Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
End of 2nd.

BST 0 - IceCaps 0
Shots: BST 26 - IceCaps 8

Bridgeport dominating but Tokarski in goal for the IceCaps is having a great game. IceCaps are fast and always dangerous with odd-man breaks.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Final: BST 3 - 2 IceCaps

It was 0 - 0 until late in the third, then both teams started scoring. IceCaps tied it with 1 second left to go. Eventually went to a shootout-- 9 rounds.

Overall good game by BST although not the best game for Mayfield and Pulock, both of whom were on for goals against. Petrov just looked okay today, not very noticeable.

Whitney is a tiny beast. If he wasn't a midget he'd be in the NHL. Best skater today by far.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Final: BST 3 - 2 IceCaps

It was 0 - 0 until late in the third, then both teams started scoring. IceCaps tied it with 1 second left to go. Eventually went to a shootout-- 9 rounds.

Overall good game by BST although not the best game for Mayfield and Pulock, both of whom were on for goals against. Petrov just looked okay today, not very noticeable.

Whitney is a tiny beast. If he wasn't a midget he'd be in the NHL. Best skater today by far.

thanks for the report!

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I've seen some indirect commentary on him but I'm wondering if anyone can focus on Pelech and how he's doing so far. If the Isles wanted to maintain consistency as far as handness, he's the next up as far as LHD.

Has he shown that he's perhaps ready for at least a look with the big club?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Against St. John's IceCaps:
The Soundtigers lost 5-4 in the first game, then won 4-3 in the shootout in the second game. Based on the highlights above (thanks Taz62), looks like those were some fun games to watch.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I've seen some indirect commentary on him but I'm wondering if anyone can focus on Pelech and how he's doing so far. If the Isles wanted to maintain consistency as far as handness, he's the next up as far as LHD.

Has he shown that he's perhaps ready for at least a look with the big club?

No replies yet? I'll give you my scouting report. My credentials are that I've watched all of the BST games this year and the majority of the games from last year.

It's hard to talk about Pelech without mentioning Mayfield. They are attached at the hip, and Thompson views them as their shutdown pairing. Thompson had great things to say about both of them at the end of last season, suggesting they'll have a long career in the NHL (eventually). They get all of the tough PK minutes, and the critical shifts when BST is stuck in their own end late in the game.

Basically Pelech is a smaller, less physical, but more mobile version of Mayfield. Keep in mind he is only 21 with one year of pro experience (that's one year less than Mayfield and two years younger) so he is still developing.

Pelech's bread and butter is to make the safe play and not get caught out of position. A responsible defenseman without much flash. He is mobile but not blazing, and rarely makes long rushes. He can be physical when needed but he is not the punisher that Mayfield is. Not at this point at least.

Would he be better than Strait? At this point, honestly, I don't think so. (And that pains me to say.) Having only one year of pro experience I would expect a pretty long adjustment period. It wouldn't be a disaster, and I'm sure it would be great for his development, but I wouldn't expect an instant upgrade.

scott99

May 13, 2005
No replies yet? I'll give you my scouting report. My credentials are that I've watched all of the BST games this year and the majority of the games from last year.

It's hard to talk about Pelech without mentioning Mayfield. They are attached at the hip, and Thompson views them as their shutdown pairing. Thompson had great things to say about both of them at the end of last season, suggesting they'll have a long career in the NHL (eventually). They get all of the tough PK minutes, and the critical shifts when BST is stuck in their own end late in the game.

Basically Pelech is a smaller, less physical, but more mobile version of Mayfield. Keep in mind he is only 21 with one year of pro experience (that's one year less than Mayfield and two years younger) so he is still developing.

Pelech's bread and butter is to make the safe play and not get caught out of position. A responsible defenseman without much flash. He is mobile but not blazing, and rarely makes long rushes. He can be physical when needed but he is not the punisher that Mayfield is. Not at this point at least.

Would he be better than Strait? At this point, honestly, I don't think so. (And that pains me to say.) Having only one year of pro experience I would expect a pretty long adjustment period. It wouldn't be a disaster, and I'm sure it would be great for his development, but I wouldn't expect an instant upgrade.
This is very interesting and being that you've seen every Soundtiger's game, I'll defer to you. But to my old eyes, every time I've watched Pelech and Mayfield, in juniors and college respectively, I've always felt Mayfield was a better skater. And that's just from what I've watched. I've seen them in Islander's rookie scrimmages and felt the same way, that Mayfield looked to be the better skater. That being said, I like both prospects A LOT. I think Pelech is a safer player, he's not flashy, just solid defensively. Mayfield I feel will be a boom or bust prospect. I think he can bring more to the table if he works out. Also, you mentioned you think at this moment Pelech wouldn't be an improvement over Strait, and I respect that comment. He's 21 and needs more seasoning. I do feel, Mayfield would be an improvement over Strait right now. He proved to me in the playoffs more than Strait has in 3 seasons.

wellsZe

Feb 19, 2015

OT: Congrats to Tage Thompson (son of sound tiger HC Brent Thompson)

Tage got his 1st Hat trick and all PP goals for UConn beating ranked #7 BU.

I hope the islanders draft him. Everyone check out a UConn game @ the XL in Hartford.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

OT: Congrats to Tage Thompson (son of sound tiger HC Brent Thompson)

Tage got his 1st Hat trick and all PP goals for UConn beating ranked #7 BU.

I hope the islanders draft him. Everyone check out a UConn game @ the XL in Hartford.

He was actually born on Long Island. I think he played for Pat LaFontain youth hockey team. He's a big kid. Could be drafted in the later rounds.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
He was actually born on Long Island. I think he played for Pat LaFontain youth hockey team. He's a big kid. Could be drafted in the later rounds.

I know a little bit about him and honestly I think he's going to go high. Big kid with pro pedigree and good hands. On top of all that he's playing ncaa hockey a year early, I would not be shocked if he is a 1st rounder. Not many kids play ncaa hockey a year early and if he puts up points he's gonna go really high.

wellsZe

Feb 19, 2015
I know a little bit about him and honestly I think he's going to go high. Big kid with pro pedigree and good hands. On top of all that he's playing ncaa hockey a year early, I would not be shocked if he is a 1st rounder. Not many kids play ncaa hockey a year early and if he puts up points he's gonna go really high.

See tage play @ Barclays this Sun 11/1/15 . Hockey East game UConn vs Norte Dame and Bentley vs Army.
Double header of college hockey before the Sabres vs isles game @ 7:30

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Just finished watching Wed night's game.

BST 1 - SPR 5 (Two empty net goals)

Game was close until late in the 3rd, although SPG deserved to win. BPT defense was looking weak, partly because Mayfield was out and BPT's #7D was struggling, also because BPT was playing sloppy for most of the game.

Overall good game for Pulock. He continues to fire away with that elite shot (rang the post on the PP). He also looked good on a few plays in his d-zone. Carkner and Graham couldn't keep up with Lessio (SPR LW). Lessio tried to skate around Pulock in the 2nd but couldn't turn him, tried agin in the 3rd and Pulock poked the puck away.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Sorry Scott, you know nobody ever listens to me :cry:
At least got to see a 3-2 Bridgeport win, Albany Devils play like the big team, could have used some No Doz. Tiny crowd in Albany, not even sure they had 2,000.

Sometimes watching games with tiny crowds is fun. Glad Bridgeport won this one.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Sometimes watching games with tiny crowds is fun. Glad Bridgeport won this one.

Times Union Center has roughly the same seating capacity as Barclay's Center. The arean was both empty and quiet.

Have tickets when the Sound Tigers are in Utica on November 21. Went to the War Memorial Auditrium two years ago when Bridgeport was there, a tiny fun place that seats less than 4,000. Coolest thing is that part of the movie Slapshot was filmed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad