry about that!

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I'd give Philly a call and try to get Hart on the cheap
...the case against that group is pretty weak (you can search the details about a video before/after)
Personally, i think what they did was just nasty though.
Hart I would assume is VERY very available as the Flyers have Ersson, Fedotov and 1 more year of Cal Petersen in net. They likely plan to just not qualify him after the legal stuff. If I was a betting man, I would say that the Leafs COULD acquire Hart for a 6th or probably even 7th round pick. SHOULD they acquire him, that's the more important question.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
“Upper echelon” is not what comes to mind when I think of Jordan Binnington.

I guess you didn't watch him play this year. Only 4-5 goalies had a better year than he did.

You've never seen any of his meltdowns? You seem about as sane as Binnington.

He's less psycho than Patrick Roy, and he seemed to do ok. I'm guessing me and the guy you've been going back and forth with watched a lot more of Binnington this year than you did. But please tell us more about our own team's goalie.

Brewhouse Sports

June 12th, 2019… a day that will live in infamy.
Dec 16, 2010
We aren't trading Binner for anything less than Knies+

Sorry but it would signal a long scary road for us Blues fans if they were to trade him.

He had a great year this past year and the "antics" all the liberals cry about are pretty much at bay so yay.

We would rather keep our cup winning tendy.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
We aren't trading Binner for anything less than Knies+

Sorry but it would signal a long scary road for us Blues fans if they were to trade him.

He had a great year this past year and the "antics" all the liberals cry about are pretty much at bay so yay.

We would rather keep our cup winning tendy.
Agreed there are not any good prospect in leafs pool. We dont need firsts we need young players ready to step in.

I doubt this is a serious offer.

But I would tend toward accepting that if it's really on the table.
Why

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hart I would assume is VERY very available as the Flyers have Ersson, Fedotov and 1 more year of Cal Petersen in net. They likely plan to just not qualify him after the legal stuff. If I was a betting man, I would say that the Leafs COULD acquire Hart for a 6th or probably even 7th round pick. SHOULD they acquire him, that's the more important question.

Could they though? Like is he allowed to be signed? because he doesn't have a contract

Where have we heard this before?

It was never a priority under Dubas so I'm legitimately not sure what you are talking about.

Lou made it a priority but Dubas never did.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Could they though? Like is he allowed to be signed? because he doesn't have a contract
I assume Treliving would have to talk with Bettman and see if the NHL would punish Toronto for signing Hart. I'm no expert on this but, my guess is Bettman says "we advise you not to do this, but we aren't going to stop you". The Toronto media reacting to Hart signing in Toronto would be wild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad