Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
what is the projected lineup of b'port as of today ?

we were discussing this in the Petrov thread, and this is probably the starting line up.

Whitney-Quine-Wright
Florek-Kearns-Collberg
Halmo-Leblanc-Vaive
Johnston-Holmstrom-Gomes

Pelech-Pulock
Graham-Mayfield
Church-Burroughs

Poulin
Williams

MickVukota Moscow

Dec 13, 2013
Moscow
Florek-Quine-Whitney
Halmo-Leblanc-Collberg
Vaive -Root- Markison / Kearns
Johnston- Ben Holmstrom-Wright

Pelech-Pulock
Graham-Mayfield
Church-Burroughs

Williams
Milner

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
i guess they still have faith in Poulin? a knee injury is hard to recover from said:
Is Poulin signed for this coming season? Did he have a major knee injury like acl?
Thanks in advance...

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Is Poulin signed for this coming season? Did he have a major knee injury like acl?
Thanks in advance...

It's up to Poulin.

We suspect he wants to do something else, but may not have the options.

We're assuming that Williams and Milner will form the pair they enter the season with.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Is it just me or are the Tigers looking incredibly thin this year? Looking at that line up, there is very little there for the Islanders to call up in case of injuires. Wonder if Snow will sign a couple more tweeners so he can get a little more depth for the season

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
Is it just me or are the Tigers looking incredibly thin this year? Looking at that line up, there is very little there for the Islanders to call up in case of injuires. Wonder if Snow will sign a couple more tweeners so he can get a little more depth for the season

I actually think the forward group is decent, Wright or Florek can come up and play if needed. Quine could too, Collberg maybe as well.

D and goalie depth is what concerns me a bit. Poulin is not signed. If he doesn't sign I can see a veteran AHL goalie with NHL experience signed in training camp.

For D I would've liked to have seen someone like Colby Robak signed.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I actually think the forward group is decent, Wright or Florek can come up and play if needed. Quine could too, Collberg maybe as well.

D and goalie depth is what concerns me a bit. Poulin is not signed. If he doesn't sign I can see a veteran AHL goalie with NHL experience signed in training camp.

also,we are likely to have Petrov starting with BP.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I don't think so. It's been speculated that he is here to play in NHL, even if that means he is the extra forward/ healthy scratch.

i speculate that that speculation is mere speculation.

they aren't going with 14 forwards and Petrov is much more likely to go down than Grabner is.

if Grabner gets moved (or Nielsen or KO), then yes, Petrov will likely be the 13th F. till then, he is BP bound.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
i speculate that that speculation is mere speculation.

they aren't going with 14 forwards and Petrov is much more likely to go down than Grabner is.

if Grabner gets moved (or Nielsen or KO), then yes, Petrov will likely be the 13th F. till then, he is BP bound.

We'll just have to see. Ideally, Petrov is open to at least start the season in BPort until he's good and ready.

I still just cannot imagine that he and his agent signed for less money to come over and play in a league that - at least up to now - has spent the past 5 some seasons being more or less inferior to the KHL in a 'glamor' and 'pro atmosphere' aspect. I mean sheesh, what he's experienced as a player in Kazan in recent years is LIGHT YEARS away from busin' it in the bone-breaking AHL.

But maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong.

I also tend to believe Petrov at 25/26 is simply very NHL-ready, but ideally he'd spend 20 games adjusting accordingly on the farm and then be VERY NHL ready when injuries hit.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

I agree. The forward group is just fine right now. Even like a couple of the ECHLers who are looking like forwards 13-16. Some might be very AHL-capable.

Both the defense and goaltending are interesting due to the fact that much are young and unproven. We want them getting plenty of playing time. Still, I just cannot see this blueline surviving well without at least one steadying, veteran presence. Gosh darn young and inexperienced!

Nonetheless, I do want Mayfield, Pulock, and Pelech being amongst the top four and getting all those types of minutes.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
I agree. The forward group is just fine right now. Even like a couple of the ECHLers who are looking like forwards 13-16. Some might be very AHL-capable.

Both the defense and goaltending are interesting due to the fact that much are young and unproven. We want them getting plenty of playing time. Still, I just cannot see this blueline surviving well without at least one steadying, veteran presence. Gosh darn young and inexperienced!

Nonetheless, I do want Mayfield, Pulock, and Pelech being amongst the top four and getting all those types of minutes.

Hard to see all three being down in Bridgeport this season. It seems as if the Isles feel the time is now for either Pulock or Mayfield to get NHL regular season experience on a good team. There will be growing pains and rookie struggles but those will happen no matter when you play them. They got to start somewhere.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Hey guys question. Do you think Johnston is strictly going to be an AHL goon or is there potential for a guy who could be a serviceable NHL grinder?

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
We'll just have to see. Ideally, Petrov is open to at least start the season in BPort until he's good and ready.

I still just cannot imagine that he and his agent signed for less money to come over and play in a league that - at least up to now - has spent the past 5 some seasons being more or less inferior to the KHL in a 'glamor' and 'pro atmosphere' aspect. I mean sheesh, what he's experienced as a player in Kazan in recent years is LIGHT YEARS away from busin' it in the bone-breaking AHL.

But maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong.

I also tend to believe Petrov at 25/26 is simply very NHL-ready, but ideally he'd spend 20 games adjusting accordingly on the farm and then be VERY NHL ready when injuries hit.

i hear you. i seriously have no opinion on Petrov being NHL worthy. i have seen very little of him, so i only base my guess on the fact that we have too many NHL forwards, and he is on a two way. a lot can happen in the next few months, so who knows.

i think it is almost imperative to get a seasoned vet between the pipes. i can live with the youthful D, but we really should not be relying on Williams to carry the load.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Hey guys question. Do you think Johnston is strictly going to be an AHL goon or is there potential for a guy who could be a serviceable NHL grinder?

I'd put 80% down on the first, but there's always the possibility of the second. If Matt Martin were out for the year for some reason, I'd think Mike Halmo would be ahead of Johnston first but he'd be second to fill the toughness role.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Hard to see all three being down in Bridgeport this season. It seems as if the Isles feel the time is now for either Pulock or Mayfield to get NHL regular season experience on a good team. There will be growing pains and rookie struggles but those will happen no matter when you play them. They got to start somewhere.

I believe Snow will be adding another Dman before opening night.

May be a UFA.

May come through a trade.

May be a waiver wire pick-up.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Is Mayfield ahead of Pelech? Mayfield had a couple decent playoff games with us and now everyone thinks he is like CDH or something... I think Pelech is still better than Mayfield right now. All Mayfield did was keep his game super simple....that's why he looked like he was doing a great job..I mean he did, keeping any fancy stuff locked up. Pelech, to me, has more upside both on the defensive end and offensive end...but hey...that's my opinion.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Is Mayfield ahead of Pelech? Mayfield had a couple decent playoff games with us and now everyone thinks he is like CDH or something... I think Pelech is still better than Mayfield right now. All Mayfield did was keep his game super simple....that's why he looked like he was doing a great job..I mean he did, keeping any fancy stuff locked up. Pelech, to me, has more upside both on the defensive end and offensive end...but hey...that's my opinion.

Major difference - Mayfield is a righty shot.

In addition, Pelech doesn't even have a full year of pro play under his belt.

The arrival time for Mayfield is surely ahead of that of Pelech. Don't know who is better in 5 year's time.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013

I've watched about 40 BST games this summer so I'll give you my take. Mayfield and Pelech are similar in their puck handling and shooting abilities. Pelech may be slightly better actually. They are close in skating speed and both play conservative games.

The big difference between them is that Mayfield plays a much more physical game. He tends to punish guys along the boards and clears the crease well. Pelech much less so. Even though Mayfield is only listed as 2 inches taller he looks much bigger than Pelech and he plays bigger. Mayfield has a nastiness to his game that none of our other d-prospects really have.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
According to Staples, Carkner will be signing an AHL deal with BP and possibly be used in a player/coach role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad