Pre-Game Talk: Bring on the canucks! (schedule added post#1)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
thornton was what maybe 50% in that last meeting with the canucks, the finger injury, and the dislocated shoulder?

and he still put up 6 points in 5 games.

To be fair, he was riding Patty's hot streak. But he was perfectly effective despite.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I know they wont make the injuries official for us till after the SC but at this time what is our tentative list?

Havlat
Demers

Is that it?

I think something is wrong with Wingo and maybe Jumbo too.

Gomez out with "bumps and bruises" last night too.

"Everyone" has bumps and bruises at this time of year.

hp also has a conflict with the rolling stones on may 8, does it not?

The series will probably be in Vancouver for game 5, so guessing not an issue.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Tomorrow's game will have a big effect on which series (plural) CBC claims, but I don't think VAN/SJ will be high priority for CBC when Toronto is there along with Ottawa AND Montreal. Could just as easily see (in Canada) all of VAN/SJ games on TSN.

Further, even if they went Tues/Thurs in Van, could just as easily see them go Sun/Tues in SJ to go around the AFL game (especially if CBC isn't there to make a request).

They would have to take a late night series though and that would most certainly be this one. Hard to pick Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa if they're on at the same time.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would agree on Jumbo v. Kesler if Kesler were still playing center, and also didn't have Derek Roy on his line. Shutting down Kesler, and his line will be more difficult this time around.

If they put Kesler and Roy together, Pavelski is going to destroy their third line by quite a fair margin.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
sjsharkie 2:23pm via Twitter for iPhone
Just finished Brady's bday party at @Sharks_Ice & stopped by the #sjsharks lockerroom to wish the best equipment guys in the NHL a safe trip

Thorts19 2:15pm via Twitter for BlackBerry®
if the Sharks play how I drive - aggressive, dictate the pace, and shoot a lot - they should do fine against Canucks #roadLove
(This is Joe Thornton's brother/agent)

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
If they put Kesler and Roy together, Pavelski is going to destroy their third line by quite a fair margin.

Seriously. Thornton and Burns can handle Kesler and Roy. Let Marleau and Couture deal with the Sedins which allows Pavelski to go medieval on the Nucks 3rd line.

Thorts19 2:15pm via Twitter for BlackBerry®
if the Sharks play how I drive - aggressive, dictate the pace, and shoot a lot - they should do fine against Canucks #roadLove
(This is Joe Thornton's brother/agent)

Where the hell is he driving? :sarcasm:

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011

Fair point.

Pavs was centering out third line in 2011 though and, for the most part, got manhandled. What do you see going differently this year?

Last edited:

NWShark*

They just have to play their game and outwork them. The Sharks are even five on five in terms of goal differential. Canucks are +2. Both teams are good penalty killers. The Sharks have the better power play overall but the Canucks are going good right now. The Sharks will have to be disciplined and kill those penalties to have a chance. Last time around, the Canucks won on the back of their power play. The Sharks can't allow that and expect the result to be different.

I expect a lot of 3-2 games. Probably not going to be low-scoring but not high-scoring either. If Marleau-Couture-Havlat can match the Sedins, I like the Sharks' chances here. I expect Thornton's line to produce over Kesler's and Pavelski's to produce over Vancouver's 3rd line whatever it may be even if it's centered by Roy.

I have no clue what their advanced stats are defensively but my gut tells me I would rather have THornton, Burns and TJ against the sedins. Burns and TJ should wreck havoc on those 2 physically not to mention Big Joe. Has his defensive play been good this year? To be honest I haven't paid much attention to him this season for some reason...

I think Couture's line could handle Kessler's but Marleau will have to help out on Kessler or maybe take responsibility for him. Physically I think it a matchup he can handle.

Either way, pavs on the 3rd should fare better than last time when the canucks destroyed the Pavs 3rd line. I expect a few goals from our 4th as well. Gomez is a gamer and has always seemed to do well in the playoffs.

I really hope Shep plays though. Watching him last game reaffirmed my belief that he is one the best bottom 6 guys the sharks have right now. Letting him go cold by sitting him in the stands to end the season has been a travesty of bad coaching IMO.

NWShark*

Fair point.

Pavs was centering out third line in 2011 though, for the most part, got manhandled. What do you see going differently this year?

Canucks 3rd line doesn't have the same players. I think they traded at least 1 if not 2 guys from that line. Can't remember the name but I think the one who did the most damage is in Buffalo now.

Also pavs has much better linemates this time around. Last time there was no physical presence on his line. He's got that in spades now with Torres and Wingles. Also with those 2 they are much more skilled and faster. Wasn't the 2011 line Pavs, that soft slow little guy (can't think of his name EDIT: Wellwood!! God he sucks...) and Tory? Yeah this current line would kill them...

Last edited by a moderator:

NWShark*

It's certainly worse, but Hannan on his own is a an anchor. No matter who you pair him with they end upbeing stuck in their own zone more because of him. The man just cannot move the puck up the ice to save his life.

And he never could. The main reason I was glad to see him leave back in the day... no puck skills. He sure was good at pissing off Peter Forsberg though! :laugh:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Fair point.

Pavs was centering out third line in 2011 though, for the most part, got manhandled. What do you see going differently this year?

It's a better matchup. Wellwood-Pavelski-Mitchell slowed play down in that series, couldn't win a board battle, and were dominated physically. Torres-Lapierre-Hansen were quicker overall as a unit and much more physical. This year, we're looking at Torres-Pavelski-Wingels versus Raymond-Lapierre-Hansen if they keep Roy and Kesler together. Raymond is fast but not a physical presence and has also had problems being a player in the playoffs. Torres and Wingels are supremely better at handling physicality and playing along the boards than Wellwood and Mitchell.

I have no clue what their advanced stats are defensively but my gut tells me I would rather have THornton, Burns and TJ against the sedins. Burns and TJ should wreck havoc on those 2 physically not to mention Big Joe. Has his defensive play been good this year? To be honest I haven't paid much attention to him this season for some reason...

I think Couture's line could handle Kessler's but Marleau will have to help out on Kessler or maybe take responsibility for him. Physically I think it a matchup he can handle.

Either way, pavs on the 3rd should fare better than last time when the canucks destroyed the Pavs 3rd line. I expect a few goals from our 4th as well. Gomez is a gamer and has always seemed to do well in the playoffs.

I really hope Shep plays though. Watching him last game reaffirmed my belief that he is one the best bottom 6 guys the sharks have right now. Letting him go cold by sitting him in the stands to end the season has been a travesty of bad coaching IMO.

The problem with Thornton's line is that they're not all that defensively aware and having that go against the Sedins is asking for trouble. Help on the wings defensively is required to match up against the Sedins. Galiardi is not quick enough at processing his reads in the defensive zone and Burns is not aware of most anything other than puck and hitting someone in the defensive zone. Not much for anticipation.

Couture's line should match up well regardless of their opponent. They're just that good overall even though they haven't been creating opportunity after opportunity offensively. They're just better offensively than what they allow defensively. I trust them with Vlasic and Braun over Thornton's line against the Sedins.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I don't even need to get into advanced stats, the coaches want Couture-Marleau against the Sedins. The coaches want Couture-Marleau against Datsyuk, against Kopitar, against Toews, etc. That's just how it works in SJ today.

NWShark*

It's too bad that both teams can't come to agreement to only ice four players when their fourth lines are out so we don't have to see Gomez/Ebbett hit the ice.

It's a real shame that Wilson traded away Clowe/Murray. Regardless of their form prior to the trades, the roster would be a contender. And many PP's would've come Vancouver's way.

Huh? Gomez is the best 4th line center in the playoffs... I don't know about Ebbet but we want Gomez out there especially against the Couv's 4th and probably 3rd line too. :yo:

NWShark*

I don't even need to get into advanced stats, the coaches want Couture-Marleau against the Sedins. The coaches want Couture-Marleau against Datsyuk, against Kopitar, against Toews, etc. That's just how it works in SJ today.

Yeah I know what they've been doing but this is a different team than those you named. I think they could run the matchup I suggested and have better success offensively. Although there's something to be said for making Kessler play D against Joe and Burns. Gotta be tiring to work against those 2 big boys.

I'm sure your right in how the coaches will play them I'm jus speculating that there might be another way.

sharkie88

Dec 30, 2006
It hasn't even been 24 hours since this series was set and my blood is already boiling! The Canucks' fans on the main board are maddeningly arrogant.

To those among us who are brave enough to venture over there and defend our guys, keep up the good work! :yo:

NWShark*

It's a better matchup. Wellwood-Pavelski-Mitchell slowed play down in that series, couldn't win a board battle, and were dominated physically. Torres-Lapierre-Hansen were quicker overall as a unit and much more physical. This year, we're looking at Torres-Pavelski-Wingels versus Raymond-Lapierre-Hansen if they keep Roy and Kesler together. Raymond is fast but not a physical presence and has also had problems being a player in the playoffs. Torres and Wingels are supremely better at handling physicality and playing along the boards than Wellwood and Mitchell.

Oh crap it was torres on that line for the canucks, I totally didn't remember that. Well then the shoe is definely on the other foot now. I expect Torres to have a monster playoff due to the fact that Pavs is probably one of the best center men he's had a chance to play with in a long time, if not his career.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

Yep. It's just how both coaches roll. Not even sure if the last-change will even be that significant in this series, at least for the top-2 lines. Home or away, AV will want to start the Sedins in the o-zone as much as possible and Kesler in the defense zone to shut-down the other teams lines. TMac likes to start Thornton's line in the offensive zone, and Couture's line in the defensive zone for the shut-down. The lines just match up to Couture vs Sedin and Thornton vs Kesler.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I'm quite certain the series isn't going to be decided on who is the right wing on the fourth line.

It's the playoffs, the quest for the Cup. No excuse whatsoever to not ice the best team possible to win each and every game, period.

NewNameWhosThis

i'm not even mad
May 24, 2008
Why are some of you so pessimistic about a Nucks series? IMO, it's our best matchup out of all the West teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad