Value of: Brett Pesce

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
so if you had a team and could start from scratch and you could only pick 1 0f 3 players to build your team around. Are you telling me youd choose pesce

Pesce would be like the 4th or 5th most important player on the Canes if I'm understanding your question right; which is about where Nylander would fall correct?

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
so if you had a team and could start from scratch and you could only pick 1 0f 3 players to build your team around. Are you telling me youd choose pesce

You can't put it that way. Leafs already have Matthew's and Tavares at some point they will hit critical mass contract wise and have to unload one of the 2.

member 157595

You can't put it that way. Leafs already have Matthew's and Tavares at some point they will hit critical mass contract wise and have to unload one of the 2.

That logic may make sense for Nylander. One can make the argument that his salary may be better put to use on the right side of the defense, given our existing scoring depth, defensive troubles and projected limited cap space. Defensemen are generally more valuable than wingers, and while Nylander is capable of playing center at a high level he hasn't done it yet.

The logic completely fails when applied to Tavares or Matthews. What team ever gets better by trading elite centermen under 30 years of age?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How many teams are able to unload a RHD to play in the top 4?

Extremely limited.

Can Toronto be like Columbus and find a Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen?

Nashville has Weber and Ellis so they could afford to make that deal. How many nhl teams are that deep now?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Pesce would be like the 4th or 5th most important player on the Canes if I'm understanding your question right; which is about where Nylander would fall correct?

Matthews, Tavares, Rielly, Andersen, Marner. It's at least #6.

Wonder if Pittsburgh would trade their 4 or 5th best players for Detroits? Obviously a different scenario, but when teams have different makeups comparing 1 for 1 wouldn't always give equivalent values.

Edit: I think I may have misunderstood the discussion, were we talking about where Nylander would fall on the Canes compared to where Pesce is on the Canes?

Last edited:
Reactions: loki2185

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
That logic may make sense for Nylander. One can make the argument that his salary may be better put to use on the right side of the defense, given our existing scoring depth, defensive troubles and projected limited cap space. Defensemen are generally more valuable than wingers, and while Nylander is capable of playing center at a high level he hasn't done it yet.

The logic completely fails when applied to Tavares or Matthews. What team ever gets better by trading elite centermen under 30 years of age?

I wasn't implying the Leafs shoukd trade Matthew's or Tavaras. I stated that in this thread I heard Pesce is a 3rd pairing dman and to remember that. If you are implying that Marner is an elite centerman and under 30 years of age then that is a whole different discussion. Reason being, I do not see him putting up 90 or even high 70s points a season like a Crosby, McDavid, and Malkin did all under the age of 30 actually in their very young 20a. Those are what elite centerman do. Put up 100 points.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
So, if the Leafs want a RHD could the hurricanes make Hamilton available? Cause outside of him, I don’t see Faulk being a target for the Leafs. And TVR isn’t what the Leafs need either.

That contract of Pesce, really makes it hard for the canes to want to move him. Very good value.

So Hamilton for Nylander and fill in whatever needs to balance that off. Does that work? Or has Hamilton proven too valuable in his short time in Carolina?
No, but there are other teams in this league besides CAR. Good luck.

HC7

May 2, 2018

Except for the fact that Nylander plays on the Leafs and Pesce plays on the Canes...

Canes best player Aho would be 4th/5th on the Leafs.

Reactions: loki2185

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
And isn't an achievement of Nylander, either. You can't just throw out the 2015-2016 season just because it doesn't fit your narrative.

The 2015-2016 season is a season, but Nyander’s that year, consisted of 22 games. By season I mean a reasonable, plainly understood definition of 82 games or thereabouts.

Nylander splitting time between the AHL and the NHL doesn’t derail the narrative that the season after was Nylander’s first ful season of NHL hockey yielded 61 points. The very same number again the next year.

Do you think Nylander’s AHL numbers detract from the assertion that Nylander is an extremely valuable player ? I think it solidifies it. It confirms appropriate expectations going forward that it’s reasonable to plot an upward trajectory.

I think noting 22 games as something significant attempts to aid a narrative that cheapens Nylander’s pace...as a 19 year old. Remember, those back to back 61 point seasons are by Nylander at age 20 and 21.

Pray tell...What in my “narrative” is compromised by excluding a quarter of a season as though it were a season with respect to the sum of Nylander’s progress and production?

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
No sir not me. I'm as neutral as the country dubas and william are meeting in today.
upload_2018-10-17_23-50-8.jpeg

Reactions: ER89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad