Pre-Game Talk: Bring on the canucks! (schedule added post#1)

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
The first chance he gets, Torres should charge that POS stanchion and take it out for the rest of the series.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
HP Pavilion has a Sabrecats game scheduled for 5/4 (evening).

With Vancouver the only Western Canada team, I can see CBC HNIC pushing to get that AFL game moved to the afternoon so Sharks-Canucks can be featured as the late game.

Tomorrow's game will have a big effect on which series (plural) CBC claims, but I don't think VAN/SJ will be high priority for CBC when Toronto is there along with Ottawa AND Montreal. Could just as easily see (in Canada) all of VAN/SJ games on TSN.

Further, even if they went Tues/Thurs in Van, could just as easily see them go Sun/Tues in SJ to go around the AFL game (especially if CBC isn't there to make a request).

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
The first chance he gets, Torres should charge that POS stanchion and take it out for the rest of the series.

:handclap:

I know it's bad form to be messaging on opposing fan's boards, but here is to a good series, before the bad blood starts. :cheers:

Plus, I can rest easy knowing that I'll be cheering for whoever comes out the winner, with Brentwood Bay native Irwin on the team. (Plus, the "choker" label our teams share is irksome).

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Sharks historically seem to get screwed out of playing on the opening day of the playoffs (Although a lot of that is when the Sharks had home ice year after year but still had many things booked at HP). Another possibility as to LS' thought about CBC HNIC is for the NHL to go Thurs/Sat in VAN. I don't like it, but it would be typical NHL to have the Sharks in the lone series that starts Thursday. (I assume there is no Rogers Arena conflict on 5/4?)

NWShark*

Great matchup for the sharks! Maybe the best possible other than the redwings or minnesota. They shouldn't even be considered an underdog because Vancouver plays in such a cupcake division. This should be over in 5 unless their goalie stands on his head similar to anderson a few years for colorado. THis isn't the same sharks team that lost in 5 in the WCF and that certainly isn't the same Canucks team. THe sharks should be rested and hungry and the way they've played (when motivated) since the trade deadline will be too much for the Canucks. Key difference from a couple years is better play in net, better defensive strategy on the sedins and better overall defensive core. Burns will also be too big for the Canucks to handle in this series. He's a gamer and I expect him to be good for 1.5 points a game in the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
Many Canucks fans were hoping for the Sharks.

I was not one of them, we are very similar teams and I think it will come down to the goalies play.

Good luck against us and if you beat us I will be chearing for you, after all we all know the cup goes through Vancouver.

It just never stops there!:cry:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Tomorrow's game will have a big effect on which series (plural) CBC claims, but I don't think VAN/SJ will be high priority for CBC when Toronto is there along with Ottawa AND Montreal. Could just as easily see (in Canada) all of VAN/SJ games on TSN.

Further, even if they went Tues/Thurs in Van, could just as easily see them go Sun/Tues in SJ to go around the AFL game (especially if CBC isn't there to make a request).

CBC/TSN -- I think they can get game by game, not necessarily an entire series. But I can see CBC pushing to have the Vancouver-involved series if for no other reason than they'll have a "late" game with a Canadian team.

Sharks historically seem to get screwed out of playing on the opening day of the playoffs (Although a lot of that is when the Sharks had home ice year after year but still had many things booked at HP). Another possibility as to LS' thought about CBC HNIC is for the NHL to go Thurs/Sat in VAN. I don't like it, but it would be typical NHL to have the Sharks in the lone series that starts Thursday. (I assume there is no Rogers Arena conflict on 5/4?)

Rogers Arena has lone conflict 5/12.

For those inclined, my Twitter list of all things Canucks: https://twitter.com/IceBergPix/wc-nw-vancouver-canucks

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
are the Canucks healthy now? haven't been following them much this season

For the most part. David Booth is done for the year, Chris Tanev is questionable for Game 1 but has skated on his own, leading to believe he may be back sometime during the first round. The wild card is Schneider and his undisclosed injury - he and Gillis both said he'd be fine for Game 1, but now there's rumblings from media types that he may not be.

Do you guys have an idea of what your starting lineup will look like for Game 1? Ours should be something to the effect of...

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Roy - Kesler
Raymond - Lapierre - Hansen
Sestito/Pinizzotto/Weise - Ebbett - Kassian

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Bieksa
Alberts - Corrado

Schneider/Luongo

The Canucks are expected to recall some extra bodies from the Chicago Wolves. Of those, the only possible substitution I might expect would be Jordan Schroeder subbing in in place of Andrew Ebbett. But I mustn't get my hopes up. :laugh:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
For the most part. David Booth is done for the year, Chris Tanev is questionable for Game 1 but has skated on his own, leading to believe he may be back sometime during the first round. The wild card is Schneider and his undisclosed injury - he and Gillis both said he'd be fine for Game 1, but now there's rumblings from media types that he may not be.

Do you guys have an idea of what your starting lineup will look like for Game 1? Ours should be something to the effect of...

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Roy - Kesler
Raymond - Lapierre - Hansen
Sestito/Pinizzotto/Weise - Ebbett - Kassian

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Bieksa
Alberts - Corrado

Schneider/Luongo

The Canucks are expected to recall some extra bodies from the Chicago Wolves. Of those, the only possible substitution I might expect would be Jordan Schroeder subbing in in place of Andrew Ebbett. But I mustn't get my hopes up. :laugh:

For us it sounds like Demers is out, sprained ankle, likely won't see him the first round sadly, which means Hannan, who is terribad. They SHOULD ice Tennyson, but they won't, cause our coaches are bone heads.

Galiardi - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Havlat
Torres - Pavelski - Wingels
Desjardins - Gomez - Burish

Irwin - Boyle
Vlasic - Braun
Stuart - Hannan/Demers/Tennyson

vilpertti

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
Having watched the games where Hannan has played, I can't understand the notion that he's terribad. Sure, he's not a top4 but it's not like we have a Semenov there.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
Having watched the games where Hannan has played, I can't understand the notion that he's terribad. Sure, he's not a top4 but it's not like we have a Semenov there.

Hannan+Stuart=Disaster

As long as they are together, they are both terribad.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Agreed. Hannan has looked fine on his own when not paired with Stuart. Matching those two up feels like having Murray as an anchor back on the team.

It's certainly worse, but Hannan on his own is a an anchor. No matter who you pair him with they end upbeing stuck in their own zone more because of him. The man just cannot move the puck up the ice to save his life.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
It's too bad that both teams can't come to agreement to only ice four players when their fourth lines are out so we don't have to see Gomez/Ebbett hit the ice.

It's a real shame that Wilson traded away Clowe/Murray. Regardless of their form prior to the trades, the roster would be a contender. And many PP's would've come Vancouver's way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad