Value of: Brett Pesce

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

loki2185

Sep 7, 2018
Pesce would be like the 4th or 5th most important player on the Canes if I'm understanding your question right; which is about where Nylander would fall correct?

no my question is if you could only choose one of nylander marner or pesce to start building a team around who would you pick. because people are saying the leafs players dont get pesce straight up in a 1 for 1 deal when pesce clearly has no business being mentioned with nylander and marner

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
no my question is if you could only choose one of nylander marner or pesce to start building a team around who would you pick. because people are saying the leafs players dont get pesce straight up in a 1 for 1 deal when pesce clearly has no business being mentioned with nylander and marner
"If you only had five letters to select a player, who would you chose?"

...and other dumb ways to compare these three players and evaluate hypothetical trade.

loki2185

Sep 7, 2018
"If you only had five letters to select a player, who would you chose?"

...and other dumb ways to compare these three players and evaluate hypothetical trade.

its the only way to evaluate a hypothetical trade. if you know nylander and marner are clearly better players than pesce. then why would pesce hold more trade value.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
its the only way to evaluate a hypothetical trade. if you know nylander and marner are clearly better players than pesce. then why would pesce hold more trade value.
It's the only way, huh? Ok, so are we talking at the entry draft or more of an expansion draft? Who else can I select from? Do I have any other players already or is this the first pick I get? Do I have a farm system I can call up from? What is the cap and do these three already have a contract? Will they sign with my team? Do they like big market lifestyles or do they want to stay out of the limelight?

Dumb.

loki2185

Sep 7, 2018
It's the only way, huh? Ok, so are we talking at the entry draft or more of an expansion draft? Who else can I select from? Do I have any other players already or is this the first pick I get? Do I have a farm system I can call up from? What is the cap and do these three already have a contract? Will they sign with my team? Do they like big market lifestyles or do they want to stay out of the limelight?

Dumb.

whats dumb is you guys cant admit nylander is clearly more valuable than pesce.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
He's not. I'd rather have an elite shutdown RHD that has scoring upside and anchors both our PK and can easily play on a 1st pairing for $4M per year for the next 6 years than a holdout primadona RW that has stagnated at 60 points, is likely carried by his center given his current RW went from blah to wow, and likely won't sign for less than $7M per year.

loki2185

Sep 7, 2018
He's not. I'd rather have an elite shutdown RHD that has scoring upside and anchors both our PK and can easily play on a 1st pairing for $4M per year for the next 6 years than a holdout primadona RW that has stagnated at 60 points, is likely carried by his center given his current RW went from blah to wow, and likely won't sign for less than $7M per year.

agree. id rather have nylander on the leafs showing just how elite of a d-man pesce is when they play each other

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
well be honest which player would you pick to start a new team with nylander marner or pesce
We forget that hockey is a business. If you go to an electronics store and can buy a 50-inch TV for $410 or a 65-inch TV for $700, then surely you are considering what you could do with the additional $290. I am a huge Pesce fan and admit Nylander is a better player, but I don't think he is 70% better, which is likely the difference in pay. Same with Marner except he is a 75-inch TV for $800.

So to answer your question: In a salary cap league I would choose Pesce.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
agree. id rather have nylander on the leafs showing just how elite of a d-man pesce is when they play each other
If Nylander was such a great player, why is it that pretty much every thread in here nowadays devolves into you all coming in with a "so how do we trade Nylander for him"

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Markus Nutivaara is signed to a better deal than Brett Pesce and has scored 23 points as a career high to Pesce's 20. Would you regard Nutivaara as more valuable than Brett Pesce? If so, why? If not, why? And in whichever instance, what's the difference measured in assets?

So 3 more points do not make a superior or even equivalent defenseman. Brett Pesce is clearly the superior player, even if he scores slightly less. Nutivaara starts significantly more in the O zone than Pesce (56.2% to 49.9%). Pesce's takeaway numbers are vastly superior and his giveaway numbers are equally better. Pesce blocks more shots and, for a guy not know for it, throws more hits. By almost every defensive metric (Nutivaara has a slightly better career +/-), Pesce is the better player.

I'm not aware of Nutivaara's availability, but I'd be very surprised if the Canes gave Pesce up in a trade. All of these discussions have been more about hypothetical value. When it comes down to it, Brett Pesce is super valuable to the Hurricanes and I doubt they are considering moving him....but crazier things have happened.

Sticks and stones may break my bones....

Reactions: MinJaBen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad