Value of: Brett Pesce

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
How close are Morrow and Nikishin to being ready for the NHL? Cause I imagine it gets a lot easier to let someone like Pesce walk when you know you can pencil two young, stud d men into the lineup in the near future.

Nikishin’s KHL contract is up in 2025. He could likely handle 2nd pair minutes now, but have to wait til his deal is done.

They tried signing Morrow this offseason, but he elected to go back to UMass for his junio season. Not sure if this was related to the Canes’ AHL affiliation in limbo, no potential NHL playing time likely available with Burns-Pesce-Chatfield currently on the NHL roster or other reason. Morrow is perhaps a late season addition to next year’s roster, or most likely, signed next March/April and has a shot at a roster spot in 24-25.

No immediate help coming on D unless the Canes are really high on Anttoni Honka or Aleksi Heimosalmi.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton have no cap space to make this one

Clearly Holland would have to make room for a trade like that and for a player like Pesce he *should*.

After the other RFA and UFA contracts have been sorted out by the Oilers GM he can decide who will be trade targets and cap casualties. I think young players like Broberg and prospects like Bourgault are available now whereas last year they absolutely weren't.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
How close are Morrow and Nikishin to being ready for the NHL? Cause I imagine it gets a lot easier to let someone like Pesce walk when you know you can pencil two young, stud d men into the lineup in the near future.
Nikishin is ready now but still has one more year under his KHL contract.

Morrow is a tough question. I thought he was ready to make the jump after last season but I don't have a problem with him going back to UMass to keep working on his two-way game. He'll probably need a bit of AHL time to adjust but probably not a full seasons worth.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
seems terrible for the canes. If he doesn't come over into 2026 the canes will have half their window gone.
lol not really, Pesce is an extremely solid player to have but hardly irreplaceable, Canes would just use the cap space on someone else in the meantime and Michkov would be a game changer who will extend the window significantly.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
You knew the answer to this before you posted it.

Heck no
Do the Leafs have the assets to get a deal done here (without including Matthews, Knies and Tavares) or is there no trade to be had between the two?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
lol not really, Pesce is an extremely solid player to have but hardly irreplaceable, Canes would just use the cap space on someone else in the meantime and Michkov would be a game changer who will extend the window significantly.

By the time Michov makes an impact burns with be gone and Slavin will be 32. Canes have a great defense and I think you overestimate how easy it is to get that. The canes should be in win now not making moves they hope pay off in 3 years.

They also only have 1-2 more years left of cheap Jarvis and Necas

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Would a Seguin (some difference retained, real dollars is less than cap) for a Pesce (assume extension) be workable?

• Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
seems terrible for the canes. If he doesn't come over into 2026 the canes will have half their window gone.

I am sorry, but you are saying it would be terrible for the Canes to get Michkov back for Pesce?

Pesce is getting wildly overrated if that's what you meant.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
What's a realistic extension for Pesce in terms of AAV? Is he going to look for 6.25M, in that Ekholm / Sanheim range?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I am sorry, but you are saying it would be terrible for the Canes to get Michkov back for Pesce?

Pesce is getting wildly overrated if that's what you meant.

What I am saying is a team in win now shouldn't be gambling on a guy who won't be with them for 3 years. Although I did not realize Pesce had 1 year left on his deal.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
What I am saying is a team in win now shouldn't be gambling on a guy who won't be with them for 3 years. Although I did not realize Pesce had 1 year left on his deal.

That's just insane to me. Win now doesn't mean avoid really positive trades. Michkov for Pesce would be larceny and probably a defining trade of the org moving forward. He's really, really good.

Pesce is good, too, but not "turn down potential franchise goal scorer with 7 years of control" good.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
That's just insane to me. Win now doesn't mean avoid really positive trades. Michkov for Pesce would be larceny and probably a defining trade of the org moving forward. He's really, really good.

Pesce is good, too, but not "turn down potential franchise goal scorer with 7 years of control" good.

Ya I get it. I retract and no one is making that trade for 1 year of Peace anyways so the point is mute. It is just weird to me that the canes aren't focus on winning now. So many teams want the next star instead of making the trades to win now. Like Edmonton has the best player in the last decade and hasn't done crap.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
RNH + Ceci . RNH probably blocks the trade but I feel this helps both teams. Pesce would have to be willing to extend.

Nurse Pesce
Ekholm Bouchard
Kulak Broberg

D would be much better.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
RNH + Ceci . RNH probably blocks the trade but I feel this helps both teams. Pesce would have to be willing to extend.

Nurse Pesce
Ekholm Bouchard
Kulak Broberg

D would be much better.

There is no way RNH is going anywhere, even to a nice place like Carolina. He signed here long term and controls his destiny with a full NMC. Ain't happenin' gang

Reactions: DaveG

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
What's a realistic extension for Pesce in terms of AAV? Is he going to look for 6.25M, in that Ekholm / Sanheim range?
I’d say yes. Lindholm and Weegar make around that and they’re all comparable in terms of value imo.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Not the kind of deal the Canes would be looking for. Not that we wanted to move Pesce, but if this change of agents marks the end for him in Carolina, we're probably looking to move him for a scoring W or a 2C. Adding to Pesce as necessary to get the better player in return.

Edmonton? There's probably nothing to talk about if RNH isn't going the other way.

If you want scoring wingers, Canucks have them in spades for a guy like Pesce. In fact Canucks can give you 2 young ones in Garland and Hoglander for services of Pesce

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I'm sure someone would give him more if he hit free agency tbh.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Canes fans are in disagreement about how important Pesce is. I’m one of those that thinks he’s pretty crucial and makes whoever he plays with look good defensively, and while they’ll replace him with someone if they have to it’s going to be a downgrade - which could be the actual closing of our window since we’re such a defense first team. Chatfield is somehow being considered by some of the fans as a viable replacement. He does not have the look of a viable replacement to this point. He’s a quality third pair guy.

So yes, trading Pesce for Michkov does not seem to be a remotely sensible move for the Canes at this point. It would be sabotaging next season unless Pesce is somehow being replaced by an upgrade that isn’t killing the cap.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad